Homefront Will Require Online Pass — But Renters Can Still Try Its Features Free

• Directors

500x_e32010-04-w800.jpg

The occupied-America shooter Homefront will require THQ’s Online Pass – a one use code that comes free in retail copies of the game – to access the game’s online multiplayer. But accommodations will be made for renters or used-copy purchasers.

Those without a valid code may still play online multiplayer on all maps, but may only advance to level 5 (out of 75 in the game’s ranking structure), reports Shacknews. There is no time limit on how long they may play, only the level cap.

THQ’s Online Pass, first implemented with UFC Undisputed 2010, costs $10 for someone who buys a used copy of Homefront with an expired or nonexistent code. It’s similar to Electronic Arts’ “Project $10″ and the EA Sports Online Pass. The program effectively gives publishers a cut of used sales, if a used buyer wants the complete game, anyway.

gfx.php?type=thumbs&value=0

Score: 0 (0 votes cast)

powered.png

Urgent Fury Command: digg.png sphinn.png delicious.png facebook.png mixx.png googlebookmark.png blogospherenews.png email_link.pnglinkedin.png live.png msnreporter.png myspace.png pdf.png twitter.png yahoomyweb.png yahoobuzz.png blogplay.png diigo.png dotnetkicks.png friendfeed.png linkagogo.png linkarena.png myshare.png ping.png yiggit.png addtofavorites.png

More...

i actually like the way this is set up you get to try the multiplayer at least, with other titles you don't even get a chance to sample the multiplayer, but honestly ten dollars and a rent fee is a lot less than you would spend on just buying the game in the first place. I mean i know it sucks to bust out extra money, but they gotta keep the lights on some how

lX-WOLF-D0G-Xl;822693']i actually like the way this is set up you get to try the multiplayer at least' date=' with other titles you don't even get a chance to sample the multiplayer, but honestly ten dollars and a rent fee is a lot less than you would spend on just buying the game in the first place. I mean i know it sucks to bust out extra money, but they gotta keep the lights on some how[/quote']

I think it's retarded.

Now if they were offering the best dedicated servers, or were offering every DLC free, then I wouldn't mind. I do mind however renting a title to see if it's worth a shit, only to find out you have to pay another 10 bucks just to try it out online. So now your at almost 20 (with your rental) and the game only costs 60 to begin with. You've paid a third of the retail price, and if you want it you will pay another 60....ugh.

Tool_Minion;822702']I think it's retarded.

Now if they were offering the best dedicated servers' date=' or were offering every DLC free, then I wouldn't mind. I do mind however renting a title to see if it's worth a shit, only to find out you have to pay another 10 bucks just to try it out online. So now your at almost 20 (with your rental) and the game only costs 60 to begin with. You've paid a third of the retail price, and if you want it you will pay another 60....ugh.[/quote']

you get to try its online for free, thats what i like, its limited but atleast you get to try, and then if you like the game you can buy it used and youll still have your pass

This game will have dedicated servers check out what a dev on homefront said.

http://www.destructoid.com/kaos-dedicated-servers-essential-for-online-games-190853.phtml

Homefront developer Kaos Studios has stated a belief that I think many PC gamers won't argue -- that large-scale online games need dedicated servers, and that they're unplayable without them. Take note, Infinity Ward! Homefront will feature dedicated servers across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, with PC players also able to set up local servers.

"For 32 players, you have to have dedicated servers, or else it would be unplayable," says community manager Jeremy Greiner. "When you play Xbox Live where it's 12 to maybe 16 players max, where it's just one of the players hosting it, it can still get pretty darn laggy. So it's a necessity in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we want. We're committed to setting up server farms all around the world so that everyone has good ping, low latency and gets rid of that awful host advantage.

"So, dedicated servers are hugely important and in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we're looking for with vehicle, air strikes, drones, infantry, air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, all on really large maps, it's the only way to do it."

It's worrying that in this day and age, there are still online games that lack basic features like dedicated servers or even host migration. If you're not going to put in the basics, just don't bother making a game at all.

Crusty_Demons;822719']Homefront developer Kaos Studios has stated a belief that I think many PC gamers won't argue -- that large-scale online games need dedicated servers' date=' and that they're unplayable without them. Take note, Infinity Ward! [i']Homefront[/i] will feature dedicated servers across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, with PC players also able to set up local servers.

"For 32 players, you have to have dedicated servers, or else it would be unplayable," says community manager Jeremy Greiner. "When you play Xbox Live where it's 12 to maybe 16 players max, where it's just one of the players hosting it, it can still get pretty darn laggy. So it's a necessity in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we want. We're committed to setting up server farms all around the world so that everyone has good ping, low latency and gets rid of that awful host advantage.

"So, dedicated servers are hugely important and in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we're looking for with vehicle, air strikes, drones, infantry, air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, all on really large maps, it's the only way to do it."

It's worrying that in this day and age, there are still online games that lack basic features like dedicated servers or even host migration. If you're not going to put in the basics, just don't bother making a game at all.

:love:

Now I'm serious about this question. I never heard of dedicated servers on platforms. I thought that was exclusive to PC.

But when they talk about dedicated servers on XBOX and PS3, is that basically what games like, for example, Confrontation, KZ2, and Warhawk have?

When you go online and then chose from a list? As opposed to games like BO and MW2 and you just pick a game type and it does it for you.

IRISH BULL;822726']Now I'm serious about this question. I never heard of dedicated servers on platforms. I thought that was exclusive to PC.

But when they talk about dedicated servers on XBOX and PS3' date=' is that basically what games like, for example, Confrontation, KZ2, and Warhawk have?

When you go online and then chose from a list? As opposed to games like BO and MW2 and you just pick a game type and it does it for you.[/quote']

Not really a simple answer so it will involve some reading.. The COD series is P2P or Peer to Peer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

Peer-to-peer (P2P) computing or networking is a distributed application architecture that partitions tasks or work loads between peers. Peers are equally privileged, equipotent participants in the application. They are said to form a peer-to-peer network of nodes.

Peers make a portion of their resources, such as processing power, disk storage or network bandwidth, directly available to other network participants, without the need for central coordination by servers or stable hosts.[1] Peers are both suppliers and consumers of resources, in contrast to the traditional client–server model where only servers supply, and clients consume.

The peer-to-peer application structure was popularized by file sharing systems like Napster. The peer-to-peer computing paradigm has inspired new structures and philosophies in other areas of human interaction. In such social contexts, peer-to-peer as a meme refers to the egalitarian social networking that is currently emerging throughout society, enabled by Internet technologies in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_hosting_service

A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone. This is more flexible than shared hosting, as organizations have full control over the server(s), including choice of operating system, hardware, etc. Server administration can usually be provided by the hosting company as an add-on service. In some cases a dedicated server can offer less overhead and a larger return on investment. Dedicated servers are most often housed in data centers, similar to colocation facilities, providing redundant power sources and HVAC systems. In contrast to colocation, the server hardware is owned by the provider and in some cases they will provide support for your operating system or applications.

The $10 pass is Game Developer's answer to the profits lost to renting facilities. For gamers that purchase games, it is no problem. But if you want to rent or Gamefly games it will cost you to either: (1) test them out; (2) play them only briefly. I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is. I am looking forward to Homefront nonetheless!

Crusty_Demons;822731']Not really a simple answer so it will involve some reading.. The COD series is P2P or Peer to Peer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

Peer-to-peer (P2P) computing or networking is a distributed application architecture that partitions tasks or work loads between peers. Peers are equally privileged' date=' equipotent participants in the application. They are said to form a peer-to-peer network of nodes.

Peers make a portion of their resources, such as processing power, disk storage or network bandwidth, directly available to other network participants, without the need for central coordination by servers or stable hosts.[1] Peers are both suppliers and consumers of resources, in contrast to the traditional client–server model where only servers supply, and clients consume.

The peer-to-peer application structure was popularized by file sharing systems like Napster. The peer-to-peer computing paradigm has inspired new structures and philosophies in other areas of human interaction. In such social contexts, peer-to-peer as a meme refers to the egalitarian social networking that is currently emerging throughout society, enabled by Internet technologies in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_hosting_service

A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone. This is more flexible than shared hosting, as organizations have full control over the server(s), including choice of operating system, hardware, etc. Server administration can usually be provided by the hosting company as an add-on service. In some cases a dedicated server can offer less overhead and a larger return on investment. Dedicated servers are most often housed in data centers, similar to colocation facilities, providing redundant power sources and HVAC systems. In contrast to colocation, the server hardware is owned by the provider and in some cases they will provide support for your operating system or applications.

OK. So is Confrontation a dedicated server game? Or is that P2P also?

o-BacklasH-o;822742']The $10 pass is Game Developer's answer to the profits lost to renting facilities. For gamers that purchase games' date=' it is no problem. But if you want to rent or Gamefly games it will cost you to either: (1) test them out; (2) play them only briefly. I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is. I am looking forward to Homefront nonetheless![/quote']

Or if you buy used games.

• Directors

I will say that the real root on this is the publishers are trying to recover lost revenue on the purchase of used media. If you are a user that normally purchases a used game vs a new game where the publisher actually make their money.

Publishers really do not get anything out of a used game sale.

Yes Irish most if not all PS3 exclusives have dedicated servers but there are a couple differences from PC. On the PC you are allowed to host your own games on your own servers and on consoles your not. The dedicated servers managed by Sony are not quite as free as what you get on PC. Another thing is it comes down to the code in the game as to how well it will run and I think we can all agree the code in Confrontation was god awful. This explains why MAG can run 256 players and Confrontation can't get through a 32 player game without a mass boot.

@Shane your probably right to an extent but I think dedicated servers and digital distribution are the future anyway.

Edited by Crusty_Demons