Sony to Offer Streaming Major League Baseball Games on PS3 (MLB.tv)

The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd -- that's right, baseball's back, and the boys of summer and the PlayStation 3 are apparently setting up to become a winning team! ...OK, so maybe some of us here are bigger News Radio fans than baseball fans, but for those who are baseball fans, here's some exciting news: The New York Times reports Sony will soon be offering streaming Major League Baseball games on the PS3.

According to the Times report (via Joystiq), Sony will announce today that they're bringing the MLB.TV service to their console. The service allows subscribers to watch live streams of out-of-market baseball games online, but not local games or games already being broadcast on TV (which, presumably, you wouldn't need a live stream to watch anyway). Access to the service will reportedly come by the end of the week, but a specific date of availability wasn't given.

No pricing details were given, either, with the Times report simply saying that "users of the PlayStation Network online service will be able to gain access to the existing MLB.TV package." There are different subscription plans for MLB.TV on the PC, which run between $99.95 and $119.95 a year or between $19.95 and $24.95 a month.

Interestingly, the New York Times also reported earlier this year that Microsoft was having "in-depth discussions" with ESPN to bring their online streaming sports service to the Xbox 360, but no announcements (yet) have come of it. With this MLB.TV deal, it looks like Sony is carving out ahead of their biggest competitor when it comes to streaming sports coverage on game consoles.

Without a doubt it is worth it for the Premium at an extra $20 a year. The plug-in is available for download on the PS Store at no additional cost. I downloaded it last night and I was having issues getting the code to work to link my account. I will try it again tonight. I am pumped to see how it looks through the TV via the PS3 instead of the laptop.