help me build a new computer

i saw rooster's thread, and i almost thread-jacked it, but i figured i can start my own...

so, i am wanting to build a budget computer, i am wanting to re-use as many parts as i can. so far i have decided to go for the AMD phenom 2.6ghz quad core processor.. this site portatech.com has a cpu/mobo combo that seems to be a good price. tiger direct only has the 2.2ghz phenom available in combos..the mobo i'm thinking about going with is the ASUS M3A78-EM HDMI... i'll probably pick up some memory from tigerdirect since they seem to be affordable. i'll probably end up with 8gb of 800mhz.. may try to overclock, but i doubt it...

i'll be running ubuntu (linux) as the os.. i will go with the 64 bit version(cause its fancier?). otherwise i'd stop at 4gb of memory.

on to my questions...

1- amd vs intel - i have read reviews and know that the intel quad beats the phenom, but as far as bang for the buck, what do you think? this will be my 1st amd cpu... some people have said that they are good processors, and the price tag sure is nice... but....

2- memory - can i trust reviews on tigerdirect about memory? i don't need a gaming computer, but i want it to last a few years, at least. so i want upper middle quality when it comes to memory.. any brands to avoid or to look for?

3- power supply - i am skeptical that my current tower's power supply is good enough for the new setup.. i haven't cracked into my tower to know how many watts i have now, what would you recommend? maybe mine is good enough, i dunno.. i have an old HP tower with a 2.6ghz pentium4 in it. hp pavilion a340n.

i think those are my main questions... i have enough storage and i have all the drives(dvd burner) that i care about... so i don't want to get a whole tower..

what do you think, am i making a bad decision, or do you think it will work out..

i am not attached to any of my 'decisions', so please let me know what you think.

thanks,

-toq-

Lately Intel for CPU. The biggest thing you want is Cache, layer 2. If you can get a 4MB or 8MB Cache.

Ram is all dependant on motherboard. When you purchase go to Crucial.com

Power supply depends on add ons. If this is a gaming machine and you are going to do SLI 2 or 3 video cards you want 1200watts.

-toq- ]

i saw rooster's thread, and i almost thread-jacked it, but i figured i can start my own...

so, i am wanting to build a budget computer, i am wanting to re-use as many parts as i can. so far i have decided to go for the AMD phenom 2.6ghz quad core processor.. this site portatech.com has a cpu/mobo combo that seems to be a good price. tiger direct only has the 2.2ghz phenom available in combos..the mobo i'm thinking about going with is the ASUS M3A78-EM HDMI... i'll probably pick up some memory from tigerdirect since they seem to be affordable. i'll probably end up with 8gb of 800mhz.. may try to overclock, but i doubt it...

i'll be running ubuntu (linux) as the os.. i will go with the 64 bit version(cause its fancier?). otherwise i'd stop at 4gb of memory.

on to my questions...

1- amd vs intel - i have read reviews and know that the intel quad beats the phenom, but as far as bang for the buck, what do you think? this will be my 1st amd cpu... some people have said that they are good processors, and the price tag sure is nice... but....

2- memory - can i trust reviews on tigerdirect about memory? i don't need a gaming computer, but i want it to last a few years, at least. so i want upper middle quality when it comes to memory.. any brands to avoid or to look for?

3- power supply - i am skeptical that my current tower's power supply is good enough for the new setup.. i haven't cracked into my tower to know how many watts i have now, what would you recommend? maybe mine is good enough, i dunno.. i have an old HP tower with a 2.6ghz pentium4 in it. hp pavilion a340n.

i think those are my main questions... i have enough storage and i have all the drives(dvd burner) that i care about... so i don't want to get a whole tower..

what do you think, am i making a bad decision, or do you think it will work out..

i am not attached to any of my 'decisions', so please let me know what you think.

thanks,

-toq-

I'm no expert, but i just finished building mine last week..

1. I have the AMD, & that motherboard (ASUS M3A78).. 3.0 but only dual core (w/ 64bit Vista Ultimate)

2. I use newegg, & after i narrow it down by specs, then i choose by the rating (5 stars = 5 eggs) I got mine based on the price, & some award it got.. lol (a newegg award) Brand is "OCZ" - 4GB for $37 or 8GB for $74 ;D

3. This all depends on what Graphics card you get.. but definitely check your current power supply, & see if you even need a new one. (id go 100 watts minimum, higher than your new graphics card requires)

It sounds like you know whats up with PC Hardware, so im sure most of my info is useless.. lol

If PC gaming isn't your thing, id say you are good to go.!!

And probably for less than $600..? (ish)

Brands i've had, & like:

ASUS

EVGA

Antec

Corsair

thanks guys, i thought i was on the right track.. first time building one up and want to make sure i'm making a little sense.

i won't be getting a new graphics card(unless they don't work with the new mobo), sound card, or any of that stuff... no PC gaming for me.. i hardly have enough time for my ps3. also i just run a media server so the ps3 can output video on my tv... gonna use it for the monitor too. have to get wireless mouse and keyboard.

i'll check out my power supply, hopefully its good enough...

chili- are you happy with your build? running the 64bit OS? i had seen the ocz memory.. good price.

thanks again.

-toq-

aiming for 400 but will go up to 500ish... i'm f-n cheap. like take 2ply toilet paper and make 2 rolls cheap.