I know this has been brought up before, but was it deemed a bad idea.!?

I know it might hinder posting a little which in turn makes the forums seem a little bit less active, but i think the UF forums stay pretty active anyway, so i dont think it would hurt.

Plus we could talk smack during baseball games.! :D ;D 8)

Guest KingJunk

I am with you Chill, but how in the hell do u talk smack during baseball.

OMG did you see that strike!!

Yeah Yall better walk him!

In Your Face Bitch!! Homerun!!!

I just stole second base can't stop him now!!

LoL sounds lame, but OK!

We were actually talking about this just last night after the UF meet.

Honestly, we don't like the chatbox idea only because UF has HAD issues with chatboxes of OTHER clans. Some UF clan had members going to another UF clan's chatbox and writing obscenities and such, and then they both come to us asking to punish the other and stuff. It's really needless stuff.

So basically, we just figure to keep the chatbox off the UF site. We'll always revisit the idea, only because Sniper and I are fans of the chatbox.....but they're very hard to regulate. Especially in an environment where respect and honor are hailed by most.

Guest SuddenRedScare

I think a Shout Box here at Urgent Fury would be a great feature. The ability to ban IP's, like WiZ said, would be a must have. A lot of bad Apples out there. (Pun intended) It would also give Chili and CDBS something other to do than post. Just kidding buds. I'm not exactly sober. :D

For those too lazy to sign up for an account at Top Billin, because I know I wouldn't if I wasn't a proud member, here is a picture f our Shout Box:

tbeh9.jpg

I think it works the same as the forums.. people still have to register to be able to use it..!? (doesn't SMF offer one that works that way, isn't that how the iLL one works.?)

IF it doesn't work that way i wouldn't even think about it.. if people cant be held accountable, hell no. :)

I have seen some that updates in the shoutbox when someone makes a new post also.. it actually would help forum activity.!!

Guest SuddenRedScare
Chili-Palmer ]

I think it works the same as the forums.. people still have to register to be able to use it..!? (doesn't SMF offer one that works that way, isn't that how the iLL one works.?)

IF it doesn't work that way i wouldn't even think about it.. if people cant be held accountable, hell no. :)

I have seen some that updates in the shoutbox when someone makes a new post also.. it actually would help forum activity.!!

Nope, the one over at iLL was the same one that was on the old website. It's a separate paid service. I've seen the board over at the GameLobby and that looks pretty clean with those forums. It blends right in. I don't think those are SMF forums though.

Nah man, but they are good for a few good reasons.

For quick chat, mindless/useless bullshit, at war time it can be used to say "Hey room up.!" (even though a thread probably will & should be created to have a paper trail if no one shows), etc..

[\H/] you guys have one that is built for SMF..?

I dont remember seeing it, but im gonna check it out right now. ;D

Guest SuddenRedScare

Like Chili said, a Urgent Fury Shout Box would be extremely useful when SOCOM drops. When you start a new room, all you would need to do is post "Room up in East 3" and it would be filled with Urgent Fury goers within minutes. With the amount of traffic this site receives during peak playing hours, the possibilities are endless.

Make it happen, Tow! ;D

Actually there is a SMF shoutbox mod that COMPLETELY runs with the forums. You don't have to log in. If you dont have access to the forums you can't see it. If your name is banned you can't use it. It shows your name as the color assigned in the membergroup here. We had it up for awhile but realized the shoutbox we were paying for was buried within the site and going to waste.

I think its a great quick way to set up wars / matches. Almost like a shared AIM program where everybody can see it.

WiZ ]

Actually there is a SMF shoutbox mod that COMPLETELY runs with the forums. You don't have to log in. If you dont have access to the forums you can't see it. If your name is banned you can't use it. It shows your name as the color assigned in the membergroup here.

Almost like a shared AIM program where everybody can see it.

Sounds perfect.!!

Thats the kind i'm talking about..

What d'ya say Tow/Snipey..?

I have two shout box programs for the Blunt Force forums, one has all the features of banning IP's and making matches and so on (hell its even a flash chat box) and I have the strait up html chat box.

I have put both of these chat boxes on our site and we took them down for good because people really do stop posting in the forums, you can say all day that it won't effect you but in reality it does, you will check the forum, scroll though the shouts and then leave. Shout boxes are great don't get me wrong but I think if they are going to be used in a place like this then it should be for specific reason........such as

creating the shoutbox within a baseball thread so that it is only used for that thread

or doing the same thing for fanatsy football

Or set it up so that it is used for pre-war discusion of rules, clan check-in, etc, etc

or use it for a who's online thread

but it is a bad idea to put a shout box up on the main forum

you set a shoutbox/chatbox up in certain threads in admin and if anyone needs help doing this just let me know.

But thats my opinion on this