• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RNG187 ]
CpT_NuTJoB ]

You will get better Everyday sound out of a couple 12's or 15's IMHO

well, i'd like to find out for myself. i have kicker L7s in the cobra, 12" so i'd just like to hear the jackhammer to see if its what i really want.

well trust me...

It will take alot more then 12k to get the same sound out of the 22 then it would out of 4 12's

check out the 22s. they might be super bad ass.. since money's no option, and if you like the 22, get one, 2 15s and 2 12s. maybe 2 8s or 10s, but who cares.. you'll need seperate amps for each size, but moneys no option. and get comp level.. with as many watts you're gonna throw at these things you don't want to be blowing them.. my friend has 7k watts to 3 15s, high end JLs and he kept knocking magnets off them.. sure replaced for free, but then he had no bump for a few days. he had too much power, imo... he also had to get a real high end eq...

make sure you have the square/cubic footage for all the proper sized and tuned(frequency) boxes for each sub size. ported!!! it'll be a crazy custom box with dividers, i'd imagine, or multiple boxes..go thick and fiberglass coat. 3/4" plywood(no osb/particle board), min.

you'll need to get crazy with your door speakers in order to keep up. don't forget tweets. you'l need amps for both of those too. but ... moneys no option...

also you'll upgrade your battery(batteries) and your alternator. but you know that, i'm sure..

don't forget, to use lots of sound dampener/ i forget the name/ foil backed thick adhesive rubber/dynomat, but the stuff on ebay is cheaper for the same material... but you can get the name printed on it for 3x the price. or so... moneys no...

lots of work on the install, in order to install dampener and wiring, but... moneys no.. sorry i'm just jealous.

i'm serious about the dynomat. you'll need it.

shop around for a good install team.. everyone will jump to be able to set up your system. make sure they will fix all rattles that pop up from time to time.

i also just hope you have the space for all that.. probably would take up the whole bed of the truck..

or you could back off and just go with 2-4 15s and 2 12s and 2 8s(could delete) that should fit nicely.. if you go with the 22, i'd also get 2-4 12s if space is a problem, cut out the 15s if you have to...

-toq-

i've got wood. post pics.

i only say get the multiple sizes, since each size hits a different tone better.. if i could i would.. i only roll with 2 15s. way better than my old 12s and deeper tones.. i listen to alot of rap and jungle. and some of everything else...

did i mention sound dampener? also get frequency filters for the different speakers. each size has a range they should get filtered down to. subs and doors.

and no offense to NutJob, but you'll never get 12s to sound like 15s or 22s. physics is a mofo. its all about cone size pushing air. similiar, as loud as, sure, but the same? nope. maybe to the human ear, but still not the same.

did i mention i'm jealous and have wood? plan out how much space you have/need before you commit. at least you won't have to go grocery shopping.. no room.

-toq- ]

and no offense to NutJob, but you'll never get 12s to sound like 15s or 22s. physics is a mofo. its all about cone size pushing air. similiar, as loud as, sure, but the same? nope. maybe to the human ear, but still not the same.

No Offence taken, What I'm saying is that if all you want to d is DB drags then the 22 is for you, If you want to listen to ur tunes while driving around then the 22 is not what you want , I never meant to imply that you will get the same sound from 12's or 15's but you will get better sound ! if the proper box is built.

The 22 IMHO is not an every day speaker.. We were approached by MTX at the Spring Break Nationals last year to use there stuff and decided not to.

and again I stress this is my opinion

oh, i agree with you in the real world, nutjob.. for normal people(like me) a 22 would never even be a thought.. not even an 18.. it was only after years of 12s that i even desired the 15... if i had a smaller vehicle, i'd go back to 12s...

it just seems like RNG wants a 'not so normal' setup.. that's all.. besides at 400 pounds and 3' deep(?) that thing has to be impressive looking.. even if it isn't practical for normal music.

i wonder what size box is needed for that thing? half a house?

anyways, in reality i do agree with what you are saying.. if there was a budget factor i'd give up on anything bigger than a 15. but that's me..

-toq-

with a 22, their clothes just might fall right off.... ;)

i left my buddy a message, he's into the whole 'tuner' scene, so i'm sure he can send me to the best.

toq, if you've got wood, then go rub a few off. ;)

toq said it best, i'm not looking for an everyday system for everyday use. which is why i immediately thought of picking up the MTX 22" instead of 12s and 15s. if in your BEST opinion, and using your BEST judgement, the 22" isnt the best option, then i'll count it out.

listen to it and see.. but.. you'd do fine with something like 4-15s 2-10s or whatever mix you think best...

personal opinion, tastes.. you know...

i doubt you need to spend a fortune...

alot depends on the exact vehicle you're putting a system in.. and what your plans/uses for that vehicle are.. also how/if you want to display the system...

quality always is tasteful. while i'm not cool enough to have my rig dampened, i highly recommend it. makes a world of difference.

good luck,

-toq-

oh yeah, i took your advice, btw... :P