My experience w/ Media servers on PS3

So for a while now i had been having some probs w/ my network when i turned on my ps3. The second it would get turned on it would literally suck all of my internet connection. If i was on my pc at all like YahooIM .. i would get booted.. if i was downloading any files at all.. they would stop. This would happen for roughly 60 seconds.. then my ps3 would get signed in and then it would boot me and give me a common error (forgive me i dont have the error code) and then all life on the rest of my network would recover and be like nothing happened. The ps3 at this point would not be signed in but it would remain on. This was a problem before i got my new router, and was also a problem on my old (60gb RIP) ps3.

So recently i tried to download the new socom beta patch, and i seriously tried atleast 50 times.. it would get to 1% and then it would fail. I would then get disconnected from the PSN and would change something like reset router, plug right into modem, try a different cable, used neighbors wireless connection etc.. all with same results.. no download. So after i got on to my neighbors connection and had the same issue i was pretty sure it was something to do w/ my account rather then my connection or network settings..

I spent over an hour on the phone w/ Sony trying to figure this out.. they walked me through all of the mentioned above ran multiple internet connection test on ps3 which was set up right correct and then finally the big question came.. "Are your media servers enabled or disabled?" and i was all proud to say that they were on cuz since they added it i couldnt get it to work and recently i got it to work.. which is a whole other story but i told her that they were on and she asked me to disable it. No joke on my first try i downloaded the socom patch.. then i realized that i had a few games that i couldnt even play due to not being able to download any of the updates.. anything that i could download in the background would not download.. every single update came in first try.. not only that i seem to have less problems on socom and other games now too.

Really i have no real proof of this being a fix for some.. however i have shared this info w/ some of my friends and there problems have also got better.. not all are solved.. but those who had problems w/ socom beta all seemed to be gone now.. i have not really looked on the net to see how much this issue is being talked about.. but until i called Sony last week i would have argued w/ just about anyone that the media servers being on wouldnt effect anything.. well im glad i didnt get into that conversation cuz i would have been wrong. She did tell me that having the media servers on that it adds extra stress to ps3 so to turn off when not using.. i think it might be part of the reason my , as well as other 60gbs went out.. but only time will tell i guess. Hope this helps any of you out there having any issues..

i have WMP11 and Tversity.. both work fine now.. my prob before was my pc was lacking updates that allowed me to do it. I had a corrupt file that wouldnt let me download updates.. i ended up needing to reformat. so once i had a fresh install of windows and i updated it worked fine.