New TV purchase...advice requested

Guest OMNI

Ok guys,

So the other day I found myself standing staring at the giant wall of TV's at the local BestBuy. I stood there frozen with paralysis by analysis. Then of course, I was approached by the bestbuy TV monkey who clears up nothing for me and only complicates things with, "well, they are all great, it's really about your personal preference." Ya know what bestbuy sales monkey, save it for the next idoit!

So guys, I need you help. My budget for a new TV is around $1,600. It will be my main living room TV and will mostly be used for cable shows and movies (shocker I know). When my girl isn't doing one of those I will play Socom on it.

I've done my own research and have a base knowledge of the various options, but I'd love to hear any info you guys have gathered and experiences you have had and reviews about both the TV's you currently own or have looked into buying as well as your overall buying experience(s). And MOST IMPORTANTLY your recomendations.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

-OMNI

i also agree w/ LCD and a great time to buy.. i just got a full 1080p 37" Sharp LCD for around $1350 at Video only.. i saw the same exact tv 2 nights before at the local FRY's and it was 230 more!! so if you have a Video Only i would go there... they pretty much have TVs only.. oh yea and they gave me a 12 foot HDMI cable for free...

Red0ctobeR ]

DOn't do anyting until Goat replies to this thread he is the mad scientist.

LOL!

Ok ok and I wasn't going to say anything because heck you guys were doing a great job of things already.

but WTH..

It's a highly precise series of options followed in a predetermined strict order which... yea right!! LOL..

eh I'll stop kidding round...

First thing to consider is size.. "err but I was told size doesn't matter!" well that's a lie we all learn eventually.. LOL. Size!!! is determined by available space you have as well as personal preference and of course the amount of change in your pocket.

Next to consider is use... what will be the main use of the TV? Cable? Sat? DVD? PC? Gaming System? you should sort of pre-determine the order of which each is a priority.

Now that "you have your mind right Luke"... you know how big you can go.. how much is your budget and what you plan on using the set for. Your ready for that wall of Tv's at Worst buy or wherever you go.

But Goat that didn't tell me anything!! what should I buy!! LOL..

Ok first size: if it's over 40" then my first choice is plasma... under 40" then LCD. but the other factors have a play in the decision..

If you have the space then you can save big bucks by buying neither and going rear projection (they have gotten a lot better over the years and won't break the bank to purchase with an added bonus of a lot more size for the money).

And while we are talking money... then once you set your budget it's all about bang for the buck.. STAY away from EDTV.. these are not High Def they are Enhanced Def.. or in other words line doubled a good analogy might be Enhanced Surround sound claims.. this isn't surround sound.. no matter what you call it you can never get true surround sound from two speakers two speakers=stereo no matter what you call it... HD is High def and that's what you want.

Next you want the proper inputs... you want HDMI inputs the more the merrier as well as Component RGB and if you get lucky a analog 15pin PC input isn't bad either but that's only if you are hooking up a PC or a Laptop to the unit as well as other components.

And lastly use.. mainly a TV? then hell there isn't really anything wrong with today's Tube'd units as for Plasma vs LCD well your sending it a less then perfect signal if you don't have a Sat HD receiver or a Cable HD box so it really doesn't matter much... More for DVD's and movies then Plasma is the way to go... but again that depends on the size.. PC hook up's then LCD's outperform Plasma's.. Game systems? again it's a toss up as both will give you incredible picture quality.

Other factors: amount of use.. if your going to be using the unit a lot.. for example as a primary TV with several hours of use every night then LCD's have a longer life then plasmas which don't like prolonged use periods and tend to perform better with lessor per day usage times..

Last year's model over next generations higher cost..

yes if you buy now your hitting the market at a time when many manufacturer's are replacing the current series with new models.. Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Sharp, Audiovox, and LG to name a few. Sony, Viewsonic, Pioneer and a few others later on this year... however many of the new models are including a higher capacity resoulution for example this years release of Panasonics have seen that Panny is now producing many of their models with the newer HD resoulution capacity of 1080p (p=progressive scan) over 1080i (i=interlaced).. of course I just happen to have one of Panny's new units, a 58" plasma, which now has the 1080p capability and the PS-3 never looked better!!! Blu-ray movies appear like you are looking out a window... the clarity is that good!!..

Bottom line, it's all up to you... but once you know the size you want, the budget you have and the way you plan on using it then let those factors determine your choice and don't listen to a thing the salesman at worst buy has to say on it... typically they will push the unit that gives the retailer the best profit since that's what the manager said to do.. in most cases the better bargain is not the less expensive unit or the one that the salesman claims is a big savings over it's retail price..

I will now take off my AV technician hat since my fingers are tired from all this dayam typing, turn on my plasma and ps-3 and go shoot someone on Socom or RG-6. ;)

Peace yo,

Goat

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

i have a LG 50" plasma for watching tv, movies, etc. and love it, and a LG 42" LCD for my ps3. got both for 3$3500. only $1200 for the 42" and i love there customer service. plasma had a bad tube, they didnt fix it, replaced whole tv. and priced lower than a lot i looked at.

That Phillips is a winner!

but if you can find it locally for the same or similar price then don't buy plasmas or LCD's from online retailers.. return policies are usually non existant..

Also the one thing I'd be wary of is what stock rating the unit is.. all products are graded by the manufacturer at production Stock "A" no flaws.. Stock "B" minor flaws Stock "C" major flaws.. Stock "D" refurbished.. many of the flaws concern soldiering points on the boards or other minor imperfections.. the difference a reseller pays between Stock A product and Stock C is a huge difference.. it's the reason places like Sam's club and others have units at somewhat drastically reduced prices.. it's also the reason they never have the same units when you return a few months later..

By law a reseller does not have to disclose the stock grade of the unit.. the reason being the unit has the same manufacturer warrentee regardless of Stock Grade..

For me though I resale only stock A, it's not about the guarantee given by the manufacturer its about is my customers new TV in their house being used or off on a round trip to Japan for the next four months getting repaired.. ?

Your not going to get anyone to tell you the stock grade online and at most retail outlets.. hell I'm not even suppose to talk about it.. LOL.. I'll just say in cases of Discounted RETAIL electronic stores.. "you get exactly what you pay for".

Zero, I think you need to re-read his post.

Thanks you Goat and everyone for your help and input! I'll let you guys know which I go with.

-Omni