Douche bag.. I mean A-Rod, a team player.!?

I mean a TEAM PAYER..!!

A-Rod could pay Marlins' salaries, still have $6 million left

By 'Duk

Alex Rodriguez might be laughing in this photo, but I swear this isn't an April Fool's joke. The Associated Press just did a study of baseball's contracts and found that the Yankees third baseman makes more than the entire roster of the Florida Marlins combined.

Not by a little, either.

At $28 million a year, A-Rod makes much more than the 33-member Marlins opening day squad (a total that includes its disabled list), which will take home a relatively shallow pool of $21.8 million in 2008.

While that's still a lot for any group of any people to split, it illustrates just how unbalanced baseball salaries can be in today's game. No wonder the Marlins don't have very many fans. Why waste your time with an owner who isn't even pretending to field a competitive team?

Here are a few other staggering facts about Florida's sad excuse for a payroll, which has been compressed as far as possible by owner Jeffrey Loria, who *claims* to be waiting for the Marlins' new stadium to open in 2011 to start spending money.

• Florida's highest earner, reliever Kevin Gregg, doesn't even make the league average of $3.15 million per season. (He'll make $2.5 million in '08.)

• Mets pitcher Johan Santana makes $12 million a year more than Florida's entire starting rotation.

• The Marlins' payroll is less than half of the next-lowest team, the Tampa Bay Rays ($43.8 million).

Of course, the ironic part is that while the Yankees will again be the top spending team with a $209.1 million payroll, the Marlins have won a World Series more recently (2003) than the ol' Bronx Bombers (2000). And, yes, Loria was technically Florida's owner back then.

Still, that's no excuse for him to field one of the barest bones teams that baseball has ever seen. If it weren't so pathetic, it'd be a lot funnier than it already seems.

Thats fukin sad.. :'(

Well what do you expect from a team that can't do anything but buy their talent. They have to buy players that where created by other teams farm system. Oh well they sure are getting those championships right? Oh wait whens the last time again I can't remember it's bin so long. Yankee fans are spoiled so much they cry about A Rod striking out and they don't say shit to Derek. A-Rod is the best on that team and he still gets boo's.

yea i dont watch or follow much of any pro sports.. gave up on that along time ago.. just recently started watching NBA again.. but i agree totally with you, college seems to still have real competition.. i cant stand the fact that almost all major events now take on the sponsor names and what not.. stadiums named after cell phone companys..etc.. its pretty much like they have it in BasEketball the movie... i know they need money to stay top notch.. but the line should have been drawn a long time ago if you ask me..