I need a new GPS thingie

So currently I have the Garmin Nuvi 200w, an older model that has finally crapped out on me. I've done a hard reset and updated all the firmware, and it still won't locate satellites. If I sent it back, they'd replace it for me with a refurbished for $69. Eff that. So I want to buy a new one.

I want to stick with either Magellan or Garmin...but I don't know what are the best bang for buck models out there now....I'd prefer to stick under like $180 bucks...any ideas?

Have you thought about just scrapping the whole idea of a GPS unit itself and replacing it with GPS you can obtain on cell phones nowadays?

I was thinking about getting a GPS unit for Christmas last year...but then in early December I bought my Moto Droid....problem was solved...with a LOT of added features and capabilities.

I can't add much value in the actual GPS unit discussion, only because I have never bought or used one.

But I use the GoogleMaps and Navigation on my Droid nearly every week...and it has yet to fail me.

It's very convenient to have this app and eliminating any need for another piece of electronic equipment.

i have, and i do use googlemaps on my iphone, but driving back and forth to clients is when i generally use my phone for personal talks with girls i'd rather not talk with if i'm doing something else, and/or talking with other clients during the day...so I need a standalone unit.

Maybe some ideas of what features are key, etc? I just need to go from point A to B, altho I'd love to get updates on traffic and stuff, I probably wouldn't pay a premium for that

i just bought this a few weeks back

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-NUVI-855-4.3-Portable-GPS-with-Speech-Recognition-and-Spoken-Street-Names/12509601

working in the natural gas field, we have about 1200 well sited that we travel to frequently. the oil company had all the locations plotted, and with the sd card, i can take it to their office and have the entire field map put onto it. then i just type in location numbers, and it gives me very accurate directions. we have since ut them in all of our trucks, especially handy for new hires that cant red a paper map, lol.

the quality is good, the price is very fair, and for me the sd card slot is invaluable ;)

I have a garmin nuvi 600 something I like it it works It plays mp3's , bluetooth to my phone and probably a hundred other fucking things that I don't use. I would buy another one if this one broke for sure. I had VZ navigator on my phone for a trip down to FL this year and It worked great but,it sucked the life out of my phone.

By the way is this for you Javelin? You bastard....LOL

haha I can't help it if you guys cluster together! Some snipe with a rifle....I snipe with a javelin! and i dont even have danger close on! I had over 1200 kills before I prestiged.

oh, i'm looking at this magellan

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Magellan-Roadmate-2036-Automotive-GPS-P2383.aspx

Wow, times have changed. It's an actual link and not a Rick Roll. ;)

I have the Garmin Nuvi 200 I think. It gets me where i need to go. Don't know much else about them. My Sprint Nav on my phone sucks unless they've upgraded it. It didn't work at all for walking. I was all over Chicago before I realized what it was doing to me.

I have the Garmin 255W. I got this one because it can save points and you can route them. The way I understood it is that not all had that feature. Pretty cool though. I go to a lot of Garage Sales. And there's a website that lists all the sales and I can download them onto my GPS. All of the addresses then routed for me automatically based on where I'm at. Also the information about each sale is displayed, the actual ad that someone placed on craigslist or the newspaper. Pretty cool...

But the main thing was the being able the add more then one destination and make a multiple route was the thing for me and not all had them.

Pathogen- ]

haha I can't help it if you guys cluster together! Some snipe with a rifle....I snipe with a javelin! and i dont even have danger close on! I had over 1200 kills before I prestiged.

oh, i'm looking at this magellan

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Magellan-Roadmate-2036-Automotive-GPS-P2383.aspx

i tried the magellan path, and the only thing didtn like, and i dont know what yuor conditions are, is that i spend my entire day in an oilfield on shitty dirt roads. it is NOT durable. just the vibration and bouncing in the cab of my truck destroyed it. the garmin is way better quality.