Ford offering all 41,000 UAW workers buyout packages

uaw-ford-jackets-job-fair-getty-630.jpg

According to Ford spokesman Mark Truby, "Despite a strengthening in our business, we still have a surplus in employees." Union employees to be specific. As such, Ford has just announced plans to reduce its unionized workforce by offering a buyout package to all 41,000 UAW members currently employed by the automaker.

Reuters reports that Ford workers with at least one year of experience can take a payout of $50,000 plus a new car voucher worth $25,000 or an additional cash payment of $20,000. Retirement-age workers can opt to take their pensions plus the $25,000 new vehicle voucher or the $20,000 payment. Finally, skilled-trade workers that are eligible for retirement can opt for a $40,000 payout plus their pensions.

Ford says these efforts are necessary to remain competitive with foreign rivals and fellow American automakers General Motors and Chrysler, both of which recently went through government-sponsored bankruptcy proceedings and extensive reorganization. Earlier this year, Ford's UAW workers voted down a revised contract that would have essentially granted Ford the same measures that unionized auto workers had earlier extended to Chrysler and General Motors.

Workers who accept the buyout packages would leave sometime during the month of February, 2010. Any new workers hired as replacements will start at $14 per hour under the latest UAW contract, which is half of the current average wage of UAW employees being offered the buyouts.

MarauderHD ]

Hmmm... What would you do?

$50,000 would run out in a year for most people. Some of you Asses would spend it in a month. Vegas Baby!

And a New Car.

Although it's a pay out which they won't get it all at once. So it could work especially if you find other employment.

This would be good if you were unhappy at FORD...

If i read it correctly it says one year and you get 50,000? and if you already have a car you can get the 20,000.

Thats 70,000 bucks. I make around 45-50 a year.

I dont know a lot about the unions and stuff, because here in south carolina, companies dont like unions.

But me personally I would take the buyout and find another job.

RebelS_T_A_R_S ]

If i read it correctly it says one year and you get 50,000? and if you already have a car you can get the 20,000.

I dont know a lot about the unions and stuff, because here in south carolina, companies dont like unions.

where would you look to find another manufacturing job that would pay you $28/hr + ridiculous benefits in this economy? seriously, those UAW guys have it made.

RebelS_T_A_R_S ]

thats where the catch is the money for the car is like a really big gift card you have to spend it on a car...there car...

LuckyS_T_A_R_S ]
RebelS_T_A_R_S ]

thats where the catch is the money for the car is like a really big gift card you have to spend it on a car...there car...

actually lucky doesnt it say they can take a 25000 voucher for a car, or instead 20,000 cash correct?

meauxpack ]
RebelS_T_A_R_S ]

where would you look to find another manufacturing job that would pay you $28/hr + ridiculous benefits in this economy? seriously, those UAW guys have it made.

but what if the company gets rid of them anyways? then they are left with nothing, it says they want to get rid of some of them....I myself would take the money and find a new job...

Our millwrights at my work make 28/an hour easy, and most of the day dont do anything.

with the sweetheart deal the UAW has collectively bargained with the Auto makers, the chance of them getting shit-canned is very close to zero. Seriously, those guys have the best deal around. And although there may be some manufacturing jobs around for $28/hr, i highly doubt they carry the same benefits and security that the UAW offers.

meauxpack ]

with the sweetheart deal the UAW has collectively bargained with the Auto makers, the chance of them getting shit-canned is very close to zero. Seriously, those guys have the best deal around. And although there may be some manufacturing jobs around for $28/hr, i highly doubt they carry the same benefits and security that the UAW offers.

true true...

one thing I did see though that would be good, is that the people that can already retire, if they go ahead and retire, they still get their retirement plus 40,000.... now that would be good for someone who is ready to retire:)

I'm sure they will have quite a few people take the buyout. You forget how stupid and lazy most people are. "What? I can take a years salary and sit on my ass all day? I'm in!!" Those are the people they probably want gone anyways. Plus the retirement package is pretty sweet for the guys that are close.

BigMoneyNacku ]

I'm sure they will have quite a few people take the buyout. You forget how stupid and lazy most people are. "What? I can take a years salary and sit on my ass all day? I'm in!!" Those are the people they probably want gone anyways. Plus the retirement package is pretty sweet for the guys that are close.

That's a pretty close analogy. Im sure it might apply to "some" that enjoy sitting on their ass all day but a lot of your union membership DOES work and appreciate the wages they make.

Our company offered a deal this past month. Anybody could accept: $1200 for every year employed with the company plus a set $8000 & paid for any vacation earned the previous year if you agree to the "separation" and go in the month of February. Sounds like a "decent" deal but is really only attractive to somebody who was retiring anyways or somebody who just hired in. Guys with 18+ years (like myself) who still have 17 to go it would be dumb to take that offer and try and find a job at my wage in this economy.