My good friend in Iraq

One of my best friends Pete Conklin, who i grew up with is in his 21st year in the army. After that long he volunteered to go to Iraq to train the police units and soldiers in Kirkuk. I told him he was way too old for that crap. LOL ANyways he sent along a diary of his experiences and i thought i would share it with you guys. It's a long read, but first hand view of a soldier's thoughts.

My Iraq Experience the second half

By SSG Pete Conklin

07 May 2008

Well another couple Months have gone by so I guess ill fill you all in. Been on a lot of missions and good news is we captured 8 of the top ten terrorist in northern Iraq. So I guess that means a little less BS from the shitheads until a new dandelion is sprouted so to speak. Well I am going to take this one on a little bit of a different route so to speak. It is the 7th of May 2008 and I am over half way done with my “experience†here in Iraq. So I guess the question is this what will the second half have in store? This is a brief snapshot of the first 8 months. I have seen very good friends little brothers die, I have counseled many friends on their grief and spent more than a few nights with grown men crying about the death of their comrades, the lost of their loves, the death of a dog and even a soldier cried about too much chicken cause he thought he shit a egg. I have scene Post Traumatic Stress Disorder nicknamed PTSD and yes I believe I even have it myself to be honest I don’t think there is a soldier here that doesn’t have it. Every pair of ACU’s “Army Combat Uniforms have holes littered all over them although as I am sure my grandma Carpenter is smiling from heaven for she taught me how to sew a sock when I was like 5.

Home well it seems like a million miles away and more days that not I doubt I will ever see it again. It isn’t that I don’t want to cause I do, it is just that with the current mood here it is like a dream like the lotto you think about it a lot but it will never become a reality. I miss my wife and daughter very much and it is devastating to think about them and devastating not to. Welcome to Pandora’s Box.

Overall do I think I am making a difference I don’t really know? I have employed over 2000 Iraqi males with jobs. Programs that I help with have reduced the IED count by 80 percent. The Iraqis in the city now throw RPK’s these are hand grenades that can blow up a armored car. Yeah not the little ones damn okay yes in the hand grenade world there are little ones and really nasty buggers you got to study them to appretaite what they can do.

Everyday is like the last day and that is not a good thing it is a very dangerous mood to be in for it is the start of complacency and that ten dollar word means a lot more soldiers will be hurt or worse killed. We have received the new MRAP’s these vehicles are supposed to keep us safe. Unfortunately the 1.1 million is spent on deflecting blast from the bottom not so good against RPG’s. For 1.1 million dollars I have already submitted 20 pages on things that need immediate changes to them to make them safe for us troops. The door itself weights 700 pounds so when it swings free it cuts off fingers, toes, ankles and breaks ribs and cracks skulls. Hard to believe they didn’t see that one coming.

The guys talk about the election over here a lot of the troops are pulling for Obama and I think I am the only MCain fan. Yeah everyone here wants Hillary for she at least has some sort of Sniper training as she described herself in Bosnia. And if she is President she stated that if Iran attacks Israel that she would obliterate Iran…..News flash Israel will melt Iran into a smooth glass factory don’t think they need our help. Well anyway I am here in the sand standing a thousand miles from home living with the scorpions snakes and the things that go bump in the night so that you all might be safer if only in thought and yes id do it again if called upon to do so. Things needed over here. A needle and thread to continue to sew up my clothes, Copenhagen and x box 360 games. But I don’t want any of you all to worry about all of that for over here I see that a mini recession is at hand and oil prices are really crazy along with gas. I wish I had my scrollsaw though that way I could find something constructive to do to take my mind off of all this crap. I don’t know what else to say but this if you see a Soldier, A sailor, A Airman or even a Marine thank them for they are really some amazing people. On that isn’t it strange how a bunch of misfits for that is what most people that join are. Not all but most. The people that didn’t excel in school, Sports, College and life. That come from every stinking walk of life most from poor to lower middle class homes are the guardians to the USA. What they lack upstairs I guess they more than make up in spirit, for the spirit of a soldier is unbreakable.

18 May 2008

Well the last couple of weeks have not been fun at all. I very close friend of mine lost his leg in a attack he is alive but now needs to get a prosthetic. This guy is a great leader and it is a very sad day when things like this happen. Another friend of mine was shot in the head he survived and yet today another one was shot on the FOB by a sniper hit him in the leg. Seems the heat makes them crazy. Two days ago I watched a rocket attack on us the rocket passed about ten feet from my building so I am thankful it didn’t hit me or else I guess I wouldn’t be writing this to you all. Seems like every other day somebody is getting hurt in some way shape or form and fashion. By the time this is over with we are going to look like a battalion of gimps on crutches and ace bandages. I have received my replacements for my men that are no longer here so it is retraining time with them unfortunately training is real missions so it is literally learn with both feet in the fire time. They are smart so it shouldn’t be to hard I tell them to do the opposite of me and then they will be safe. Yeah I have to do some weird off the wall shit sometimes in order to make my missions work out in the end. I won’t go into details for it would make you guys gasp and Shanan and my mom would beat me with a bat. Anyway tell my family I love them and miss them for me if you get a chance and go Cavs.

23 May 2008

Well another week done and im still breathing so all things are possible right? Anyway not a lot going on this week but reflection and yeah I got a hernia in which I got to get an operation here in the desert to get it fixed I hope al those M.A.S.H episodes don’t come into play but it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Anyway I thought I would fill you in on the Iraq situation since the news tends to not let this part be known.

In Iraq 85% of the males that can work are unemployed and have no means of providing for there families. Many of these have peaceful wishes but are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Iraq Government makes billions on there Oil production but hardly any of it trickles down to the people that need it. IE there is no Iraqi infrastructure being rebuilt by the Iraq Government that is funded by you and me. Back to the 85% unemployed; the terrorist, insurgents, AQI, or as I call them blood thirsty murdering bastards are actually in small numbers but they have deep pockets so to speak as in they have a lot of money. They offer the unemployed males 200 bucks to dig a hole in the road so their EID emplacers can come by and drop a bomb in it. Draw back is if we catch them we kill them. We offer a Sons of Iraq program that pays them 150 dollars a month to watch the roads to keep people from digging holes. So they are stuck with the dilemma of I either take the 150 and be safe and find other means to make an income or I dig holes regret what I do but be able to feed my family if I don’t die first. Now the AQI aka alquida does pay bonuses for killing us troops and snipers get big bonuses like a grand a soldier. So I guess we have bounties on us now. To top things out another big rolling problem is the government itself. It is completely corrupted and seems like there is no fix in its near future. How does one work to fix a country when its leaders are the problem? This is just the tip of the iceberg for a lot lies beneath the surface. But for an old dog faced soldier like me these are the ongoing problems that Iraq faces. I understand why some of the people end up digging holes for I truly understand what it means to provide for your family no I have no symphony for them or their problem but I do understand it. When will Iraq be fixed or will we have completed our mission; in my eyes or opinion at least 50 years. In the end ill do what I can with my slice of the pie I only have one regret that it is such a small slice.

Okay the Cavs lost and the Tribe is not up to par yet so sports are hurting in the great Northern region. Needs of mine hmm wish list time? A cheap drill and drill bits, smell good candles, Coffee star bucks is nice but Kroger’s works just as damn well at 430 AM, Copenhagen as always. PS no more clothes aka civilian cloths I got way too many and will be sending a lot home. Ramen noodles too lol. Thanks. What I don’t need are baby wipes, tooth brushes and eye wash got enough to last a lifetime. Oh yeah a new scrunchy thing you use to wash with and some body soap like axe or endurance.

07 June 2008

Well today is yet another day in the life of me. I just finished receiving a Operation while in Iraq. I had a abdominal hernia where apparently I ripped open the abdominal wall right by the bellybutton. The operation was successful but now it is kind of sore like being stabbed in the gut. Anyway I am doing fine now but have to go to a shrink to be assessed for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I guess I kind of got people nervous when they tried to wake me up in recovery. From what I was told I swung at the doctor or nurse talking about my gunner in Bosnia. Either way I don’t remember doing any of that but I do know I have bad dreams a lot and that I can be combative if woken wrong or suddenly and that isn’t a good thing. In the end, I’m going to go ahead and see what they can do for the last thing I want to do when I get home is have a screwed up melon and hurt someone like Shanan or Sasha. They call PTSD a illness but I don’t see how it can be that for you can’t catch it and in the Army they kind of give it a really bad twist like it is your fault if you have it is looked at in a way like you are weak minded which really bothers me a bit because for you people that know me I am in no way shape or form weak in that area. I think it is a injury one gets but I think it is one that we don’t yet know what there is to do about it.

Well I see it is now Obama –VS- McCain. This is going to be a very interesting race for the Presidency of the United States. Here is my take. I do not believe that Obama will select Hillary as a running mate. If he did I do believe he would win so I am thankful that he will not pick her. I don’t like her but she split the democratic vote which helps out McCain. Without Clinton he won’t be able to take on the swing states like OHIO and that in the end is what will hurt him the most. Who will be his running mate well it will be a white older democrat that has a military record maybe a retired general Wesley Clark who was the NATO Commander. As for McCain I think he will select possibly a black or Hispanic younger charismatic republican who I have no idea also possibly a woman to offset the minority vote. I don’t like him challenging Obama to debates for I fear Obama would kick his ass since McCain has a very bad temper and on TV looks very old. Obama was a lawyer and is a very good statesman. What will hurt Obama is he will look like an over educated man answering questions with intellect coming off as having no common sense.

The thing that scares me the most is that the presidency is going to fall on the shoulders of people like one of my new guys. I have a soldier that shocked the hell out of me and wonders how in the hell he was able to join the Army in the First place. He overheard a conversation between Myself and SPC Mackowski who is one of my new guys very bright young man who I am sending to OCS I think he would be a good Officer. Anyway we were talking about Boston and my other new guy Nemeth stated that he new where Boston was. Being curious I said that is a good thing so why don’t you tell me since you seem eager to inform me of your geographical prow ness. Well without missing a beat he told us it was located in Chicago. Well I had to inform him that Chicago has a city itself and not a state, and since Chicago was not a state, SPC Nemeth can you tell me how many states make up the United States of America? Where he answered 65 then decided 56 was a better answer. Well I had to inform him that no there are 50 states and 4 US territories. Then I asked him what continant the USA was located on and he gave no answer at all. That my friends, is scary as shit when someone cannot answer those type of questions. Yes I know I cannot spell to save my life but basic geography I would think is a must for all Americans; and he who is a registered voter that is not republican or democrat who is going to decide who sits in the Oval office. Man that thought gives me goose bumps.

Well with the hernia operation so far I have had to get staples in my head, my finger sewed back on, I have torn my MCL which will need a operation to fix it, I have destroyed my right ankle which I need a operation to fix that and a hernia which is fixed. And I have 6 more months to go so I wonder what in the hell is next for me. Man I feel like I have the worse luck in the world. Well at least I am still breathing so I guess that is a start. Okay shopping list time. Smell good candles thanks John and sue for the last batch they are great it helps get rid of the Iraqi odors that are really nasty, a new scrunchy, some Baltic Ash blanks from Michaels for scroll sawing. And new running shoes size 9, along with some small cans of poly stain in oak and maple would be great. Oh yeah and some Rubbermaid bowls and a new coffee cup I ran mine over on accident. And as always Copenhagen and coffee. Thanks you guys are the greatest.

June 9, 2008

Well today goes down as a very bad day here in my world here in Kirkuk, Iraq. Today we got hit out at our Patrol Base Bushmaster. Okay damn let me break it down for you all so that it is clearly understood. At Fob warrior which is also called K.R.A.B Kirkuk Regional Air Base we have about 8,000 people have of which are civilians doing various support jobs and the other half are military. Out of that Half that is military only about 1/3 go out side the wire to do actual missions the rest do jobs what ever they are here right on the FOB. A FOB is a Forward Operating Base. Meaning it is forward of the main effort or somewhat of an outpost.

A Patrol Base is a outpost for the FOB we have a couple of them Doria and Bushmaster which are located in areas that are hot spots so to speak so we can rapidly get to undisclosed locations without wasting time effort and fuel. They have about 100 people on them and no civilians. Showers are very remote so to speak and life is done out of a tent.

Patrol Base Bushmaster was attacked by a VEBID today resulting in one very good friend of mine dying and about 20 others getting injured needing various surgeries to keep them alive or to fix them up. A VEBID is a car usually packed with 4 155 MM artillery rounds all High Explosive and is used as a Suicide Platform. In Short a towel head drove a car filled with explosives right into the base and blew himself and everyone else up. My Friend will be sorely missed for he was a great NCO which others should emulate his life he left behind a wife and 4 kids. That isn’t right he wasn’t a friend he was a brother and I will never forget him. Although he and I disagreed on damn near everything we both had a common belief that your family comes first your soldiers second and you last. To lose so many is devastating to moral and well fuck it, it just god damn hurts like you have been stabbed and you cannot find the knife.

I have heard bullshit like they are just a casualty of war. Things like that just piss me off. It is like people are saying it is suppose to happen or what do you expect. Either way it is said by people that have no idea what it is like to be a soldier and what it is like to walk in my boots…our boots.

What is worse is being hurt myself and not being able to do a damn thing about it all. It is like being caged up with frustration that builds and builds and there is no release or way to release it like a bomb ticking just waiting to go off. The mission over here I truly believe everyone totally understands at some level or another and I think everyone agrees with what we are doing. Rebuild Iraq; re-establish law and order, Government and safety. What does not make sense is the fucking rules that we have to abide by it is these rules of engagement that I believe puts us at risk and makes it so that we have these type of casualties. Basically would you like to have one hand tied behind your back in a war zone? An analogy would be these imagine you’re a Professional boxer. You have a devastating right hook and left uppercut but the only punch you’re allowed to throw is a jab. But instead of just boxing one person you are boxing ten and they are allowed to use baseball bats.

It gets harder ever week it seems. Someone is getting hurt, dying or is completely crushed by people back in the States. It is difficult at best to pick up your chin everyday and continue on but it is what soldiers do. With the threat of getting killed over here or our hearts getting smashed back in the States it is a wonder how many of us have not become completely insane. I have soldiers that dry themselves to sleep either because of a fallen comrade or a unfaithful spouse. Makes me wonder why some people are so mean and cold hearted to do the later instead of just being honest. I guess in the end those people will get what they truly deserve. Currently there are 250 divorce cases pending and more everyday. I believe when you get married it is for better or worse and it is for life but with today’s Society I guess that doesn’t mean much anymore which is sad. A military spouse has to be the hardest job on the planet with us being gone it is just sad that too many that are married decide during deployments to quit doing this job. These are thought’s that were shared by me and my friend that has passed on.

So here I am stuck in Iraq, trying to survive, sometimes wondering why, but remaining steadfast in my own resolution to do what I have sworn to do for the last 20 years. Put on my boots carry my weapon and believe in my country, trying to protect the ones that I Love and the ones that hate me. Yes Mom there is people that do wish I was dead. Doing this Job everyday hoping that I make a difference within my piece of the pie. If I make a difference or not probably is not that important what is important I think is the attempt and effort to make a difference that in itself is what will be measured in the end. People want change in the world but most do nothing to promote change. I believe it is us soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines and those that support us that have made that conscious effort to take a step forward and yell out enough is enough and make their own line in the sand. You all are worth it. So thank you for your support.

So in the end this is why I want to get my scroll saw here. I want to do a portrait of each soldier that has died one for our battalion Memorial and one to send back to the parents, wives and children of the soldiers that have died. It does nothing to help the soldier’s families out I know this but it is a way to show respect in a strange sort of way. What I am asking you all to do is simply this. Go to Michael’s or any other craft store and ask for where the Baltic Birch planks are at. If you could each send me three blanks that are ¼ inch to ¾ inch long. Total cost should be about ten dollars. Shipping is about 8 bucks. So, if you can spare about twenty dollars to help out fallen soldiers I would greatly appreciate it. For you that need my Address please send it to the following. Other Items needed are Paint brushes, Polyurethane stains any color, and black and red felt, and acetone and spray glue. I understand times are tough back in the GOOD OLE USA soil you cannot do this I understand so if you could wear a red shirt on Fridays and put a candle on the window for our guys I would we would appreciate it thank you. If someone could take this to a craft store they might just give it to you as a donation. Just a thought

SSG Peter T. Conklin

HHC 2-22 In S-3

1BCT 10th Mountain Division

FOB Warrior

APO AE 09338

Hey thanks for posting that man it got me in the gut i'm tearing up man imma print this and send it to a few places. What really gets to me is the 1.1mil spent on something that doesn't protect them, that he's still keeping up with all the bull happening with this coming election and still has thought enough to say we are worth it and to keep his spirit up the way he seems to be doing its just...I don't know what to say about it man imma say thank you and imma try and send something to the guy I mean he's not asking for a whole lot maybe UF could send a package too with letters to the troops I don't know but anything would be appreciated by them I bet. Thank you SSG Peter T. Conklin I solute you and your effort to make this a better world. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

I just wanted to say that i did not post this to solicit donations. It was sent to friends and family. I hope he doesn't get pissed about it. LOL

I just wanted to share a good friends story. If anyone wants to, it is of your own free will and generosity.

If anyone does and he wonders who you are, tell him you know me.

Jim Matthews

AKA( Playerdown)

Playerdown ]

I just wanted to say that i did not post this to solicit donations. It was sent to friends and family. I hope he doesn't get pissed about it. LOL

I just wanted to share a good friends story. If anyone wants to' date=' it is of your own free will and generosity.

Jim Matthews

AKA( Playerdown)

[/quote']

I know you aren't soliciting for him and never considered for one minute that your intentions were anything more than to share his story.

It's just when I read about this kind of stuff, I am reading from the comfort of my safe, secure, air-conditioned home and I am reminded how blessed I (we) am to have what I have while others are serving our country in some God forsaken hell hole. Sending something over to him that makes his job even one iota more bearable is the least that I can do.

Playerdown ]

I just wanted to share a good friends story. If anyone wants to' date=' it is of your own free will and generosity.

Jim Matthews

AKA( Playerdown)

[/quote']

Yea man I'll send it with a message when I can.

playa we know you're not soliciting, but you outta know the atmosphere and attitudes of forum-goers about the war/troops, and know that we care for them, and appreciate what they do for our country. and as hippichik said, it's the least we can do.

last on somebody told me that it's a soldiers job to get shot at, and they signed up for it so its their fault they get killed, i wish that person read these journal entries.

Great post Player. Thanks for sharing that. If that doesn't inspire anyone, I don't know what could.

J-Rite187 ]

last on somebody told me that it's a soldiers job to get shot at, and they signed up for it so its their fault they get killed, i wish that person read these journal entries.

To a certain extent they are right. It is thier job to get shot at. They knew that risk signing up and decided it was worth it to defend their country. IN NO WAY is it their fault or did they deserve to end up a casualty. I really don't understand how people don't realize that they can be 100% against the war and the current cabinet, but still support our troops, who by the way are taking bullets so they can live whatever degenrate lifestyle they choose to. I feel we have no business being over there doing what we are doing, but the fact is we're there, and I will support our armed forces 110%. They didn't choose this war, they are following orders. The fact that had they courage to enlist, and get shot at to preserve my right to call anyone an assclown, is immeasurable.

FYI. My son is shipping off to the basic in July or October, depending on if they have room July. I told him the exact same thing I am posting here. I may not agree with that uneducated p.o.s. calling the shots, but I do applaud anyone that have the courage to serve.