Question

So as I was reading through the "New Clan" topics that have popped up it made me wander. I was lucky enough to have fallen into the leadership of 101st. Lucky because I believe that without that happening 101 would not be where we are today. Not tooting my own horn but I have heard a couple good things about 101st and people occasionally ask me on how to do some things. So my questions are;

• How many people started (from scratch) the clan and built it into what it is today?
  • How many fell into it like I did and ran with it?
  • On a scale of 1-10 how hard do you think it is to start and maintain a clan?

Now this question is not to cause a dispute or anything like that. Don't answer it or any of them if you do not want to.

If you were to start a clan what clan(s) would you approach for advise and why?

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

banshee and i started SxB together, and we had no idea what we were getting into. we got people really slow at first, then had a HUGE amount of apps come in all at once, and now we are at a pretty even pace, getting 10-15 new apps a month. building the clan wasnt that hard. we knew what we wanted in the beginning, and had some excellent role models to look at in the process. the real challenge is maintaining a clan. people who played every night sometimes disappear for months, and there are a lot of guys out there that you really dont want on your roster.

we were fortunate enough to have played in the original BLACK tournies as members of +30, so we had the opprotunity to play with clans like APC, *S*, \H/, inu, and a few others i cant remember. when we started this clan, we had a pretty good idea of the kinds of people we wanted and the attitude we wanted to have from playing with these clans and seeing how each played and presented themselves.

Guest H.A.V.0.C

When I first started *S* it was, a very dark time for me, my mediclorites were very low, and I was suffering from carbon freeze sickness. But after that, it was allot like many others..... you start off slow and then all of a sudden your bigger then you thought.

I have to give TOW credit on helping me through the start, he was always giving me advice and heads up's on things he had already dealt with in his clan.

I think the biggest thing that makes a clan successful is a great website, strong and loyal core members, good friends and Michelob.

Between a scale of 1-10 I'll give it a 10, because its a never ending battle.

Black Ops was essentially created from scratch. Honor, Integrity, and Loyalty make up its foundation. Although we are fairly young and still growing we are made up of seasoned vets. Every negative encountered over the years has been accounted for and steps have been taken to help avoid them in the future.

After the cowardly split of WeTWORKs I was left with a shell of a once great clan. We decided to clear all reminders of the past away and start fresh. We spent a lot of time thinking about what we had experienced, both good and bad, over the years with both our own clans and other clans. Decisions were made to mimic some practices and policies used by other clans while making adjustments on others to better fit Black Ops. I'd have to say that Black Ops owes thanks to many individuals and clans both honorable and not so honorable. In the end we gained insight from watching them all.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd have to give it a 10. Maintaining a clan is like being the head of a company or a large household, it's not easy and will always have it's ups and downs. The key is recognizing your weak spots and doing what's necessary to strengthen them. Continuously surrounding yourself with like minded and honorable clans will allow you to see good ideas and policies in action and in turn will help you grow into a great clan.

H.A.V.0.C ]

I think the biggest thing that makes a clan successful is a great website, strong and loyal core members, good friends and Michelob.

Not sure about a Website being THE most important thing for a clans success, but i agree with the rest, & what everyone else has to say.! ;)

Recruiting isn't important at all actually (imo) people will come, & if they are our style they stay, if not they go.

Keeping the clan together & organized is what is most important. (they wont do it themselves. lol)

Long story on how I became Leader of TDH.

I was in a clan with my now partner in crime, BIRDOG. I dropped out of it and went to another. These clans were primarily SNIPING only clans. I had only been playing SOCOM for the first time for about 6 months. I kept nagging BIRDOG to leave the clan and start his own, I would join. Well he finally left....approached me and presented a plan for a clan, all sounded great. But there was a catch....he would be labeled the founder, and I had to be the LEADER. Basically....I do the PR work, and we manage the clan EQUALLY together for the most part. We formed a council so that it could be managed democraticly. We made it a point to express to the members that NO ONE PERSON IS GREATER OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE NEXT GUY. We formed a solid code of conduct together, and a strong recruiting process, then the rest is history. 2 years old and strong. We are not very big, but we are TIGHTLY knit.

Guest KingJunk

Well, with JyK question 1 and 2 fall into the same place for me because I did NOT create JyK but I rebuilt it from scratch. When I joined JyK back on S2 I always loved that name and I knew right then and there that this was the clan for me, but towards the end of S2 the leaders of JyK just stop playing, so I took over and then dropped in S3 and I brought it back again in CA and this is what its going to remain.

It is very hard to maintain a clan and this is one of the reasons I fucking miss Skipper, but ohh well I came to far to let the guys behind me down just like fucking Skipper let me down! Like HAV said its a never ending job and for it has become a job and a hobby and thats why I have done things like make myself available 24/7 by AIM.

**Skipper I am just busting ya balls man**

And for those of you who don't know who fucking Skipper is, He IS JyK co-leader, but the ass hole left us behind and decided to hang video games up for good ::)

Its no easy task to maintain a clan and you definitely need a good co-leader by your side!

Guest Skipper
H.A.V.0.C ]

When I first started *S* it was, a very dark time for me, my mediclorites were very low, and I was suffering from carbon freeze sickness. But after that, it was allot like many others..... you start off slow and then all of a sudden your bigger then you thought.

I have to give TOW credit on helping me through the start, he was always giving me advice and heads up's on things he had already dealt with in his clan.

What the hell is carbon feeze sickness?

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
Skipper ]
H.A.V.0.C ]

i hope your joking ::)

Skipper ]
H.A.V.0.C ]

Sorry but Really Skipper?

You just got your geek card put on suspension. And don't full yourselves people, we play video games and talk about it on the internet, We're all geeks.

Guest Skipper
Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Skipper ]
H.A.V.0.C ]

Sorry but Really Skipper?

You just got your geek card put on suspension. And don't full yourselves people, we play video games and talk about it on the internet, We're all geeks.

Yeah, I guess being white and nerdy only goes so far for me.

Chili-Palmer ]

A good Co-Leader is VERY important.! ;)

Yes this is extremely important. I have Generals that quite frankly have kept 101st up and running fairly smooth. (as smooth as one can expect). Without Hog Wild and Bandit I would only have players and a website and complete chaos.

So I am going to put this out there. Thanks guys.

We got started when we broke away from a tyrant leader. We just wanted to play Socom, war when we could, have some fun, and enjoy each other's company without too much b.s. Since leaving our old clan, we really are just a VERY SMALL group who plays when we can, without a named leader.

I like to think of myself as the "organizer." I do what I can to keep everyone up-to-date and in the know, keep our "website" updated, etc. We call stuntbutt and Fire-in-ur-hole our leaders, just cause we have to name someone on these dang UF applications. :) Our "clan" is the loosest form of a clan I think you can have and still call yourself a clan. Thankfully, we have been together long enough that there really is no need to police each other. But if someone needs policing, I guess that falls on the heads of myself, stunt, and fire.

When Socom comes out and if we all start playing on a more regular basis, we may work harder on being more structured, but to be honest, none of us really want the leader responsibilities.

I don't think our set up would really work for anyone other than ourselves and won't even work for us if and when we have new recruits or the clan starts to grow. Structure, order, moral code are all important. Those of us in AoV currently already know and follow "the way" but I think that a new recruit would have to be taught what is expected. (Another reason we aren't actively recruiting and growing.) Running a clan is a pain in the bum!

Hannibal. ]
Chili-Palmer ]

Yes this is extremely important. I have Generals that quite frankly have kept 101st up and running fairly smooth. (as smooth as one can expect). Without Hog Wild and Bandit I would only have players and a website and complete chaos.

I agree.

Delegating responsibility to those who are capable of handling it will help create a long future for your clan. If you're clan can self sustain when you take a vacation then you've got something good going.

BIGDANIEL ]
Hannibal. ]
Chili-Palmer ]

I agree.

Delegating responsibility to those who are capable of handling it will help create a long future for your clan. If you're clan can self sustain when you take a vacation then you've got something good going.

very true