Wireless Router Help

I was told by my wife that my daughter climbed under our desk and hit something while she was under there. She said that the screen went black for about five seconds and when it came back on, the internet connection had been disabled.

So I contacted Comcast and it was determined that something happened to the wireless router. Because when I connect the modem straight to the PC, the connection is fine. But when it goes through the router first, I don't get anything. I tried unplugging the router and the reset button, with no luck.

When I do connect everything as usual, the network icon on the router is flashing. According to the sticker on the side of it, its supposed to be solid.

I was just go buy another one, because I can't think of anything else to do. Unless, someone here can help me and give me suggestion I haven't tried yet. I think I'm already starting to go through DT's without my PS3 being able to get online.

• Directors

before you do that...

There is a correct order of steps to make sure it is not the router...

First of all to do a test on the router to see if it is connecting to the computer correctly...

Unplug your router from the modem and wait about 30 sec... this will give your computer time to realize it is no longer connected.

Then plug the computer into the router only not the comcast modem...

Once you have done this... take a look at your network connection status and see if it is getting an IP other than 169.whatever.

If you are still getting a 169. then your router is probably bricked and will need replacing. make sure you check all 4 ports.

Now if it does give you an ip address like 192.something then your router is working and follow these steps...

unplug the power to your comcast modem and your router and wait for about a minute...

1st plug in the comcast modem and wait for the sync or dsl light to go solid (the light that indicates that your modem is connected to comcast)

Next plug in the power to your router wait about 45 seconds...

Then plug your computer in...

That shoudl get the flow reset... if this does still not work then replace your router.

Yeah good post DJ.

If you hook your pc right to the router only after the wait period.. open explorer and type 192.168.1.1 to see a linksys router's setup.

192.168.0.1 for a D-Link

then you go Modem power up first.. then router power up hooked to modem then the PC.

DJHaole ]

So what happened?

I went through every step, step by step and still nothing. So I just bought a new one. No huge loss, I just bought a cheap $30 D-Link. Which is what I had before.

After the fit I threw, I'm sure my wife will keep my daughter clear of all the hook ups under the desk.

Thanks again.

Sounds like the old router did indeed fry or something.. oh well it was worth a shot and like you said it wasn't that much to grab a new one.

I would have went with linksys as well though.. I've never used their customer support though.. IMO the WRT54G is still the best router ever made. but that's because its one of the few offered that had firmware that was open source. Using a 54G with the right third party firmware turns that router into a beast. It's the reason they go for good bucks on ebay. Linksys has since not gone open source firmware for their newest routers.. too bad .. I think they slipped up once and then backed tracked on any open source firmware idea. Anyway for info only.. if you come across that particular router at a garage sale or something its worth picking it up.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MoreOnAlternateLinksysFirmware.aspx

if you have one then DD-WRT firmware improves it dramatically.

• Directors
IRISH BULL ]

I was curious though, what is the difference in a $30 D-Link and a $150 Linksys? I've never had problems with loading or ever being accused of being extremely laggy.

I mean, where would I see the difference in the two?

Well the $150 router will be all about function... though to get gigabit, the $50 to $70 linksys offers this and it is all about packet optimization... the higher price on the router the more you can control that optimization.

• Directors

I use DD-WRT on my router... and it will give you some control and has a very easy walk through on installing it... but be warned... one hickup and that router is toast.

But firmware will not add gigabit to your router... that is a hardware component.

DJHaole ]
IRISH BULL ]

I was curious though, what is the difference in a $30 D-Link and a $150 Linksys? I've never had problems with loading or ever being accused of being extremely laggy.

I mean, where would I see the difference in the two?

Well the $150 router will be all about function... though to get gigabit, the $50 to $70 linksys offers this and it is all about packet optimization... the higher price on the router the more you can control that optimization.

So if I'm reading this right, it doesn't make a difference if I'm just using it to get the wireless signal to my PS3 and laptop? As long as my internet speed is up to par and my PS3 is receiving a 100% signal at all times from the router, there is no need for a more "high tech" router??