Too much PlayStation may cause painful lumps

Too much PlayStation may cause painful lumps

Lesions on palms occur due to long, tight grip on console, scientists say

LONDON - Gamers beware: Keeping too tight a grip on the console and furiously pushing the buttons can cause a newly identified skin disorder marked by painful lumps on the palms, Swiss scientists said on Tuesday.

Called "PlayStation palmar hidradentitis" by the scientists, the skin disorder can cause painful lesions on the palms similar to patches found on the soles of children's feet after taking part in heavy physical activity, they said.

"The tight and continuous grasping of the hand-grips together with repeated pushing of the buttons produce minor but continuous trauma to the (palm) surfaces," Vincent Piguet and colleagues at University Hospitals and Medical School of Geneva reported in the British Journal of Dermatology.

A spokesman for Sony Corp, which makes the PlayStation, noted the study involved one person and said the company had sold hundreds of millions of the consoles since the product was introduced in 1995.

"As with any leisure pursuit there are possible consequences of not following common sense, health advice and guidelines, as can be found within our instruction manuals," Sony spokesman David Wilson said.

"We would not wish to belittle this research and we will study the findings with interest, but this is the first time we have ever heard of a complaint of this nature."

Public health issue

Excessive gaming is already seen as a public health issue, sparking addictive behavior that can lead to a range of psychological problems, the researchers said.

Other researchers have identified acute tendonitis from playing too much of Nintendo Co Ltd's Wii, and now a disorder related to the PlayStation can be added to the list, the team said.

Their study described the case of a 12-year-old girl who attended the Geneva hospital with intensely painful lesions on her hands, which she had developed four weeks earlier. She had no other lesions anywhere else on her body.

After questioning, the doctors discovered that several days prior to the appearance of the lesions the girl had started to play a game on her PlayStation for several hours each day.

The researchers suspected that grasping the console's hand-grips together with repeated pushing of the buttons produced minor but prolonged injury to the palm of the girl's hands, which can be made worse by sweating during a tense game.

The doctors recommended the girl stop playing and she recovered fully after 10 days, the researchers said.

"If you're worried about soreness on your hands when playing a games console, it might be sensible to give your hands a break from time to time, and don't play excessively if your hands are prone to sweating," Nina Goad of the British Association of Dermatologists said in a statement.

Link to Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29369122/

CDBS14 ]

This shit cant be for real' date=' lol. That kid had to have something ales wrong with her hands. thasts just ridiculous, lol.

[/quote']

don't forget it is a one test subject study, that alone makes it unreliable.

That's what I thought too but I was like...it's on MSNBC.com it has to have 'some' kind of credibility

clone4576 ]
CDBS14 ]

This shit cant be for real' date=' lol. That kid had to have something ales wrong with her hands. thasts just ridiculous, lol.

[/quote']

That's what I thought too but I was like...it's on MSNBC.com it has to have 'some' kind of credibility

they probably just needed a quick story to fill the days headlines, i doubt anyone here gets that type of injury from playing, and it all probably has to do with her hands not being accustomed to the controller.

CDBS14 ]

I got nothing' date=' and i play a ton. Myabe it is because i use that lubriderm stuff to keep my hands moist.

On the other hand this could be a way to show that you are basicaaly playing too much or you need a new controller because the PS controller is just damaging your hands.

[/quote']yeah but when you die in the first minute you get a 5 min break :P

STREETSWEEPR1 ]
CDBS14 ]

I got nothing' date=' and i play a ton. Myabe it is because i use that lubriderm stuff to keep my hands moist.

On the other hand this could be a way to show that you are basicaaly playing too much or you need a new controller because the PS controller is just damaging your hands.

i doubt she was playing SOCOM, LOL.

i wonder what game a 12 year old girl plays so that her hands were damaged?

CDBS14 ]
STREETSWEEPR1 ]
CDBS14 ]

i was talking about you rushing and dying in the eval wars we were in together :P

STREETSWEEPR1 ]
CDBS14 ]
STREETSWEEPR1 ]
CDBS14 ]

i was talking about you rushing and dying in the eval wars we were in together :P

ahh true lol. i just followed COW, he is too funny when he plays.

CDBS14 ]
clone4576 ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

they probably just needed a quick story to fill the days headlines, i doubt anyone here gets that type of injury from playing, and it all probably has to do with her hands not being accustomed to the controller.

exactly, most of us probably have a controller in our hands a hell of a lot longer per day than this person. Hell, I will admit it, i play PS3 way more than I should, lol....but my hands are fine. She has to be some freak case that someone has tryed to exploit.

CDBS14 ]
clone4576 ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

exactly, most of us probably have a controller in our hands a hell of a lot longer per day than this person. Hell, I will admit it, i play PS3 way more than I should, lol....but my hands are fine. She has to be some freak case that someone has tryed to exploit.

lol thats messed up, i mean if the controller bother you, you can just buy a new one that has a different design that fits your hand and comes with a ton of unnecessary items ( anyone ever heard of that madcatz controller that had a built in "hand fan")

CDBS14 ]
CDBS14 ]
clone4576 ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

lol thats messed up, i mean if the controller bother you, you can just buy a new one that has a different design that fits your hand and comes with a ton of unnecessary items ( anyone ever heard of that madcatz controller that had a built in "hand fan")

my old roomate had one, lmfao. It was ridiculous. stupid thing nearly electrocuted me once.

bleachrulez ]
BIeach ]
bleachrulez ]

i get nothing ' date=' well after 6-9 hours my eyes hurt like #$%^

[/quote']

I like your name....thanks for the compliment!!!! ;D

wow hey bleach , what a nice name u got !!!!! ;)

I may have to steal you for a few nights of Socom or whatever game you play so that I can show my clan members the type of PSN I expect them to have.... :P