PS3 Gigabit Port

Just curious if anyone has upgraded to a Gigabit Router and are you taking advantage of the PS3's Full Duplex Gigabit port?

Now that the PS3 has the Download and Upload speed on their Internet Connection test, I decided to take my old realible WRT54G 100 mbps router out and hook it up to my network and connection tests to see what kind of difference it had by running the Internet Connection test that shows on the PS3. Here were the results:

Internet Service is 20meg

PS3: Wireless - WRT54G Router - 8.2 mbps Down - 800 kbps Up

PS3: Wireless - WRT610N Router - 8.4 mbps Down - 923 kbps Up

PS3 set to 100 mbps Full Duplex Wired

PS3: Wired - WRT54G Router - 11.61 mbps Down - 1.01 kbps Up

PS3: Wired - WRT610N Router - 12.27 mbps Down - 1.14 kbps Up

PS3 set to 1000 mbps Full Duplex Wired

PS3: Wired - WRT54G Router - Not Available

PS3: Wired - WRT610N Router - 18.31 mbps Down - 1.84 kbps Up

Downloading any updates are extremely fast now and I have noticed improved online gameplay when the servers are running good.

I was just curious if anyone has bumped up and is using the full 1000 mbps and what if anything have you noticed. These are all just averages, since I ran each test multiple times to get an average.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Directors

Well I can advise there is a difference... but only because my modem is gigabit... so there is a better flow.

But just like in anything... it is all up to the weakest link so if your modem is not gigabit, then you are stuck at 100mbs

Ok so a gigabit modem.. Is that something I could/should get from my ISP or should I get that at best buy etc?

I currently have an 8gb plan with my DSL provider because that's the best they offer. I could go cable and get a little faster but they are shady with their prices and I don't like how they do business in general. Fiber optics is still not available in my area.

• Directors

yup ur ISP, I happen to have suddenlink and they didnt even know they had it, I had to teach them... but there are gigabit modems on the market now

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Online gaming has been about your upload speed. Download speed is helpful to a point. Once you get to a certain speed it equals out. But it's about how fast you can upload info.

Most ISP's prey on peoples ignorance of this...

Fast downloads are great, but its the upload thats vital for your "gaming" experience.