My first Android phone

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a big fan of the Droid I picked up back in December of '09.

I really like it and I have yet to experience a let down with it.

Admittedly, I came from a QWERTY phone and chose a Droid for the "safety" of the physical keyboard.

However, 6 months of using this phone on a daily (if not hourly) basis, and I have yet to type a single word on the physical keyboard.

Especially now more than ever since I downloaded the ShapeWriter App. Free. The whole drag-texting you saw on that other phone commercial during the Superbowl (I really can't remember what phone it was, maybe Samsung), you can now do that on the Droid or any other Android phone (I think).

Believe it or not, because of this app, I seriously believe my double-thumb accuracy for texting has suffered because I now text using only one finger as it drags itself all over the screen....and FAST.

I love the Android capabilities and I love how it's open source and not under the watchful eye of Apple.

I do not discount the iPhone's capabilities. It's a nice phone. Anyone who says otherwise really doesn't know what they're talking about. Both the Droid and iPhone are comparable, with equal differences that make them both great phones. My decision in choosing a Droid was purely based on the open OS as well as choosing Verizon over ATT...and seeing ATT's new announcement about doing away with unlimited data plans, it looks like I may have made the right judgment.

Android is pretty badass.

I just picked up the new HTC EVO droid and am very very impressed so far. Tons of aps come preloaded and you can download hundreds more for free and even more for a small fee. It's a bit cumbersome to get used to but once you get the basics down it's not bad at all. Screens a bit sensitive but you can adjust that.

Undertow ]

I have been a big fan of the Droid I picked up back in December of '09.

I really like it and I have yet to experience a let down with it.

Admittedly, I came from a QWERTY phone and chose a Droid for the "safety" of the physical keyboard.

However, 6 months of using this phone on a daily (if not hourly) basis, and I have yet to type a single word on the physical keyboard.

Especially now more than ever since I downloaded the ShapeWriter App. Free. The whole drag-texting you saw on that other phone commercial during the Superbowl (I really can't remember what phone it was, maybe Samsung), you can now do that on the Droid or any other Android phone (I think).

Believe it or not, because of this app, I seriously believe my double-thumb accuracy for texting has suffered because I now text using only one finger as it drags itself all over the screen....and FAST.

I love the Android capabilities and I love how it's open source and not under the watchful eye of Apple.

I do not discount the iPhone's capabilities. It's a nice phone. Anyone who says otherwise really doesn't know what they're talking about. Both the Droid and iPhone are comparable, with equal differences that make them both great phones. My decision in choosing a Droid was purely based on the open OS as well as choosing Verizon over ATT...and seeing ATT's new announcement about doing away with unlimited data plans, it looks like I may have made the right judgment.

Android is pretty badass.

You don't have to be limited if you have the balls, LOL.

http://gizmodo.com/5533921/how-to-jailbreak-any-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad

Tool_Minion ]

Shapewriter, eh? Ima have to look that up!

I use the physical keyboard on my Samsung, but it's mainly because the Instincts screen keyboard left something to be desired, so I felt 'burned' on the touch key....I'll have to give this app a try.

Shapewriter will change everything you know about the mechanics of texting.

Undertow ]
Tool_Minion ]

Shapewriter, eh? Ima have to look that up!

I use the physical keyboard on my Samsung, but it's mainly because the Instincts screen keyboard left something to be desired, so I felt 'burned' on the touch key....I'll have to give this app a try.

Shapewriter will change everything you know about the mechanics of texting.

I'm not sure how to get it to work on the HTC EVO. I have the ap installed but when I put my finger on a letter it just acts like normal texting. I don't see any lines or anything.

I have NO CLUE how to work it as of yet, but I did get it installed properly.

You DL it, then go to your apps, and select it. Scroll down and choose 'enable Shapewriter'. It will take you to your menu where the keyboards are at. Turn OFF your regular touch keyboard, enable your Shapewriter keyboard.

So far, the only draw back I noticed is it won't allow me to 'flip' my phone horizontally to have a wider path to type on, but that may be a setting I have to enable..?

Tool_Minion ]

You DL it, then go to your apps, and select it. Scroll down and choose 'enable Shapewriter'. It will take you to your menu where the keyboards are at. Turn OFF your regular touch keyboard, enable your Shapewriter keyboard.

So far, the only draw back I noticed is it won't allow me to 'flip' my phone horizontally to have a wider path to type on, but that may be a setting I have to enable..?

I did all that but have no clue how to turn off my regular touch keyboard. The shapewriter is enabled, but still no lines appear when I hit letters.

Rage75 ]
Tool_Minion ]

Mine gave me the option of having both on, but I disabled the other touch keyboard and it worked. Try scrolling through your input mode (T9, etc.) and see if the setting is in there.

I did all that but have no clue how to turn off my regular touch keyboard. The shapewriter is enabled, but still no lines appear when I hit letters.

I still cant get it to work, oh well.

Any other suggestions, tips, tricks for the EVO Tool? I'm so loving this thing so far. A bit disappointing they charge you an extra 10 bucks per month. I already had "unlimited" data ... kinda shady business tactics to make me pay more just because the phones faster and has more applications.

Umm....my favorite apps are:

Akido - E-book reader. I use this more than anything else on my phone.

Android Light Saber - fucking retarded, but my 4 year old loves it.

Barcode Scanner - THIS kicks ass. When you get it, scan my avatar. ;)

Bubble - Turns your phone into a level that actually works really well.

Calvin and Hobbes - Its a daily comic strip to your phone.

CardioTrainer - This one is cool...it has a built in work out tracker, and your phone turns into a step counter. Tracks your progress, and shows Google Maps where you walk/Ride. I love it!

Chuck Norris Facts - I mean...come ON! Who doesn't love these?!

Google Voice - If you have google voice, this makes it much easier to use.

Food Finder - pretty cool app to find restaurants where ever you may be. You will be surprised at the options you didn't know you had....

FourSquare - Not sure how cool this is yet, but it's almost like a facebook for android users. You can see real time maps of where your friends are...Its definitely interesting for the concerned parent.

Gmote - Turns your cell phone into a remote for your computer...its coo!

Imusic - free MP3 downloads...can't beat that.

Mablio Ringtones - best ringtone app I've found yet.

Magic 8-ball - makes deciding a meal with the wife interesting.

magic Marker - draw cool shit on your phone, and it looks like neon lights. You can save em to your pictures too.

Pandora - If you don't have Pandora, your missing out. GREAT music genome project.

PocketBLU - turns your cell phone into a bluray remote for your PS3.

Shazam - listens to a tune, and tells you artist, song title, and offers to sell you the MP3. Great for trivia night at the local watering hole.

Wapedia - wiki for your cell.

Hope this helps!

I'm a former iPhone user now using the Droid. The differences between the two are minimal but there are a few things here and there that could be fixed on the Android. Sometimes when I touch the screen to scroll through something, my phone will jump and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, then I have to scroll back up just to get back to where I wanted to go. Another is that with the touch screen keyboard, I seem to hit the period a lot when wanting to hit the space bar. It would be better to remove the smiley key from the bottom right and replace it with the period key and extend the space bar. Although, I'm sure this could easily be avoided with the shapewriter app Tow mentioned. I also think the way you play and access videos and music is better on the iPhone. The last issue I have is that my battery meter seems to be off a bit. Occasionally I'll have the red battery bar displaying alerting me I have to charge my phone even thought I know the phone is fully charged and it will eventually shut off. Once I turn it back on, the battery meter is reading full and will operate as it should. This may be just a defect with my phone though. I still however, have no regrets at all about switching to the Droid. For one, I have better reception and I love that I can easily customize my UI without having to jailbreak it. The market is growing fast and you can now have almost any app available on the iPhone on your Droid as well. Also, it seems like the iPhone has reached it's pinnacle as it hasn't really done much feature wise with it's latest releases. Seems like most updates have been to fix something or add features that should have already been included to begin with. The Android however, because of it's open source operating system has limitless possibilities. The Android I believe, allows the owner more control over their phone, which was the main thing I disliked about the iPhone.

And by the way, the unlimited data plan with AT&T was never really unlimited and if you were already under the unlimited plan, you could stick with it and not have to switch over their new data plans.

What I don't understand from any cell phone provider is the ridiculous amount they charge for text messaging when text messaging is just another form of transferring data. I have AT&T with an unlimited data plan, yet I still have to pay extra for unlimited text messaging... it just makes no sense to me. Maybe it's another way to get more money out of the consumer.

Rage75 ]

Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions tool. Whats up with all the check marks at the top of the phone? Seems to be something with aps you download but how do I get rid of them?

Drag the white bar down under them. It will open up recent messages, downloads, etc. It's a notification bar. You can launch the applications straight from there, or go find it in your menu. After you affirm those, they go away, or you can select the 'clear notifications' button to remove em from the top bar.

Tool_Minion ]
Rage75 ]

Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions tool. Whats up with all the check marks at the top of the phone? Seems to be something with aps you download but how do I get rid of them?

Drag the white bar down under them. It will open up recent messages, downloads, etc. It's a notification bar. You can launch the applications straight from there, or go find it in your menu. After you affirm those, they go away, or you can select the 'clear notifications' button to remove em from the top bar.

Thanks, crazy how much this thing does ;)

Tool_Minion ]

Shapewriter on my Droid works in both standard and landscape mode.

May be in the settings. Not sure.

But it does.

Give it a few days....takes a bit to get used to.

Give it about two weeks or so, you will swear you will never go back. You get FAST. Faster than any double-thumb typing.

Tool_Minion ]

Mablio Ringtones - best ringtone app I've found yet.

Used Mabilo for a while and liked it.

Switched to Zedge about two months ago. I like the UI much better on Zedge than Mabilo.

Plus, Mabilo has an app for ringtones and an app for wallpapers.

Zedge has both in one app....one less app is always better.

Try it out.

Speaking of wallpapers....I don't buy a lot of apps, but HAD to buy this live wallpaper...99-cents....it's called Pixel Zombies. Look it up....and love it. It looks so simple and yet this fucker can captivate you for a fucking HOUR if you're not careful. And when you get bored, drop a fucking nuke.

I also bought the PRO Zoom 5x camera as the stock camera replacement. SO much more you can do in-picture than with the stock.

And for more pic-goodness, buy PicSay Pro. There's a free version, but the pro rocks. And it blows the free Photoshop app out of the fucking water.

Ringdroid is awesome to MAKE your own ringtones. It's how I've had the low predator growl as my text message for so long now. I love it when my phone talks to me.

The Mint.com app fucking ROCKS...requires an actual mint.com app, but if you guys aren't using this site for all your accounts and budgeting stuff....USE IT.

I'm not kidding. Seriously. USE IT.

It's fucking free. And it's smarter than you are.

If you have Directv, then get the Directv app. Programming my shows to record when I'm on the road or see an ad while riding on the morning commute...can't beat it.

To put about 30 fucking apps all onto a smart, manageable "drawer" categorized however you want, look up a free app called "Speed Dial." There are a few similarly named apps like that, I'm sure, so look for the one with the "yellow grid" app icon. You will love this for managing space on your home screen.

Mobisle Notes is the BEST note taking app I've ever used...and I've used about a half dozen ones.

Key Ring is great for all those pesky membership barcode plastic things for groceries and best buy and circuit ci....uh....and all those other ones.

Skype Mobile. Nuff said.

Try these out.

I like them all.

Oh BTW:

I was having an issue with my cell putting itself in Airplane mode randomly. It was quite annoying, and it happened one too many times when Michelle was trying to get a hold of me ( a woman fresh out of surgery can't reach you, you might as well be cheating on her with her sister...) this past week, so I decided to stop by the Sprint store Sunday and get it looked at.

He took it back, updated it to the Google 2.1 (standard on the Droid, but it wasn't out yet for the Moment, Hero, etc.) and OMFG. Not only did it solve my 'airplane mode' issue, it also did this:

You know that annoying placement of the mute button? GONE. It is now a slide button, so just hitting your cheek wont mute you.

The internet is faster

The Store is more user-friendly. You can now sort by free apps, pay apps, etc.

I get better reception. I know this doesn't make sense, but I swear it's true. I get full bars in places I usually only got 1 to none before. IDK if it's something to do with the OS or not, but its OK with me!

The down side to all this is you will lose ALL your texts not saved to your card, all your call history, all your apps have to be re-dled, and if you didn't set up that gmail account, you will lose alot more. The Gmail regularly backs up your phone, so I suggest you do that to make sure you don't lose your pics/contacts/etc before following this link.

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/samsung_moment.shtml

You can take it to a store if you wanna wait around for 30 minutes to be seen, then wait another 45 for them to do it. I did, but my brother and buddy both have Moments, and I'm DLing it for them now straight from Sprint's site.

Tool_Minion ]

He took it back, updated it to the Google 2.1 (standard on the Droid, but it wasn't out yet for the Moment, Hero, etc.) and OMFG. Not only did it solve my 'airplane mode' issue, it also did this:

Welcome to the future.

As for the Skype, you should not have a problem finding it in the Market.

"Skype Mobile"

Google wouldn't block it as it is an official Android App...and Google isn't really blocking anything, as Google is not spelled A-P-P-L-E.