Need Serious Tech Help

All you tech gurus, I come asking helping. I am having issues with my editing software. My software is Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0. It is a legal copy purchased from Sony online. I have ran it for about 9 months without a single issue. I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an HP Pavillion dv6000, and I have been completely updated through windows. Yesterday I went to go edit some SOCOM footage, and got this error:

"An error occurred starting Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

Error 0x80070017 (message missing)

Details: Failed to intialize script host."

I have tried absolutely everything I know to fix an error. I started by Googling it and found that a simple reinstall should work. I followed the troubleshoot section of Sony step by step to uninstall the product, then reinstall. I went to boot it up, and again received the error. Upon rebooting my machine from the uninstall process I received this error:

"Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config

Parser returned error 0x80070017"

Seeing that the numbers were identical I googled Error 0x80070017, and found out this information: -2147024873 - ERROR_CRC

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I do not have the slightest clue what that means or how I can fix it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall my Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 and it claimed that it could not be uninstalled due to a 2318 Error.

ANYBODY that can lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and let me know if you have any questions or need further info.

ok, right after you get that error, go to start->right click "my computer"-> manage-> event viewer-> then check both system and application subcatagories. you should see the error in there, and it should give you much more info. i would reccomend copy and paste that into google, and try it using quotes because you will get a much more refined search.

Banshee, I have tried downloading the new netframe work 3.0 and 3.5 as well as uninstalling 2.0, and none of it has been successful. When I try to Install 3.0 or 3.5, this message appears.

ErrorMessage.jpg

COW, I was able to get the location that you mentioned and find the error, unfortunately, it did not help me much. Here is an image of what the error box looks like, I do not have a clue what to google.

ErrorDescription.jpg

After searching some more, I find another proposed solution on a forum, and my dad (who is a software programmer) thought that might help. I ran dos command "chkdsk c: /r" and upon boot up, corrupt data files on my C: drive were located and fixed. Instead of getting the old error regarding my software, I am now getting this error.

Error2.jpg

Naturally, I jumped back onto the Microsoft site and again tried to install .NET Framework. and got the same message. I get the feeling this could be a virus corrupting .NET framework. Any ideas?

well, re-run all your virus software in safemode, i hear that can help. and i just wanna be sure, did u un-install the .net framework? and if my memory serves me correct when i un-installed visual studio, i had to un-install .net framework and i had to do it in a specific order? also i think u might wanna try un-installing more then just .net framework. but dont do it yet, put up a screen shot of your "remove programs" box. i just wanna see whats in it.

OK, I'll start by saying that I know nothing whatsoever about Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I've never used it or seen it. What I can tell you, though, is this: whenever you receive errors relating to CRC's (cyclic redundancy check), it usually indicates bad media (bad CD/DVD, or bad spots on the hard drive). Without having run any kind of diagnostic test on the drive in your machine it's difficult to say how bad the problem is, but I can give you a few pointers that will hopefully get you going in the right direction.

First, if you have Windows XP installed, I'd begin by running "chkdsk". The easiest way to go about doing so is this:

1. Click Start

2. Select "Run"

3. In the Run dialog box, type in "chkdsk" (without the quotes) and hit enter/click OK

Using chkdsk in this fashion (without any additional switches) runs the program in read-only mode, meaning that it will find errors and display info about them, but it won't actually fix anything. Since you're using chkdsk to first get a clearer picture of the problem you're dealing with, this should be ok.

Keep in mind that there's no way of telling how bad off your drive is until you've done this. If you use chkdsk to fix the problem, the possibility exists that you'll lose data. The only way to really fix the problem is to use a utility like chkdsk, which marks the bad spots on your hard drive, and prevents the system from trying to write data to those bad locations in the future. Another alternative would be purchasing a new HDD, backing up what files you want to save, and then reinstalling on the new drive. Make no mistake, this isn't an enviable situation to find yourself in.

Were I you, though, I would begin by backing up anything/everything I wanted to save. Once that had been done, I'd turn back to chkdsk and see what, if anything, can be recovered once you set it to fix the problem (with any luck).

1. Click Start

2. Select "Run"

3. In the Run dialog box, type in "chkdsk /R" (without the quotes) and hit enter/click OK.

A small MS-DOS window should pop up informing you that the volume is in use by another process (or something similar), and ask if you want to schedule it to run when the system restarts next. You would then type N or Y to answer the question. If you answered Y, then go ahead and manually restart. The utility will run automagically when booting back up. When you run "chkdsk /R", it will automatically try to fix any errors that it finds, and will try and recover any readable info from bad spots it finds on the hard drive. Additionally, it'll mark those spots as bad, and prevent the operating system from writing back to those locations in the future. You'll likely effectively lose hard drive space when you do this, no way around it (and no way of knowing how much until you know how bad the problem is). Truthfully this is only a band-aid for the problem, though. Eventually it's likely that you'll have to get a new drive and reinstall, but this may allow you to keep on chooglin' until you can get that done.

I hope this helps. Sorry for so lengthy a response. :-[

After extensive discussion with another [sHO] member, we were able to resolve the problem. He set me up with two programs that I have never heard of before Tuneup Utilities 2008 and a special program to uninstall corrupted .NET framework. Whatever the problem was, it was within the .NET framework. We were able to clear off the corrupt version of the framework, which in turn allowed me to download the correct version, then reinstalled SVM Platinum and it all worked out. I appreciate the responses and support for those of you who came to my assistance here, it certainly did not go unnoticed, so thank you very much. I am really happy that all is well (at least for now) with my laptop.