Sony 2.40 Update Concern

I've been reading on the Playstation forums of people who had a successful install are now having problems as well. The "rumor" is that 2.40 works like a slow infecting virus and slowing bricks your PS3. Is there any validity to this rumor?? I figured with all the computer professionals here at UF, I would get a better answer.

I was thinking of not turning my damn PS3 on until they get this issue resolved. I played a little GTA IV for about 30 minutes without any problems, but I don't know. I'm afraid of what I'll do if my PS3 bricks on me, my TV and my whole living room might be at risk from my out of control temper. lol

no dude chill out, i ahve it i have been using it and no problems, except the xmb froze on me once while i tried opening a message and that was it. what i heard that happens is and this happened to my friend, you get the update, you get the xmb, then for some reason or another it causes lag in games, turns off your ps3 at random opens itself up and sometimes wont let you play certain games, but this has only happened to one person and apparently today he said it was fine.

Don't be concerned. That's just silly. Issues happen all the time with the millions of PS3s all over the world. The thing is, when a new update happens and its successful and one of these common issues hits, they PS3 owner instantly attributes this issue to the new update. This is usually not the case and is just one of the PS3's few common technical issues.

Sony has stated (on the official PS Blog) that they have NOT had any problems relating to update 2.40 prior to a successful install from anyone. I'm sure they've had people call up and claim that 2.40 bricked their system, but they really don't know what they are talking about and the tech guys at Sony havent dealt with a legitimate issue relating to 2.40 after a successful install.... yet.

So be at ease!

Guest -CUESGIRL-

I started having problems with my 60g PS3 after installing the 2.40 firmware update. Yes I installed it properly too. Everything worked great until my PS3 just froze mid game while playing CoD. I had to shut it off from the back of the system, I rebooted and kept playing until it froze on me again. I haven't played my 60g since then, I am waiting for them to fix the firmware problem.

Prolog39 ]

Sony has stated (on the official PS Blog) that they have NOT had any problems relating to update 2.40 prior to a successful install from anyone. I'm sure they've had people call up and claim that 2.40 bricked their system, but they really don't know what they are talking about and the tech guys at Sony havent dealt with a legitimate issue relating to 2.40 after a successful install.... yet.

So be at ease!

Where did you read this on the PS blog, can you provide a link please? I have been all over that site today and I can not see a post in reference to what you are talking about. Thanks. :)

Tinkerbell. ]

Where did you read this on the PS blog, can you provide a link please? I have been all over that site today and I can not see a post in reference to what you are talking about. Thanks. :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/02/firmware-v240-status/

If you scroll down, one of the reps responded to the question of a successful install.

Tinkerbell. ]

I started having problems with my 60g PS3 after installing the 2.40 firmware update. Yes I installed it properly too. Everything worked great until my PS3 just froze mid game while playing CoD. I had to shut it off from the back of the system, I rebooted and kept playing until it froze on me again. I haven't played my 60g since then, I am waiting for them to fix the firmware problem.

Prolog39 ]

So be at ease!

That's you assuming it has anything to do with firmware update v2.40. ;)

Guest -CUESGIRL-
Prolog39 ]
Tinkerbell. ]

Prolog39 ]

So be at ease!

Very true.... I would like to read that post you refer to on the PS Blog myself to make up my own mind..... still waiting on a link though... ;)

Tinkerbell. ]
Prolog39 ]
Tinkerbell. ]

Prolog39 ]

So be at ease!

Very true.... I would like to read that post you refer to on the PS Blog myself to make up my own mind..... still waiting on a link though... ;)

I didint provide it for you because Irsh already did above. It's a response to someone asking if there were any reports of problems after a successful install. Jeff Rubenstein then confirms that there have not been.

Tink read everyones post. Irish put up the link for you.

IrshZ28 ]
Tinkerbell. ]

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/02/firmware-v240-status/

If you scroll down, one of the reps responded to the question of a successful install.

I've had no problems after updating my Launch 60G. yes the XMB does appear to make loading icons and stuff slower but it's just the nature of the beast...U do have a game running too so don't expect super fast.

Now with the 100 friends list increase u'd expect icons to load slow just as it does when ur not signed in to PSN and loading for first time.

I have not had any probs messaging in game either...aside from getting killed! LOL

Guest -CUESGIRL-

Okay I went and looked through a lot of the comments on the PS blog regarding Firmware update 2.40. They only respond to comment 5 and then Sony ignores the following 2009 comments on the subject. There are a lot of people experiencing sudden problems with their PS3's after having installed Firmware 2.40. There seem to be a wide range of problems occurring depending on the game being played at the time, the only thing the same for sure is the problems started after the update.