Socom 4 Beta Review

I played the beta for the first time. I played 2 game types and 2 maps for about 90 minutes.

If this is what we can expect for Socom 4 then, speaking as someone who's been playing Socom since Socom 2, the Socom title is dead. If that's their attempt to resurrect the title it is an epic fail.

I played the beta for the first time. I played 2 game types and 2 maps for about 90 minutes.

If this is what we can expect for Socom 4 then, speaking as someone who's been playing Socom since Socom 2, the Socom title is dead. If that's their attempt to resurrect the title it is an epic fail.

Did you play classic or respawn big D?

Did you play classic or respawn big D?

I played respawn. Is Classic better? If so I'll give that a try tomorrow. Friggin spawn campers, grenades either going way to far or dropping at my feet, and a lousy camera view. And XP points???? Really?

ive sorta enjoyed the beta so far...still trying to adjust to the turning in the game that slight delay is really making it hard to aim...and the screen needs to be pushed back i feel my view is really bad compared to older socoms

I had the same complaint until someone told me about adjusting the settings. Once I did that it got a little better.

OMg daniel I can't describe the difference between respawn and classic. I absolutely hated respawn, but really like classic. Classic is like a whole different game. The cover system fucks up respawn imo. People get into their positions, sit behind cover and wait for people to run out of their side of the map. That's a lot harder to do in classic because you have to watch behind you more.

Classic > Respawn.

I got to admit when I first played it I wasn't too thrilled about it. Once I figured out the controllers and continued playing it on a daily basis it became more and more easy. So now I'm loving it, if you think about it its more technical then any other game. You really have to pay attention to everything you do as its so easy to overlook something such as Mines, claymores and other players. Its definitely a strategic game than not 1 player can win on his own, they got that concept spot on. Its more fun when your playing with people you know and as time goes on and you start doing clan matches you will start to get that competitive feeling again. Once they do the fixes it will be a great game.

I remember not liking Socom 2 very much when I first started playing. Then I started getting some what good at it and found people to play with and it was a lot better.

Socom 4 though sure beats the hell out of anything we've been playing so far on the PS3. I love the suspense of it. Taking over areas of the map. Not pushing too far as to get yourself in trouble and then your watching for 5 minutes. There's things that could make it better but I'll take this for sure. And yes the respawn sucks stay away from that.

It took me a week or two to really get used to it. The aiming is tough to adjust to and I think there might be a bit of a bug in there. Crank your look speed up pretty high to get that old socom feel back in that department. Also as stated above play with people you know will work together as much as possible. Doesn't hurt to pray they put demo and control in either. :)

Sent with a flux capacitor at 88 miles per hour via Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not a fan of the mic system either. I guess I could get use to it if need be but it's one of those, "if it's not broke don't fix it," things.

Yeah pretty sure they are going to work on the mic issues in classic...HellI have a good mic now, and it still isnt working right in classic mode...

Crusty is right though, it takes a week or two to get used to it... I am just now starting to build back up my K:D ratio after getting used to it.

I got to play for the first time last night. I only played a bit in Respawn, and a full map of classic. Other than the technical glitches they said will be fixed, I loved it. I love the new feel. I love how it feels even more tactical than older socoms. I love that you once again can actually be camoflauged in the backgrounds. Like I said, I only played a bit, but so far, I really don't understand why people are upset. I'm sure the more pt I get, I'll notice more issues.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the mic system either. I guess I could get use to it if need be but it's one of those, "if it's not broke don't fix it," things.

No one is.. That and the camera issue have been the two biggest complaints from day one on the beta boards. Problem is with it being so close to the release date they are just working on the initial patch for the game and probably won't patch the beta.

yea the mic sucks. I would love to know who's idea it was to have a push to talk mic system that defaults to a 10 second hold. Like I posted on the socom beta forums, a team could easily have 3 seperate comms in 10 seconds time. It's a huge disadvantage to teamwork.

Though its a 10 sec open window I'm pretty sure people could jump in at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong

Yes they do overlap but sometimes your talking and your name isn't showing etc. It's just really sloppy at this point. Maybe once they tune it up it will be better. When I posted my opinions on the beta boards I asked for the old school PTT system and if they couldn't do that to just make it open. Problem with this system is it really hampers communication short call outs aren't possible because you have the mic for at least 10 seconds then you can't touch it again for 20.. So if you call out "guy going right" and then 7 seconds later he changes his mind and moves and you would like to call that out you have to wait another 10 seconds. This could be old news by that time. The whole system is quirky and personally I thought the old way was better.