Sony cuts price of 80 gig model by $100

At the E3 Media & Business Summit, Sony announced it was introducing a new PlayStation 3 model with a built-in 80 GBhard drive for $399, replacing Sony’s current 80GB PS3 which retails at $499. The new 80GB model essentially doubles the storage capacity of Sony’s currently offered 40GB PS3 model, which is also priced at $399. The new 80GB PS3 will start shipping in September, according to a statement on Sony’s Web site. The new 80GB PS3 will also include integrated Wi-Fi and a built-in Blu-ray player, but like the old 40 GB model it will not be backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 games. The 40GB version of the PS3 will eventually be phased out, Reuters reported.

Sony’s announcement comes after Microsoft cut the price of the 20GB Xbox 360 to $299 from $349. Microsoft also plans to introduce a new 60GB Xbox 360 model that retails for $349, to eventually replace the 20GB model, which will be gradually phased out. This price cut is not Sony’s only salvo against Microsoft. Sony announced earlier at E3 that it would be introducing a new video distribution service, as competition for Microsoft Xbox Live, according to Reuters. In addition to watching videos on their PS3s, users will also be able to transfer downloads to their PSPs for portable viewing. With these new announcements from both Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo’s next move is open to question.

The 40Gs, as stated in the article, retail for $399....the same price as the newly slashed 80Gs in September.

Looks like that Best Buy warranty I have is going to come in REAL handy for my 40G when, all of the sudden on the 1st of September......."I sowwy......but my shit don' seem ta be WORKIN'! I think I's need a new system!"

Undertow ]

The 40Gs, as stated in the article, retail for $399....the same price as the newly slashed 80Gs in September.

Looks like that Best Buy warranty I have is going to come in REAL handy for my 40G when, all of the sudden on the 1st of September......."I sowwy......but my shit don' seem ta be WORKIN'! I think I's need a new system!"

Classic!!! i love best buy and there warranties... i personally am addicted to the controller plan.. sure beats buying a new sixaxis every six months.. i think thats where the 6 in sixaxis really came from.. the fact they wear out in 6 months.. lol

I bought the 60 when it fisrt came out for 599 plus 99 warranty.Then the 80 came out with mgs4 for 499.so i went to best buy told em it was freezing up,they gave me a 80 gig plus msg4 plus 79 for warranty and 40 dollars credit to my account....Sweet. ;)

Chaka ]

I bought the 60 when it fisrt came out for 599 plus 99 warranty.Then the 80 came out with mgs4 for 499.so i went to best buy told em it was freezing up,they gave me a 80 gig plus msg4 plus 79 for warranty and 40 dollars credit to my account....Sweet. ;)

nice. thats what i like they give you money back.

inadub ]

Classic!!! i love best buy and there warranties... i personally am addicted to the controller plan.. sure beats buying a new sixaxis every six months.. i think thats where the 6 in sixaxis really came from.. the fact they wear out in 6 months.. lol

You can get a warranty for a SIXAXIS?! How much is it?

IrshZ28 ]
inadub ]

Why bother?

Can't you just keep returning one and saying it's FROM the PS3 box?

Undertow ]
IrshZ28 ]
inadub ]

Why bother?

good idea

Undertow ]
IrshZ28 ]
inadub ]

Why bother?

maybe they have the serial number.

at my local Best buy the warranty for 2 years on a Dual Shock 3 was 8.99 and i have no idea about the box warranties.. i do know that i was dumb for not getting a warranty when i bought my second controller.. but 3rd times the charm i guess.. and randomly.. the last 3 digits of the controller that came out of my ps3 box were 503... lol so shes a keeper! sticky analogs and all..

inadub ]

at my local Best buy the warranty for 2 years on a Dual Shock 3 was 8.99 and i have no idea about the box warranties.. i do know that i was dumb for not getting a warranty when i bought my second controller.. but 3rd times the charm i guess.. and randomly.. the last 3 digits of the controller that came out of my ps3 box were 503... lol so shes a keeper! sticky analogs and all..

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

inadub ]

sticky analog sweet lol

inadub ]

sticky analog sweet lol

i dont want to know why it is sticky.