Anyone use a dazzle to record PS3?

I bought a dazzle a few months ago, and I am finally trying to set it up. I was just wondering if anyone used a dazzle to record ps3 gameplay, because I am stuck.

Here is what I am confused about. I have component AV cables for my ps3 (red, white, red, green, and blue). For the dazzle, it only has 1 video slot, which is the yellow video cable. My ps3 component cables did not come with a yellow cable.

Keep in mind, when I play I want to play in HD. I do not want to play in SD when I record.

So any suggestions to help me out?

Your SOL. there is no way to record with that unless you want to play in SD. HD video capture is still very expensive.

The cheapest card I have found is $500. Most are around $1,000. Last I checked was about 3-4 months ago maybe price has come down.

I have a DVD recorder/DVD player. I have not tried it yet but I guess I could use that to record, it accepts component input and HDMI input.

Then you could use that dazzle to extract the footage from your DVD player.

I dunno the cost or DVD-R's lately, but it might get expensive using a new disc every time you play a match.

Ok, they are CORRECT. What I do, gives the 'best possible' quality by using the Dazzle 170 (something like that?) and it's 'S-VIDEO' connection. That's the black plug thingy next to the yellow video (so, you have the L-R Audio which are red and white, then the 'S-VIDEO plug', and then the yellow rca). S-VIDEO, is NOT HD, but is as good...as your COMPONENT connection. (Your DAZZLE does not support COMPONENT connections, only RCA and S-VIDEO).

Depending on the type of HDTV you have, you might need to go to Radio Shack and purchase a D/B (Distribution Box) @$50.00. You would need 'that', if you HDTV does NOT have a VIDEO OUT. What the 'D/B' does, is accept 1 input (the OUTPUT, of the PS3), and amplifies and splits equally', so that you have 2 outputs. 1 of the 2 outputs, go to the VIDEO IN/AUDIO IN, of your HDTV...the other outputs, go to your Dazzle.

Now, in order to use the 'S-VIDEO', you "have to have the S-VIDEO cable for your PS3", and ALSO set your PS3, to work with 'S-VIDEO'.

My setup goes a bit deeper, in that I have other expensive things going on (the Gefen L-R Analog to Digital Toslink Converter:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5278),

...which turns the L-R AUDIO that goes to the HDTV, into 'DIGITAL AUDIO'...so that I can re-route it back into my 7-1 Surround System. Everything is hidden, so you don't even see anything...until the PS3 is turned on and I connect my notebook to the USB wall socket where the notebook sits, across the room!

I 'also' still have the HDMI setup as well! I just have to go into the PS3 settings and 'switch from the S-VIDEO', to the 'HDMI'...depending on whether or not I want to record what I play, or just watch a nice Blue-ray Movie, etc.

It's what I have 'NOW', but I will be investing in an HDTV Capture very soon. I already have the 'Abode Premier Pro' Software (which 'does' accept certain outside HD Capture cards!), and everything for that, just have to find time to learn about the many 'HD capture cards' available and etc. But if you just want a good view of the game 'while recording'...the Dazzle is your best bet...

REFERENCES:

1) http://clankillas.net/blog/2008/04/14/how-to-capture-high-quality-videos/#comment-14

2) http://clankillas.net/blog/2008/04/21/my-first-video/

Yep I use to use a dazzle to record our matches on the PS2 because I could still use S-video and I only had a 27'' tv at the time, so the quality wasn't bad. Now I use a nice digital camcorder to record our matches, I didn't want to sacrifice my HDMI connection on my 50'' tv I currently have. And I realize this probably isn't the ultimate setup but it works quite nicely since the tv is so big I just setup a tripod in front of tv and it works actually pretty well, the quality is good enough to dispute or defend a dispute and thats all I really needed it for. Plus I can use it for all kinds of stuff not just socom, I have been recording my dog doing tricks, take on vacations or sporting events etc.