3D unhealthy for young children, warns Nintendo

According to Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime, entering the next gaming dimension might not be a great idea for all players.

Nintendo 3DS

Speaking to Kotaku during the E3 2010 conference, Fils-Aime warned that very young children shouldn't play 3D systems -- including the company's upcoming 3DS handheld, which boasts full 3D visuals without requiring special glasses.

"We will recommend that very young children not look at 3D images," he told the site. "That's because, [in] young children, the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed... This is the same messaging that the industry is putting out with 3D movies, so it is a standard protocol."

Fils-Aime believes children "under seven" should avoid using 3D technology. That could prove problematic for Nintendo, a company bursting with kid-friendly brands destined to act as showpieces for their 3D-enabled portable. The good news? The 3DS isn’t solely a 3D device; players can use a slider to toggle the intensity of the 3D effect. Turning 3D "off" renders the image in traditional flat 2D.

The 3DS, which is due out by March of next year, enjoyed rave reviews by the lucky few who experienced it firsthand at E3. Nintendo hopes the device will ultimately take the wind out of 3D leader Sony's sails, although Sony boss Kaz Hirai considers the 'naked eye' portable to be "imprecise.

FYI,, for all fathers here with young children, might want to look more into it

Thanks for posting that up, Hell. I knew it couldn't be good but never looked into it. I'm going to pass that around. Funny how he says it's the same messaging the movie industry uses. I hadn't heard a thing about it. I go to 3D movies and have never seen any message that states that.

BigMoneyNacku ]

Thanks for posting that up, Hell. I knew it couldn't be good but never looked into it. I'm going to pass that around. Funny how he says it's the same messaging the movie industry uses. I hadn't heard a thing about it. I go to 3D movies and have never seen any message that states that.

maybe it's cause the theater is just about 2 hours max of the exposure.And it's not like a gaming console where we have kids that can spend +4 hours daily playing!