Official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset Review

Review courtesy of http://playstationlifestyle.net/

PS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-feature.jpg

Sound design has become increasingly important in this generation of video games. Music and sound effects can help you to get totally engrossed in gameplay, but this can’t happen unless you have the proper setup. TV speakers just don’t cut it, and pricey surround sound systems consist of multiple components, each costing a small fortune. Many gamers just don’t have the budget for it, or the space, which makes wireless stereo headsets like Sony’s new official PS3 wireless stereo headset all the more appealing.

Priced at only $99.99, the official PlayStation 3 wireless stereo headset is the ideal solution for gamers on a budget looking for high-quality audio. Despite the affordable price tag, the build quality and audio fidelity is top notch. Sound is crisp, clear, and detailed. Don’t expect booming sub-woofer quality bass–you wouldn’t want it that close to your eardrums anyway–but there’s ample bass to give explosions plenty of boom.

These headphones feature 7.1 “virtual†surround sound. Having full surround sound is not only the best way to enjoy the sound in your games, but it can also give you an advantage. You can clearly distinguish an enemy’s footsteps creeping behind you, even if there is plenty of action going on ahead of you. Never let anyone sneak up on you again.

Normally, if you have a pair of headphones on, you can’t use a headset mic to chat. The official PS3 wireless stereo headset does both. On top of featuring stunning audio, you can also use it for voice chat in online multiplayer games. The voice chat quality is just as good as the audio quality, and that’s saying a lot. Along with a master volume control, there’s also a separate control that lets you toggle the voice to audio ratio. Maybe you want the in-game music loud, but you want to turn down the screaming punk in your squad – there’s an easy to reach slider for that.

Both volume controls are on the front and back of the left side of the headband. Turning on and off the device, as well as muting it, is as simple as pressing in the side of the headphone housing. The design is very minimalistic, which makes for a very sharp-looking pair of headphones, while still retaining all of the functionality you could want. The mic is retractable, so it’s not hanging in your face until you need it. Even with it fully extended, it’s more at the side of your face rather than covering your mouth.

PS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Virtual-Surroundfeature-150x150.jpgPS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Audio-Voice-feature-150x150.jpgPS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Master-Volume-feature-150x150.jpgPS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Power-Mute-feature-150x150.jpg

Best of all, these last about 7 hours on a single charge, keeping you in the action longer. When the power does begin to fade, they give you ample warning by showing a notification on-screen via the PS3. Simply plug in the same USB cable you use to charge your controllers (note: it doesn’t come with a USB cable) and within a couple of hours you’ll surrounded in high-quality audio.

These headphones are comfortable, too. The length adjusts to fit any size head, no matter how large your noggin is. The cushions are soft, and completely cover your ears for a solid, sturdy feel. This isn’t a flimsy piece of equipment and it screams of Sony’s signature sophistication and sleek design.

As good as this headset is, it’s not perfect. I wish these came with an AC adapter or a charger dock, but that’s only because I’d like to be able to charge them while my PS3 is off. Also, it’s not bluetooth, so you can’t just pair it with your PS3. Instead you must use a USB dongle to connect the device via 2.4GHz RF band. Newer PS3 models come equipped with only 2 USB ports, so needing one occupied to use this headphones is limiting. The headset does work with PCs and other devices, but the manual does state that it’s not guaranteed to work with all PCs. The virtual surround sound only works with the PS3, so it’s value is restricted. And although these headphones do indeed work with Blu-ray movies, the virtual surround sound does not.

Maybe you’re like me – you refuse to play games unless you can fully enjoy the sound. I have a top-quality surround sound set up; receiver, sub-woofer and all. But often at night, I can’t use it, my family is sleeping and I’d rather not play at all than play without the sound. With the PS3 wireless stereo headset, I can enjoy full-quality sound without sacrifice. But even if you don’t have the same issues I have, these are still worth a look. For $99.99, the build-quality and audio fidelity cannot be beat. If you want a headset that can be used on a number of devices for a number of applications, this may not be your best bet. But if you’re looking for a way to get the best audio experience out of your PS3 without bothering others or spending a lot of money on home audio components, I recommend these with the utmost confidence. These headphones rock.

PlayStation LifeStyle’s Final Score

graydot.gif

+Sophisticated design.

+Up to seven hours on a single charge.

+Top quality audio and voice chat.

headsetreview.png

I'm curious to hear what the UF community feels about this headset. Amazon has mine arriving next week.

Also, not that it matters much to me, but I'm surprised that that the surround sound doesn't work on Blu-ray movies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only I had 100 bucks laying around lol. I'm still using the Mic that came with SoCon. Hurts my ear like Hell. Oh well.

That is exactly why I wanted this new headset. The SoCon mic hurts like HELL after about an hour. I even changed the ear piece, and it still hurts my ear.

It is still a good mic and I have never heard someone complaining about they way I come across. Now I did hear the one they came out with later was a piece of crap. But the original SoCon PS3 headset is a good blu-tooth headset.

This review makes me kind of excited to get mine. Plus, it helps that I only had to pay $65.

Edited by IRISH BULL

Wrath;841357']You guys know they released a ps3 camo mic right? I mean if you don't want to justify spending 100$ on this which I would have done if not for the new camo I got go for that. Its smaller and doesn't hurt your ear at all I love it.

Really? That's the one I was talking about. I heard it wasn't that good. I know they redesigned it for comfort, but I heard the online talk function was horrible.

Really? That's the one I was talking about. I heard it wasn't that good. I know they redesigned it for comfort, but I heard the online talk function was horrible.

I haven't had any problems with it at all other then not being able to go across the house other then that, its comfortable, great sound quality also reduces noise like static. Has all the features the other mic had. Oh and the rubber from the ear piece doesn't come off lol. I never get complaints bout bout my sound.

Also forgot to add they have the controller coming out to match.

Edited by Neoblackhound

7hr on a charge... that is a tough sell for some people out there. Sounds like a good headset for those weekend warriors tho...

Do you think seven hours is short?! How long is the average charge length for a blu-tooth mic?

Seven hours is MORE than enough time for me. Hell, if I get four hours, I'm excited. lol

wonder how well this will work with ps3's that are using wireless network, since it's using the 2.4ghz range...

Explain that to me in layman terms please. lol

IGN.com Ratings for PlayStation 3 Wireless Stereo Headset

Full Article Link

Rating Description out of 10

6.0 Build Quality

Flimsy with some clear weak points, but for the price, what do you expect?

7.0 Audio Quality

Surprisingly good tonal performance, but lacking in surround sound effect.

8.5 Features

More features than any headset of a comparable price point, but limited in terms of fine tuning.

9.0 Ease of Use

Plug and play.

9.0 Value

Although inferior to other premium headsets, the price is tough to beat.

OVERALL

7.5 Good

Edited by IRISH BULL

I'm sure it will work fine. They didn't say there are any issues with connectivity

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

They didn't say they were using wireless either. I'm sure it will cause problems for some people, depending on what channel they use and assuming they aren't using 802.11a. Personally I don't use wireless for my ps3 but I don't like the dongle stuff.

Explain that to me in layman terms please. lol

It is using the same frequencies that wireless networks use, so it could interfere with your ps3's network connection (if you use wireless) depending on your local wireless network configuration.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

It is using the same frequencies that wireless networks use, so it could interfere with your ps3's network connection (if you use wireless) depending on your local wireless network configuration.

Ohhh, crap. That sucks if it interferes with my wireless connection. I've been wanting to hard wire my PS3, so this might make me.

I would assume that since they are both Sony products that they took this into consideration ... I'm sure it will work no problem because I run multiple wireless products and would be very unhappy if this caused issues

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Sony doesn't have a say over it, they are using frequencies set aside for consumer electronics to use- and your ps3 has no control whatsoever over what channel your wireless router is configured to use. That being said, you can run multiple 2.4ghz devices in your home but you will have problems if they are on the same channel or trying to use the exact same frequency (or sometimes even just close).

I would bet that some people using their ps3 and wireless will have no problems at all, while others will. It will be interesting to see what happens as these get more usage.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

"The Wireless Stereo Headset for PlayStation3 brings dynamic sound to your entertainment experience. Please note, wireless products may be affected by the presence of other wireless devices in the general vicinity. If you experience any unexpected performance with your Wireless Stereo Headset please contact us before returning it to your retailer.

For more information or assistance with your Wireless Stereo Headset, please visit: http://us.playstation.com/support/wirelessstereoheadset or call SCEA Consumer Services at 1-800-345-7669"

Wi Fi and Bluetooth have coexisted for years and any device that causes interference with EITHER system should be reported/returned to the manufacture as required. I doubt that this 2.4ghz wireless will have any negative effects on Wi Fi as this transmission freq is shared with many other wireless systems. While the warning label posted on the product may sound bad, I'm sure that these warning labels are common to all wireless products that meet the Bluetooth special interest group standards.

these headsets are NOT bluetooth, as it states in the review. If they were, you wouldn't need a usb dongle. I would not expect bluetooth (2400-2480 MHz range) to interfere with a 2.4GHz signal. Like I said before, these will most likely work fine for some people, but others using wifi are going to have issues. If you don't believe me, go check out the problem reports that are starting to trickle in on playstation forums...

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

these headsets are NOT bluetooth, as it states in the review. If they were, you wouldn't need a usb dongle. I would not expect bluetooth (2400-2480 MHz range) to interfere with a 2.4GHz signal. Like I said before, these will most likely work fine for some people, but others using wifi are going to have issues. If you don't believe me, go check out the problem reports that are starting to trickle in on playstation forums...

Yea, that sucks. Here is one thread or discussion.

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36287837#36287837

For me personally, I can just hard wire my PS3. I have been avoiding it because I don't feel like throwing the cord along my drop ceiling to my router. I'm laaaaaazy. Lazy until my gaming is messed up. Then I'm a workaholic!!