Computer Question

Hey guys I am wanting to upgrade my RAM module and havelimited experience with it.

First question: Will I lose any of my system memory or saved apps on my computer if I upgrade?

Second: If I upgrade my RAM module will I get the speed I am wanting out of my computer using multiple apps at once? (Photoshop, Flash, Firefox all at once)

Lastly: If it isn't what do you suggest? (right now with baby here I have limited financial resources to go crazy)

I figured increasing my RAM would help me with my problem, and I figured it would be the cheapest start. I want to add I have a Dell and understand I am limited. I have an old Dell right now and have Very little RAM right now.

Also any Computer screens anyone recommends. I am looking for wide screen around the 20-24" range.

Thanks for any and all help.

RAM is random access memory. So, no, you will not lose any applications or information if you upgrade. Everytime you power down your computer, the memory stored in RAM dissapears. All your information and applications are stored on your HDD.

And to recommend what to upgrade, give me some specs on your computer such as the model of your Dell, your current amount of RAM, and if you are running XP or Vista (I am pretty sure you said XP).

Increasing your RAM does speed up your computer and allow you to multi-task.

Also, computers have a maximum amount of RAM that can be stored in your computer. My guess is that you probably have 512 MB of RAM, with maximum memory of 2 GB (but that's just a guess :D)

No I don't have 512, it is MUCH less. That is my problem. I think you answered my main questions. Dell has online application to recommend certain upgrades for my version of desktop. I believe that 512 is my max, so I think I may find one that fits.

Thanks

And yes I am running XP

MIwanski ]

Depending out what type of outputs you have. I found some cheap tvs on sale and use two of those as my comp monitors.

Red0ctobeR ]

My computer is an old Dell Dimension, So Comp hook ups only.

Also I found out that I can put a 1 GB card in my computer so I think I am gonna go that direction.

You can hook up your PC to your TV through DVI, or VGA. (at least you should be able to)

I think it depends on your TV connections, not your PC. lol

whoa, Now were talking,

The 1 gig that you can put it...is this all the board allows? I would assume it can handle 1 gig per slot and you have 2 slots.

I recomend you go to this site and run the CPUID program. It will tell you exactley what is in your pc and the memory type. This is very usefull. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

As for the monitor, What do you want it for...just the PC?

You can get a decent 22" widescreen for $149-$200 depending on the namebrand. I am only talking real name brands..You can get cheaper ones but I have never heard of their names.

Myself, I run a HP 22" LCD that has VGA and DVI input. I have my pc go to the vga and my ps3 go to the DVI(HDMI-DVI cable) Then with a push of a button I can be on either...downside....I cant see the pc while gaming(checking rosters is a bitch)

I also have a DVi port on my gFX card...So I have a dvi-HDMI cable running to the TV as well....this allows me to extend my desktop of the pc onto the tv....But If I do that, I might as well play the game on the 42" instead. :-\

Either way....let us know what cpuid tells ya...mabey a screen shot would help us out.

-Rooster- ]

whoa, Now were talking,

The 1 gig that you can put it...is this all the board allows? I would assume it can handle 1 gig per slot and you have 2 slots.

I recomend you go to this site and run the CPUID program. It will tell you exactley what is in your pc and the memory type. This is very usefull. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

As for the monitor, What do you want it for...just the PC?

You can get a decent 22" widescreen for $149-$200 depending on the namebrand. I am only talking real name brands..You can get cheaper ones but I have never heard of their names.

Myself, I run a HP 22" LCD that has VGA and DVI input. I have my pc go to the vga and my ps3 go to the DVI(HDMI-DVI cable) Then with a push of a button I can be on either...downside....I cant see the pc while gaming(checking rosters is a bitch)

I also have a DVi port on my gFX card...So I have a dvi-HDMI cable running to the TV as well....this allows me to extend my desktop of the pc onto the tv....But If I do that, I might as well play the game on the 42" instead. :-\

Either way....let us know what cpuid tells ya...mabey a screen shot would help us out.

Yea, you should play the games on the 42" and you can check rosters on the 22"..!? (at the same time.!!)

Rooster this is an old computer, We are talking I bought it in 2001. It is a Dell, like I said, and only certain parts will work with this peripheral. I will go with what is safe and get the 1G.

I am not playing video games on it, I just do Website upgrades and maintenance and Graphical work. So I don't need anything too extravagant. Like I said I am on a budget. Besides If I get myself a New Screen that will tap what I have allowed myself to spend extra on shit.

I just upgraded my memory on PC on Sunday. I have a older Dell Dimension also. I upgraded to 2gb. 2-1 gb. Here is what I used:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178101

I paid $53 for it, I see its $75 now. But my computer works awesome now. Granted I had a friends wife who is trained to work on Dell's to completely revamp it to work more efficiently. The main thing she did that helped was to remove McAfee and replace it with avast.

I'm also thinking about upgading my graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245

MaluNYMets ]

Hey Red I use to love dell and had dells for years. They really over price everything you might want to try some other avenues even amazon' date=' newegg or tiger direct.

[/quote']

Definitely! They wanted double for a 2gb memory card, than what I got it for. Hell, look what they charge for new ink cartridges.