Sony Patent Could Solve a PS3 Slim Mystery

• Directors

ps3-slim2.jpg

If you haven’t heard already, Sony has patented an alternative to software emulation when it comes to backwards compatibility. This new patent is an external device that essentially contains the architecture of a PS2 with no disc slot because your PS3 will act as the disc drive.

Sony has been very evasive about the topic of Backwards Compatibility. We have no idea if Sony will implement this device in the future, but I believe we just might because of a little mystery the PS3 Slim created.

This patent could explain why they didn’t take out the feature to create a PS1 and PS2 internal memory card when they made the PS3 Slim.

Think about it, Sony is a bunch of planners. They didn’t just whip this patent out of thin air. I’m sure they already had the plans ready for this when the Slim was being created. Why wouldn’t Sony take the ability to create internal memory cards from the Slim if they were committed to not giving PS3 owners Backwards Compatibility? Sony knew that the feature would come in handy in the future.

Remember, the patented device doesn’t contain a HDD, just the RAM, CPU, and GPU, so you will definitely need it to save PS2 files. The PS2 could also play PS-One games, so that angle is handled as well.

Would you buy this adapter if the price was right? I think I would, but my PS2 library isn’t as impressive as some gamers out there.

Diagram-article_image2-500x270.jpg

//

gfx.php?type=thumbs&value=0

Score: 0 (0 votes cast)

powered.png

Urgent Fury Command: digg.png sphinn.png delicious.png facebook.png mixx.png googlebookmark.png blogospherenews.png email_link.pnglinkedin.png live.png msnreporter.png myspace.png pdf.png twitter.png yahoomyweb.png yahoobuzz.png blogplay.png diigo.png dotnetkicks.png friendfeed.png linkagogo.png linkarena.png myshare.png ping.png yiggit.png addtofavorites.png

More...

already have the adapter its called my PS2 hahaha, but you have to think it will be relatively cheap due to the fact that you can still get ps2's for cheap it also doesn't show that the adapter takes discs so makes me wonder what it has in there that the ps3 doesn't most likely some kind of processing unit

willywonka159;816703']I still have a backwards compatible 80GB PS3 that actually works.

Me too!!! but for how long.. lol I try and use my slim more then my 80... but i have used all of my share accounts for inadub and they are all on the 80 .. i should switch them so if and when it craps i can still use my DLed content.. Sharing has good and bad effects ... like when you share games w/a friend and his ps craps out.. TWICE!!! lol