I had a trojan like this years ago that I got from a friends email. It did the same to me. I used the symantec live scan and it gave me step by step instructions on how to fix it. Unfortunately I don't think they offer this scan any longer. I could be wrong about that but I do know that they will fix it for you by remotely accessing your computer for a 99$ fee. Here are some links.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/premium_services/pc_checkup.jsp

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/premium_services/premium_virus.jsp

It doesn't take a password to hijack the inter workings of things through maleware.

You can use this utlity to trace where the E-Mail came from. Paste the full headers in the utility. That is if you even care. Most times I don’t care to know where are who sent these just how to avoid them or get rid of them.

For this one if you do a search on google with the first line or other similar words of the message you’re going to see a whole lot of other people with the same problem. Its been traced to an issue not with Hotmail directly but with Microsoft’s Instant Messenger program with works with you msn hotmail account so that’s how they are getting a copy of your contact list.

It could be a Trojan so run your anti virus/ anti adware programs check your IM passwords or else what could be happening is that someone that has your e-mail address in their address book has got the virus and their PC. is sending the messages and spoofing your address so tell you’re friend its not you its her! LOL

In the end all you can do is try to keep your system clean and virus free.. you can’t be responsible for others that don’t have adequate protection.. For them virus’s are going to get in one way or another just because your email was spoof’d or else phished doesn’t mean you’re responsible for their lack of protection.