Why Im a Dog Lover

Family Dog Takes Bullet to Save Family

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A family dog made a lifesaving move when the family needed him most.

The pit bull is more than a friend, even more than a companion and family members said he's the reason they're alive.

The family's hero is their pit bull, D-boy.

Roberta Trawick was sitting on the couch when a man busted in, through the front door.

"He came in, pointed a gun at me and said, 'Get down on the ground'," Trawick said.

The next thing Roberta knew, D-boy ran in from another room, ready to attack.

"I was too scared to move, I didn't know what to think," Trawick said.

But before D-boy could get a hold of the intruder, the man started shooting.

"I seen him shoot the dog twice," Trawick said. "He shot him once in the head and he was still going after him and the guy shot him again.

"

D-boy was shot three times, altogether. The intruder, apparently spooked, took off out the front door.

To donate to D-boy, you can send a check to:

Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Hospital

1800 W.

Memorial Road

Oklahoma City, OK 73134

* Checks can be made out to VECCA and please add D-boy to the memo line.

"It is amazing, it's amazing that he want after that guy, and that I still have a family," family member Angelic Shoemaker said.

The family has no idea why the man broke in or how D-boy survived.

"The vet said if it wasn't for his hard head he wouldn't be here," Trawick said. "He's got a hard head.

"

That hard headed pit bull was determined to protect his family, and a family that owes a debt of gratitude to their four legged friend.

"I'm sorry my dog got shot, but I still got my family and we still got our dog," Shoemaker said.

The family now faces another obstacle. They don't have enough money to pay D-boy's medical bills. So far, they owe around $1,500.

Police are still looking for the man who shot the family dog. If you have any information, call Crimestoppers at 405-235-7300.

LOL....when I read "Dog takes bullet to save family" I thought some dynamic dog jumped mid-air when the bullet was fired to PURPOSELY catch the bullet sailing at his owner.

LOL....the dog was probably just pissed off that he got woken up.

Cool story. Hope some help arrives to them.

That title was just a little comically misleading. ;)

LOL even still, I love hearing stories like that. I hope the dog pulls through.... It's sad to know those type of dogs have such a bad rep. It's not the dog it's the people who have these dogs who make them so violent. My old man has a part Red wolf, part Grey wolf, part pit. That big s.o.b. is the most lovable dog you'll ever meet. Until you mess with his house that is...

Guest CplKoontz

One other good thing is it was a Pit bull, Pits are getting a really bad rap because of fighting, even though it isnt the dogs fault... There are some groupdthat want to make Pits extinct because of fighting.

I've owned Pit Bulls most of my life. I got my first when I was 7 and I'm now 26. They are the most tenacious, loyal and loving dogs I've ever been around. All of the ones my family has owned are enormous babies until the family is endangered, family also including "Animal family members"

My parents currently have two and a Boston Terrier. Conan our now oldest male at 2 and a half is best buds with Diego my fams Boston Terrier. Diego definitely has a bit of the napolean complex so he goes around and typically starts a little sh.it with whomever or whatever and Conan is often his back up. I will always own at least one and am currently waiting to get my first on my own. My gf and I have a 6 mo old Doberman and had a one year and 3 month old Chocolate Lab show up at my front door around thanksgiving in need of rescue.

Wonderful, WONDERFUL dogs that far too often get a horrendous rap because of the often ignorant masses that seek them out for fighting and image purposes. It's 100% a "owner-issue" with the bad rep Pit Bulls receive. My first Rocky was the best dog I've ever owned and he lived to be 17 with a lot of tender love and care.

Great story as well.

Good story, I'm a dog lover myself and have owned a Staffordshire Bull Terrier for 2 years now. I have been around dogs all my life, all dogs of the Bullie breed are known for their loyalty and their courageousness. They will fight to the death for their owner which roots back to its history as a fighting breed. Those of us who own them get the pleasure of seeing the other side of them, the cuddly loving couch sleeping balls of joy that they really are. Blame the deed, Don't blame the breed. Hopefully I can get my new sig made with her pic in it.