S4 gets a 7.9

Here is something I posted on the SOCOM.com forums earlier in response to the many reviews and the general negative attitude towards SOCOM 4. It has gotten really ugly over at the SOCOM.com forums.

I will probably get attacked for this but I am gonna say it......

SOCOM 4 was doomed for sometime now. Not because the game was shaping up to be a terrible video game but because of the community and the general mentality of gamers today.

The SOCOM community is by far one of the most complacent communities(especially here at SOCOM.com) in the Playstation family. And although the community is filled with intelligent and mature gamers, the numbers of the other side of the spectrum are far greater. They are obsession with past games of the series and refuse to let go. "If it isn't like SOCOM 2, the game is crap." And this attitude has spread over the net like a wild fire. And now I have to wonder if this is not one of the reasons we are seeing some low scores in some of the early reviews of the game. It's a common curse today....pick an opinion instead of expressing your own. "I wanna fit in with the other SOCOM "VETs" so I will say the game stinks too". And maybe these reviewers want to gain favour too....give a sense of being intune with the gaming masses by regurgitating the same views of the gamers in their reviews.

I am a fan of the series and will agree with many and say that many of the older features should have been kept. But the lack of past features or the addition of new ones doesn't make me think less of the game. I knew over a year ago that things in the world of SOCOM were going to be different. So I was ready for change....I was expecting it. And a lot of people knew these changes were coming.

Today, too many gamers think they are developers and know the industry. And these days we see more insults, threats, and non-productive chatter during betas than we see constructive criticism. "I don't like this game so it's CRAP!!!!" So many gamers today will not admit a game is a good game but just not for them...they much rather shoot the game down, and not see the good in the game. All they see is the bad. And this is the problem SOCOM 4 is faced with today. A large majority of the SOCOM community are so focused on their disliked of the game that they can't see the good the game has to offer. Putting aside the name and franchise's history....they refuse to admit that the game is actually a really good 3rd person shooter and worth buying.

I for one think Zipper has done a good job and hope they have listened to all the advice and suggestions from the community during the beta. With some changes SOCOM 4 can be even better than it is already. I really appreciate the invite to the beta and I am STILL looking forward to playing the full version of the game.

I used to be one of those people that wanted S2 back and hated S3 and confrontation, but this game has changed my mind. Classic mode actually feels like a socom to me and I like it. I'm looking forward to the single player and the new maps. I think if confrontation had a single player it would have been more liked, at least I would have liked it too. The only thing I want to see from the older game are the maps. Socom 2 had really good maps. I think one of the reason socom 2 was liked so much was that there were so many maps and play modes. CoD only has about 9 maps on release and adds 3-4 per map pack. Averaging 2 map packs, thats about 18 maps at most by the time the next CoD is out. Socom 2 had 22 maps. That's rediculous. I digress, but I tend to do that when I get going about Socom 2. Bottom line, I'm excited for this game, and I think more people are excited than let on.

Yea we lost almost all of the classic modes. I really would have liked to have seen breach and convoy back. Oh well.

And now that I think about it there is no going back. All the new generation of Socom players that will like this game would probably hate the Socom that we once knew.

I am at a loss for words.

Edited by BLACKCLOUD--

I'd be more excited if the game modes were better.

That seems to be a major complaint on most of these reviews that were recently released.

But IMO, this game will need a re-review in about six months. After a couple of patches and a map/game mode pack is released. MAG was kinda a crappy game when first released, and now it's an amazing game. It just took some time to iron out all the kinks and release a couple map packs coupled with different game modes.

I have faith in Zipper. And we know they will not abandoned this game.

Guest Attitude

My guess is that the first DLC will have "Demo" in it. Zipper knows thats what we want and they will turn a buck on those wants of ours, it called smart business. They will release "Demo" mode in a DLC knowing that we will all open our wallets and pay for something we all want so bad.

My guess is that the first DLC will have "Demo" in it. Zipper knows thats what we want and they will turn a buck on those wants of ours, it called smart business. They will release "Demo" mode in a DLC knowing that we will all open our wallets and pay for something we all want so bad.

I've said all along, months ago, that demo would be in the first DLC. I thought we would be paying for it. If demo is in this "pro dlc" pack they are giving away with the preorders I will be so so so happy. I can wait for the other modes in future DLC, but not having demo day one just ain't right IMO.

I am sure a couple of the older game modes will make an appearance at some point in time. Breach would be fun on the two maps the Beta showcased. Maybe some of the older maps will come in a DLC pack also. I would love to see Crossroads rendered on the S4 engine.

I'm so over Crossroads... Lets get some of the good Socom 2 maps that have never been remade like Enowapi or Sujo or Sandstrom!!