PC/Windows 7 Upgrade Question

So, I'm kind of a tech junky and am looking to upgrade to Windows 7 on the laptop I currently own (and have owned for about 3 years). I'm curious as to if my system is capable of running Windows 7 or if I just need to sit with XP until I purchase a new system.

I'm not completely PC-Stupid, I was of the understanding my system could handle it, but then I did some test (http://www.grc.com/securable.htm) and it mentioned I didn't have "hardware visualization" possible, and my processor was 32mb, not 64 (that much I knew). So now I'm not sure... and I'm sick of researching.

Below are my system specs, can someone lay it out for me if I'm able to upgrade with my current setup? If so, will I be missing some features due to a lack of 64bit processor? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Processor: 2 x Intel T2050 @ 1.60 GHz

Graphics: GeForce Go 7300 (256mb dedicated card)

Memory: 2046MB Ram

Hard Drive: 80 gig (I always have a 250gb external hooked up for media)

I can provide anything else that may be needed... but I think thats the key stuff.

1) Thanks for the uber quick response.

2) As much info as you feel like providing would be more then helpful, as I am looking to make a super-educated decision. If this was your PC, would you upgrade? Or would W7 suffer enough in performance that a well running OS XP makes more sense, and upgrading just to upgrade isn't a good idea?

Anyone else who has insight, feel free to jump in as well.

Prane, I don't know if 7 > Vista, but I have read multiple reviews from folks/blogs/etc who have been running the free beta... and it seems that the upgrade is a no-brainer if your system can handle it.

There is currently a deal I am looking to take advantage of (which is why I asked the question) for $30-35 bucks, anyone with a .edu email can upgrade to the regular or pro version of 7. I found that info here:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1562761

ok.. i have windows 7.. i upgraded from vista and once had a PC with xp and upgraded to vista... the question here is..

do you feel your PC is a bit slow? please answer.

the upgrade from vista to 7 is a must.. cause.. it is an upgrade.. it like socom patch 1.5.. it's the same shit but much smoother and thank god it finally came cause it fixed a lot of issues.

the upgrade from xp to 7 is like socom 2 to socom confrontation.. everything is prettier, next gen allows for a lot of cool shit but you may find shit that doesnt work now and did back then or simply dont like how it works now.

but lets say you love the new OS style and everything... how will it work in your pc.. the first problem you'll encounter will be the damn drivers.. upgrading from your computer.. since it's xp and three years old you may not find the drivers you need plus having a shit load of trouble with some hardware.. like webcams, sound devices, and every little fucking thing that your pc might not recognize CORRECTLY ( it does recognize but puts some shitty driver that doesn't fucking work.. like the sound from your pc could be really low).

second would be that probably all or your software wont work with 7 unless you can update and that option is usually only for freeware or microsoft software.. everything else like paid antivirus or some program designed for XP wont work, so you're fucked and have to buy updated software compatible with win 7.

and finally comes the performance part.. win 7 is a great upgrade from windows vista cause its like taking some weight off your PC.. win 7 takes less resources and lets your computer run more smoothly..but it still requires more resources than XP so your PC WILL feel slower.. cause XP OS is more lightweight. if your pc is really fast then the trade of a little performance vs all the features will really be a plus since you have performance to spare.

bottom line.. if you thing your PC can handle it, you're ready to go through a little Hell upgrading every single driver and software and dont mind or dont think that your PC speed will be affected then go for it.. you'll love it.

My recommendation is if you have the cash... make a full upgrade... get a new PC.. make it 64bit system,with win 7, atleast 4gb ram and 512mb or more Nvidia.. the rest like +300GB HD, good wireless card and nice speakers will be pretty much standard on every pc.<<<< and you'll love it.

Hellraiser ]

ok.. i have windows 7.. i upgraded from vista and once had a PC with xp and upgraded to vista... the question here is..

do you feel your PC is a bit slow? please answer.

the upgrade from vista to 7 is a must.. cause.. it is an upgrade.. it like socom patch 1.5.. it's the same shit but much smoother and thank god it finally came cause it fixed a lot of issues.

the upgrade from xp to 7 is like socom 2 to socom confrontation.. everything is prettier, next gen allows for a lot of cool shit but you may find shit that doesnt work now and did back then or simply dont like how it works now.

but lets say you love the new OS style and everything... how will it work in your pc.. the first problem you'll encounter will be the damn drivers.. upgrading from your computer.. since it's xp and three years old you may not find the drivers you need plus having a shit load of trouble with some hardware.. like webcams, sound devices, and every little fucking thing that your pc might not recognize CORRECTLY ( it does recognize but puts some shitty driver that doesn't fucking work.. like the sound from your pc could be really low).

second would be that probably all or your software wont work with 7 unless you can update and that option is usually only for freeware or microsoft software.. everything else like paid antivirus or some program designed for XP wont work, so you're fucked and have to buy updated software compatible with win 7.

and finally comes the performance part.. win 7 is a great upgrade from windows vista cause its like taking some weight off your PC.. win 7 takes less resources and lets your computer run more smoothly..but it still requires more resources than XP so your PC WILL feel slower.. cause XP OS is more lightweight. if your pc is really fast then the trade of a little performance vs all the features will really be a plus since you have performance to spare.

bottom line.. if you thing your PC can handle it, you're ready to go through a little Hell upgrading every single driver and software and dont mind or dont think that your PC speed will be affected then go for it.. you'll love it.

My recommendation is if you have the cash... make a full upgrade... get a new PC.. make it 64bit system,with win 7, atleast 4gb ram and 512mb or more Nvidia.. the rest like +300GB HD, good wireless card and nice speakers will be pretty much standard on every pc.<<<< and you'll love it.

Right now im running the windows 7 rc 64bit on my desktop. I tried windows xp on my desktop and for me it just made my pc so slow same with windows vista. My specs are 6gb of ram, 280gtx 1gb , i7 core 920 and a 1tb hd. I also installed windows 7 on my laptop and everyone in my house loved it. It's smooth, no more lag and what not.

Im Running Windows 7 RC1 still and its solid as hell... I have no complaints.

its certianly by far the best OS microsoft has ever offered IMO.

Im currently running it on a 5 year old pc

200GB HD

1GB RAM

A Freakin Celeron @ 2.6ghz

and an nvidia Geforce 630 (256mb)

Works great...

sure it'll run better on a newer pc, but considering the age of my pc, and how smoothly its running... i was impressed.

Take it from a programmer, it will run on your computer. The only thing that I see being an issue is your processor being a little slow. Other than that you have met the requirements to run Windows 7.

I have yet to run it on anything myself due to the fact that I do work on every computer I touch and my particular work is not yet supporting anything past Vista (in writing). But from what I hear and have seen it is basically a more efficient version of Vista with some additional "wow" factors. So, I would highly recommend going to it, especially for anyone who already has Vista installed.

After 3 back to back to back half assed OS's from Microsoft that often received bad reviews, having them drop an OS that has had pretty much nothing but good reviews right out of the gate is huge thing.