Black Ops Last free CoD????!!!

blackops1038-610.jpg

As evidenced by Black Ops' huge launch, the Call of Duty series is still alive and well. However, gamers won't stick around with a franchise forever unless it continues to evolve. Its engine and gameplay may be stellar, but the series runs the risk of becoming stale if they put out a similar product each and every year. We've gone from numerous WWII games to Modern Warfare, then back to WWII, back to Modern Warfare, and now the Cold War. What's next for the series? We take a look at the odds.

World War I

Odds: Unlikely

World War II is one of the most fascinating events in human history, which is why it's still seen over 60 years later in just about every form of media imaginable. World War I, on the other hand...not so much. An Austrian dude got assassinated, a submarine sank, and there was a bunch of mustard gas. Not exactly as interesting as the atomic bomb, Hitler, Pearl Harbor, and D-Day. Because of that, the odds of a Call of Duty set in this war are fairly slim.

Vietnam

Odds: Somewhat unlikely

We understand why so many games are set in World War II, but we don't really understand why more aren't set in 'Nam. It's an interesting war that lends itself to a markedly different style of warfare, yet it hasn't been utilized that much. Battlefield tried it earlier in the decade and is returning with the Bad Company 2 expansion, but COD has only just now addressed it in Black Ops. If it weren't for the fact that they did in fact have Vietnam missions in Black Ops, we'd say a fully Vietnam-based game was the logical next step. However, the odds are significantly diminished thanks to its recent appearance.

Sci-Fi

Odds: Somewhat likely

Call of Duty started as a series that predominately featured real historical battles recreated in video game form. As time has gone by, however, that's not always the case anymore. The Modern Warfare games are entirely fictional, Treyarch has included a loony zombie mode in two games, and Black Ops features many fictional events within a real-world framework. Seeing as how they've gradually moved more into the fictional realm, it wouldn't surprise us in the least for the series to move into the future with a sci-fi installment. It could be set a couple of hundred years in the future on Earth, or it could even be an entirely new universe with laser weapons and aliens. Either way, we'd be very interested in seeing what a sci-fi Call of Duty would look like.

Subscription fees

Odds: Likely

This is the most likely scenario for the next step in Call of Duty, and it would without a doubt be the most unpopular. However, it's entirely possible considering comments made by Bobby Kotick. The company is big on microtransactions and any other source of income, so we're fully expecting their most popular franchise to head in that direction. Black Ops proudly touts "Multiplayer: Free with every copy of Black Ops" on some screens, but don't be surprised if things change in the next couple of years.

Those are just a few possibilities for what's next in the series. Where would you like to see it hea

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/11/11/whats-next-for-cod.aspx

there are already reports out that the next version is in the future and in space...

Newly-formed Activision studio Sledgehammer is working on a futuristic Call of Duty instalment set in SPACE, according to a fresh report.

Gamasutra sources claim Sledgehammer, run by Visceral game exiles Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey, are working on a CoD instalment "set in the future" and featuring "space Marines".

Of course, these aren't the first whispers we've heard of the FPS series heading to the stars. Earlier this year Activision registered domains for "Call of Duty: Future Warfare, Advanced Warfare, Secret Warfare and Space Warfare".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274739

• Directors

I was relieved to see that the term "stellar gameplay" was someone else's opinion of this game Dub. Whew! Had me worried for a sec.

While, I'd like to give my full review of "the game that out sold Modern Warfare 2" in this thread. I'll save that for the blog (that's right, we have a blog).

I think Activision will continue to do with COD what they have been doing.

Let's be honest here. Once the framework of COD4:MW was finished, so was Infinity Ward's creative freedom (hence the messy divorce).

They (Activision) will continue to stack game after mediocre game on top of the current engine, until it's just so horrible & obsolete, that people stop playing it.

Or more specifically, stop buying it.

Seriously, if you hold COD:Black Ops beside COD:Modern Warfare 2, and actually compare the two games "apples to apples", Black Ops isn't even in the same discussion.

But, Activision's opinion (as evidenced by this nifty little press release) is, "hey, this game has to be that good, it outsold MW2!".

And I guess that's fair, to a degree.

But the fact remains, that nearly 1/3 (or more) of the people who stood in line for hours to buy this game (COD:BO), did so based solely on the quality of Modern Warfare 2.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Treyarch did a great job on COD:W@W. But, I'll talk more later (remember what I said about that blog thingie) about that.

Anywho...back to the original discussion....

I'd like to see COD become more "clan friendly" overall.

As much as SOCOM:Confrontation might suck, Sony/Zipper has always been the reigning kings of clan support.

But, with Activision's recent announcement of a future MMO type installment of COD (that might be what Gen.Sarcasm, and the story he cited, was referring to), this thing might just ugly.

Game on.

~V~

Edited by V1P3R_1

I don't know about the people buying black ops based on the quality of MW2 argument that game was trash... I think charging for P2P multiplayer is a very bad move. I like the way the guns are tuned in black ops and when it's working this game is 100x better than MW2. It's been a long time since I have stayed up till 5am on a weekday playing a game.

If people think MW2 was quality.. wow as gamers are standards are about as low as a 2 dollar whore.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

• Directors
Crusty_Demons;818802']I don't know about the people buying black ops based on the quality of MW2 argument that game was trash... I think charging for P2P multiplayer is a very bad move. I like the way the guns are tuned in black ops and when it's working this game is 100x better than MW2. It's been a long time since I have stayed up till 5am on a weekday playing a game.

If people think MW2 was quality.. wow as gamers are standards are about as low as a 2 dollar whore.

I'm not talking about my opinion of MW2 vs. your opinion of MW2. I'm talking about the whole package from an industry POV.

Personally, I hate the COD franchise to be perfectly honest. And after the way they treated UF when we approached them during our visit to E3, I can't wait for the whole thing to collapse on Activision.

But, no matter what I think personally, nobody can deny what a true "masterpiece" MW2 was/is artistically speaking. And nobody can deny the record numbers it put up either.

And, if you're trying to say that the quality of MW2 didn't effect the sales of BO...I'll have to respectfully disagree with you sir.

I'm just saying that Treyarch's execution of Black Ops was sub par...at best (compared point for point with Infinity Ward's COD4:MW & MW2, since they are using the basic technology created by IW for BO).

And, maybe that's the problem...maybe I just expected too much.

~V~

I'm not talking about my opinion of MW2 vs. your opinion of MW2. I'm talking about the whole package from an industry POV.

Personally, I hate the COD franchise to be perfectly honest. And after the way they treated UF when we approached them during our visit to E3, I can't wait for the whole thing to collapse on Activision.

But, no matter what I think personally, nobody can deny what a true "masterpiece" MW2 was/is artistically speaking. And nobody can deny the record numbers it put up either.

And, if you're trying to say that the quality of MW2 didn't effect the sales of BO...I'll have to respectfully disagree with you sir.

I'm just saying that Treyarch's execution of Black Ops was sub par...at best (compared point for point with Infinity Ward's COD4:MW & MW2, since they are using the basic technology created by IW for BO).

And, maybe that's the problem...maybe I just expected too much.

~V~

See that's the thing I don't think it was a masterpiece at all and there are people that agree with me even though we are the minority. :smile:

MW2 had a pretty decent single player but the online was terribly executed with the commando kills from 30 feet away, the way over powered AI which probably had a higher kill/death ratio than any of the players in the game, one man army etc. The fact that it took about 20 shots to bring someone down was also a huge problem for me.

To me this is where Treyarch has decided to set themselves apart some from IW they have stepped up the power of the weapons and toned down the kill streaks. This has made the game more of a shooter and less of a scurry about the ground trying to hide from the all mighty AI in the sky.

I haven't played through the entire single player but the voice acting from Ice Cube, Ed Harris and music from Credence, and the Rolling Stones has really made for a solid story. I honestly think that launch problems aside that this might just be the best COD yet. There is a very good chance I will just pass on the next MW all together and not miss it a bit.

Whether you guys think you are disagreeing or not. The fact is, is that BO and MW2 is the same game just different maps and weapons. I would call it an updated software version. That is it. When they showcased the multiple kill streaks programs and what not, I knew then it was just going to be the new MW2. Don't get me wrong, I liked MW2 but I wouldn't buy another game for the same thing, which is what I think BO is.

Edited by Red0ctobeR

Whether you guys think you are disagreeing or not. The fact is, is that BO and MW2 is the same game just different maps and weapons. I would call it an updated software version. That is it. When they showcased the multiple kill streaks programs and what not, I knew then it was just going to be the new MW2. Don't get me wrong, I liked MW2 but I wouldn't buy another game for the same thing, which is what I think BO is.

Yes there are multiple kill streaks but one kill streaks kills can't help earn you the next kill streak and that makes a huge difference in the way the game plays. If you want a 7 or 11 kill streak you have to get it yourself you can't go from harrier to chopper gunner to nuke with one streak helping you earn the next.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

But, no matter what I think personally, nobody can deny what a true "masterpiece" MW2 was/is artistically speaking.

A masterpiece? I guess we have different opinions on what a "masterpiece" is. Heavy Rain was a masterpiece. And no, it's not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to effort, gameplay, storyline, what-have-you, Heavy Rain and MW2 aren't even close.

And numbers don't make a game good. Independent films can be great. Revenge of the Fallen wasn't.

they also got rid of the stupid "extended reach 15 foot away knifing" in BO. I think BO is an improvement over MW2 multiplayer wise due to this and the killstreak fix. Plus the SP campaign is so much better too (and I haven't even finished it yet). For me, BO > MW2.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

• Directors
willywonka159;818884']A masterpiece? I guess we have different opinions on what a "masterpiece" is. Heavy Rain was a masterpiece. And no' date=' it's not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to effort, gameplay, storyline, what-have-you, Heavy Rain and MW2 aren't even close.

And numbers don't make a game good. Independent films can be great. Revenge of the Fallen wasn't.[/quote']

See? This is what I was saying earlier in this thread. You guys are acting like I'm saying MW2 was the greatest game ever. I'm not.

Everything I'm saying, is from an industry POV. You can all proclaim how this game or that game is better than MW2. And I'm fine with that on a personal level.

I hate the game on a technical level, but think it's truly breathtaking on a purely artistic level.

But the numbers don't lie ladies & gentlemen, even if they don't make a game good or bad.

I was just trying to point out that Black Ops did such huge numbers due in a very large part, to the quality & success of Modern Warfare 2. Nothing more.

Oh, and that I want clan support in COD:BO. That is all.

~V~

I would think if they already knew how many ppl are preordering they shoulds of spent some cash and perfected some of the things that we are seeing. U kno ur going to have people buy it so spend what you know you will have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusty I am impressed with the overall game in a way that MW2 fell short. The small things make it huge to me. The tactical advantages that are available to those that choose to use them are amazing.

Just pull up your player card for instance. You can find every kind of stat known to man and 3 we never thought of. I can now go in and find out exactly what guns I'm most effective with instead of relying on differing opponents in different days to make that observation for me. I can see where I aim the most (the crotch...Im so DIRRRRRDY!) and adjust my 'starting' postion of my aiming reticle.

I can now go in and see where the best place is to lay down a carpet bomb based on where the action is most focused on each map! I can make call outs that are based off map grids instead of relying on my team mates calling the same building the same thing as me.

You couple that with the fact I can now make my public room 'private' so that random butthole doesn't join and force everyone to block him, then remake the party, and I'm instantly happier. I love not having to unlock the damned Acog on my Uzi to get extended mags! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that noob tubes have been nerfed.

Now all this I love before I even get to the gameplay of the game. I wouldn'tl trade ALL THIS for slightly better graphics. Is this a masterpiece? Not yet. Its complicated. It has some great ideas that need to be expanded on. They didn't let the 'clans' down like MW2 did. They do however require more communication to win almost all game modes. That implies they are moving in the right direction with Black Ops. It saddens me they shit on ya V. I think that was jacked up and made me lose respect for the franchise.

I play COD because Socom was such a huge let down. When Socom 4 comes out, I will be right there getting it at midnight and hoping it is the resurrection the franchise desperately needs. In the meantime, Black Ops has all the potential to be a great game, and with it's gameplay and options, it's much better (to me at least) than MW2 ever was.

Here is what i love about black ops..............IT IS BALANCED!!!!!! yes it is, for once there is no one gun that rules the game, the perks are balanced, the maps (except for array, i hate array) are awesome. The level of customization, custom map making, theater mode, stats, wager matches, i can go on and on. Honestly i have not had so much fun playing a COD game since COD1 and 2.

-Stop complaining about clan support honestly, you have a clan tag, its all you need. If you want a clan tag only your clan has, make an emblem. Because there is so many people on COD that you will lose your tag so quickly, within a few days most clan tags will be taken. Why do you need an ingame roster? This is a lost argument anyways.

-The only problem with the game is THE LAG!!!!!, treyarch just fix it please; it is not a bad the lag COD4 and WAW had when they were released, but there have been 3 major COD games for consoles now, there should be no lag.

MW2 was an unbalanced game, the perks were unfair, the guns were unfair, that is why MW2 fails, the gameplay is great, it is just the details in the game play that ruin the game. Same with WAW, the game is great, but then the MP40 killed everything. COD4 always had the juggernaut stopping power issue.

I <3 williwonka159 lol search and destroy? =D

CDBS14;818944']Here is what i love about black ops..............IT IS BALANCED!!!!!! yes it is' date=' for once there is no one gun that rules the game, the perks are balanced, the maps (except for array, i hate array) are awesome. The level of customization, custom map making, theater mode, stats, wager matches, i can go on and on. Honestly i have not had so much fun playing a COD game since COD1 and 2.

-Stop complaining about clan support honestly, you have a clan tag, its all you need. If you want a clan tag only your clan has, make an emblem. Because there is so many people on COD that you will lose your tag so quickly, within a few days most clan tags will be taken. Why do you need an ingame roster? This is a lost argument anyways.

-The only problem with the game is THE LAG!!!!!, treyarch just fix it please; it is not a bad the lag COD4 and WAW had when they were released, but there have been 3 major COD games for consoles now, there should be no lag.

MW2 was an unbalanced game, the perks were unfair, the guns were unfair, that is why MW2 fails, the gameplay is great, it is just the details in the game play that ruin the game. Same with WAW, the game is great, but then the MP40 killed everything. COD4 always had the juggernaut stopping power issue.

I <3 williwonka159 lol search and destroy? =D[/quote']

CD, your 100% right. This is game is definitely balanced. In this game rank only gets you a prettier game card or gun, IMO. I had no problem holding my own as a rank 8 against the whole room being ranked 20 or higher. Where as opposed to MW2 where rank was everything because you needed that bad-ass gun like everyone else was running around with.

I had no problem with an M16 or Famas with red-dot or ACOG sites. I unlocked two other assault rifles, but never used them.

But I don't agree with your point about clan support. I think the roster thing is kinda important. The main thing missing from this game is the community/clan support. Being able to set up a private room for others to join. Like setting up a recruiting room. Or a weekly room called something like Mass. lol

I mentioned this on RVN's site. One of the best features on games like Confrontation and Killzone 2 are the ability to create rooms for the public to jump in and out of. It makes having and being part of a clan that much more important and meaningful.

I'm just hoping that the Jan.4th date is correct. I'm hoping for a dual MP announcement along with a confirmed date in December.

Edited by IRISH BULL

IRISH BULL;818970']CD' date=' your 100% right. This is game is definitely balanced. In this game rank only gets you a prettier game card or gun, IMO. I had no problem holding my own as a rank 8 against the whole room being ranked 20 or higher. Where as opposed to MW2 where rank was everything because you needed that bad-ass gun like everyone else was running around with.

I had no problem with an M16 or Famas with red-dot or ACOG sites. I unlocked two other assault rifles, but never used them.

But I don't agree with your point about clan support. I think the roster thing is kinda important. The main thing missing from this game is the community/clan support. Being able to set up a private room for others to join. Like setting up a recruiting room. Or a weekly room called something like Mass. lol

I mentioned this on RVN's site. One of the best features on games like Confrontation and Killzone 2 are the ability to create rooms for the public to jump in and out of. It makes having and being part of a clan that much more important and meaningful.

I'm just hoping that the Jan.4th date is correct. I'm hoping for a dual MP announcement along with a confirmed date in December.[/quote']

have you tried the custom map making and settings? the one where you can upload to the community? and it saves the settings? you can even customize loadouts there, banning certain weapons and killstreaks, its awesome. It even lets you use the variants for wager matches. This is awesome for a tournament setting, because the admins can now just make the map with the rules and everything, and have everyone just download it and play it the night you have to play it on.

you cannot have private ranked matches, imagine the amount of boosting.

Also you can join a friends session by pressing triangle, scrolling to their name and pressing SQUARE, this joins their party, match, or lobby, if it allows it joins the team in which your friend is in, and it will automatically join you into their party after the match.

Now you may say, but then they will join my session.....If you do not want people to join your session, set it to private by pressing select...no one can then join you.

have you guys tried using that feature? i love it lol

willywonka159;818985']Uhhh... you still need to level up to unlock the guns. But not all the higher level ones are always better.

Yea' date=' that's is one the best features of this game. It's nice to have more guns, but it isn't neccessary like it was in MW2.

CDBS14;818987']have you tried the custom map making and settings? the one where you can upload to the community? and it saves the settings? you can even customize loadouts there, banning certain weapons and killstreaks, its awesome. It even lets you use the variants for wager matches. This is awesome for a tournament setting, because the admins can now just make the map with the rules and everything, and have everyone just download it and play it the night you have to play it on.

you cannot have private ranked matches, imagine the amount of boosting.

Also you can join a friends session by pressing triangle, scrolling to their name and pressing SQUARE, this joins their party, match, or lobby, if it allows it joins the team in which your friend is in, and it will automatically join you into their party after the match.

Now you may say, but then they will join my session.....If you do not want people to join your session, set it to private by pressing select...no one can then join you.

have you guys tried using that feature? i love it lol

But that community feature is just a way to DL game settings. You have to be on someones friends list to join what they are playing. I like being able to play with strangers or have strangers play with me. Man, that sounds dirty. lol

I just think they should have expanded that community feature like they have on Confrontation and Killzone 2. This would also eliminate the random maps. Like you mentioned you hate Array. There are certain maps I love and certain maps I can't stand.

And I agree with you about private ranked rooms. I never understood that argument on the Confrontation forums.