What is the point of ESRB ratings?

The ESRB ratings were established (in 1994) to provide consumers an idea of what sort of contents were in the game. That way Johnny wouldn't get hack-slash/gore/sex and drug reference filled games from his ignorant parents for Christmas by accident. Innovative games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, and Night Trap were some of the first to contain "extreme" genres (violence, blood, etc). Back then, the discussion was: "...these games will teach our children how to kill other people..."

So basically, ESRB was created because of "game content."

Since the creation of the ESRB, technology has changed so much that you no longer have to be in the same room with the person you are playing against. It is now possible to play against people on the other side of planet Earth! A new level of interaction between players has been created--heck, it is CHEAPER to talk to someone in a video game in another country than it is to call them with a cell phone--but currently there are no standards/laws set into place that govern interactions between minors and adults in online based video games.

Lately, I have been thinking about how terrible the community in MW2 is. I believe that it has to do with minors playing with "adults."

Modern Warfare 2 is rated by ESRB to be M for Mature (17+). To purchase this game at a retail store you must be 17 or older. The rating on the box also states that, "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB." For anyone who has played any amount of any Call of Duty/Halo or any popular M Rated FPS shooter, you have seen how despicable people can be in the game. Lobbies contain such disgusting language. If I were a parent, I would not expose my children to such profanity or this level of interaction with people who we don't even know.

Personally, I have played online video games for a very short amount of time compared to the actual lifespan of online gaming. However; in that short time, I have seen a progression of more and more minors saying/interacting with other players that an adult should be embarrassed to say/do. With current trends, I actually now fear more for the future of our society than I did when the "content" of games was an issue.

Any amount of respect that minors should have for adults (at least the kind that has been around since... forever) has been quickly dissolving. I do not want to imagine what video games will be like when current minors become adults and the terrible influence they will have on future minors.

So anyway, the topic of this discussion is: why don't PS3, XBOX, and Steam prevent underage kids from playing games they are too young to be playing as well? If an underage kid is unable to purchase the game, just like how they can't purchase alcohol, shouldn't it be illegal for them to play the game...? Just like how they can't legally drink alcohol?

I'm surprised with how sue-happy people are these days that this hasn't been an issue already!

When you sign up for an account on PS3, you are required to provide your birth date. I'm pretty sure the same goes for XBOX as well as Steam. Shouldn't there be some sort of block implemented by PS3, XBOX, and Steam to prevent underage users from being able to start this game up on their console if they are underage? Granted this is easily bypassed by providing a false date... but isn't providing false information illegal too? I think PS3/XBOX/Steam and online matchmaking services should require people to verify their age... whether it is SSN, Driver's Licence, or Birth Certificate.

Obviously $$$ is the issue here. Consoles manufacturers are not going to prevent consumers from playing particular games on their console because that would hurt their business, the publishers, and the manufacturers. Until there is a law preventing them from doing/allowing something they turn their head away (that is just how the business world operates).

Because it is currently impossible to prevent minors from gaining access to these games, another solution to this epidemic could come from the manufacturers/game studios. Minors should only be playing against minors. Adults should only play adults. The video game/matchmaking servers should not be putting them together. How easy would it be for the games to check players birth dates, tell the matchmaking server their age, then place players into appropriate matches?

In Minors' games: mics, text message/chat, or any other form of interaction not related to gameplay between players should be disabled.

I am interested as to what everyone thoughts are on the ESRB, lack of enforcement of online play between minors and adults, society or the onine gaming community in general.

Do you know how many times i have been shit talked by some kid who hasnt even had his nuts drop yet and its kinda bad because yes im only 21 but i know how to show some respect to not shit talk ppl who dont shit talk me thats why i enjoy this site because when i know im getting into a match or whatever with someone from this community i know they will show me as much respect as i show them and that is only fair but little johnny over there in the public rooms belive he seems cooler talking shit to someone who could destroy him and its really not so bad when they talk shit but when they start saying racist vulgars i wanna reach throught the fucking tv and choke them because that shit aint cool it really isnt and it pisses me off.

I understand your thoughts and opinions on this matter, however, the problem doesn't lie with the online gaming communities. The problem lies with the Parents.

Parents still buy games rated M for Mature. They still allow little Johnny to get "online" with his game and they don't Police his online gaming.

My brother has a 7 year old little boy. He allows his son to play video games. He carefully selects games for his son by doing research, and making sure the game isn't too mature for him. He doesn't allow him to play games "online". He doesn't want his son subjected to the language etc. of online gaming. That's what "Mature" adults do.

So, bottom line don't blame the games, the online communities, the gamers. Blame the Parents for not doing their jobs as a Parent.

YourMomsNewBF_69 ]

Do you know how many times i have been shit talked by some kid who hasnt even had his nuts drop yet and its kinda bad because yes im only 21 but i know how to show some respect to not shit talk ppl who dont shit talk me thats why i enjoy this site because when i know im getting into a match or whatever with someone from this community i know they will show me as much respect as i show them and that is only fair but little johnny over there in the public rooms belive he seems cooler talking shit to someone who could destroy him and its really not so bad when they talk shit but when they start saying racist vulgars i wanna reach throught the fucking tv and choke them because that shit aint cool it really isnt and it pisses me off.

I like this sentence too.

You can look at it any number of ways. I took my 4 yr old son to Transformers 2. It was rated PG13. Does that make me a bad parent? Yeah, sorta. I basically introduced him into the world of violence. I also let him watch X-men.....he wants to be Wolverine. Again, he walks around talking about killing people.....my bad.

I will say I did it for noble (in my mind) reasons. I grew up on Transformers and X-men. I am a well adjusted grown ass man, so I figure I am basically getting him interested in 'boy' things. He has 3 older sisters, so you can imagine what his idea of a good time was before (barbies, house, dressing up...ugh) he learned of killer robots from outerspace.

All the same, I have influenced my son to think that violence is awesome, and their are no consequences past what you can fly away from. That is wrong.

Now I use that as an example because my son is too young to play video games online. When he is old enough, he will have to sneak MW22 game time in at a friends house with more lenient parents BECAUSE of the online content. I have whitnessed to many fucktards online to let my kids mess with it. I was a grown man before I played my first online game (NFL 2K on the Dreamcast), and he needs to be at LEAST driving before I let him do anything other than play in a controlled situation online.

Tool_Minion ]

You can look at it any number of ways. I took my 4 yr old son to Transformers 2. It was rated PG13. Does that make me a bad parent? Yeah, sorta. I basically introduced him into the world of violence. I also let him watch X-men.....he wants to be Wolverine. Again, he walks around talking about killing people.....my bad.

In my mind, there is a distinct difference between fantasy and reality. What you did with your kid is fine... As I stated in the first post, I don't have a problem with the content of games. I don't think this will lead to creating a epidemic within our society. In fact, introducing your kid to a world of fantasy is a good thing. Just because your kid chose Wolverine (who kills people with claws that come out of his hands)... how is that any different that Superman--considered a good "hero"... beating up villains?

If you allowed your kid to experience the uncontrolled, disgraceful experiences in online games... then I see a problem. It would be interesting if someone did a study to see how the behavior of minors changes after 1 year of online gaming. Granted, respect for adults and other human beings in general is difficult to quantify but I think the difference between the minor exposed to online gaming and the minor who hasn't would be HUGE!

o_HALO_o ]

I understand your thoughts and opinions on this matter, however, the problem doesn't lie with the online gaming communities. The problem lies with the Parents.

Parents still buy games rated M for Mature. They still allow little Johnny to get "online" with his game and they don't Police his online gaming.

My brother has a 7 year old little boy. He allows his son to play video games. He carefully selects games for his son by doing research, and making sure the game isn't too mature for him. He doesn't allow him to play games "online". He doesn't want his son subjected to the language etc. of online gaming. That's what "Mature" adults do.

So, bottom line don't blame the games, the online communities, the gamers. Blame the Parents for not doing their jobs as a Parent.

Just curious, do you think these said parents would take the game away if they really knew what was going on?

o_HALO_o ]

x2, nuff said.

TheCaracarn ]
o_HALO_o ]

Just curious, do you think these said parents would take the game away if they really knew what was going on?

That's a loaded question. It all goes back to the Parent and what type of Parent they are.

Take Tool's example of him and his son. Some would say what he did was wrong. I don't!!

As long as the "Parent" teaches the child the differences between right and wrong, what's exceptable and unexceptable then there shouldn't be any major issues.

You still have to figure in that as the child grows he's going to learn from other people and their actions, peer pressure etc.

However, as long as the Parent instilled the right values in the child he should turn out fine.

I'm getting off topic slightly.....Back to children and online gaming.

Some Parents figure they can throw a video game in, turn on the tv, throw some food in front of the kid and they can then be free to go about their own business. Some Parents just don't get it.

A video game isn't a babysitter.

o_HALO_o ]

Agree!! I let my son play some online games at a young age, FOrza/Mario Cart/Etc, but NEVER with a mic. And never with the voices of other players on. Thats one thing I really like about the Xbox, you can turn off in-game chat so it doesn't come across the speakers.

Both systems have the ability to prevent certain rated games from being played at all. Again, its up to the parent. But then, there are games that aren't rated "M" that have the ability to play online or go into some sort of lobby.

That again falls back on the parents and their parenting practices. The online world is like the wild West, anything goes. If you feel comfortable to let your kids play online and interact with other people, including adults, that's your right. We have enough regulation as it is. We don't need government officials "policing" the online world to protect our children. Its up to the parent's to protect their children.

Also, every system has the ability to report abusers in the online world. The best way we can act as responsible gamers, are to report these jag-off's. I've exercised this right when someone goes to far.

I know all that, Bull. If the PS3 has the ability to turn off in game comms, I haven't found it. Usually when your headset is unplugged, it comes thru the TV. On Xbox, you can turn that off too, so all you hear is the game sounds. That was why my boy only played XBOX games online. The interaction with dipshits is taken completely off the table.

IRISH BULL ]

That again falls back on the parents and their parenting practices. The online world is like the wild West, anything goes. If you feel comfortable to let your kids play online and interact with other people, including adults, that's your right. We have enough regulation as it is. We don't need government officials "policing" the online world to protect our children. Its up to the parent's to protect their children.

I couldn't agree more. I could go off on a whole list of things the government has messed up.

Has anyone else been out on saturday afternoon and seen a Parent discipling their child in public, only to have that one nosey son of a bitch try to step in and tell the Parent how to raise their child?

Hell, when I was growing up in wasn't uncommon for one of my Parents to whip off their belt and commense to whipping my ass if I was doing something wrong. Didn't matter if it was at home or in public.

Now, you got people saying you can't spank your children.

Sit them in a corner and give them a time-out.

WTF is that?

That would've just given me more time to think about how not to get caught next time.

There's a big difference in abuse and discipline. Parents get in more trouble these days for disciplining their children vs if they don't discipline them.

I ask myself all the time, What the hell is wrong with the world today?

I think things should be like they were when my Parents where children.

I agree fully i got my ass kicked plenty of time not because my parents enjoyed beating my ass (sometimes they probably did ;D) but i know i deserved it for fucking up and now i grew up and finally realized why they did and i thank them everyday for what they did because if they wouldnt of done it god knows were i would be right now probably some guy who games way to much and is part of some great community called Urgent Fury

o_HALO_o ]Some Parents figure they can throw a video game in, turn on the tv, throw some food in front of the kid and they can then be free to go about their own business. Some Parents just don't get it.

As a wise man once said, "...nobody is ever given a book on how to run your life..."

Parents are not taught how to raise children. Unfortunately, especially where I live, it is taboo to get married young and have kids. I know many people who have had kids who are not capable as human beings to have children.

I guess to make my last question to you slightly more concise... Say there was an organization with the intent to stop/inform parents about what goes on in online games. It could be modeled and be similar to the Truth About Tobacco organization where they do advertisements in various media forms. Would the majority of parents just say "meh" or would they take what that organization advertises to heart?

o_HALO_o ]

There's a big difference in abuse and discipline. Parents get in more trouble these days for disciplining their children vs if they don't discipline them.

Here is a thought. Where did the respect kids have for adults come from?

Did adults earn the respect of children/teens by exercising their superiority by physical contact (spanking, etc)?

Was the respect more of a fear of doing wrong?

Was the respect just ingrained into society?

Is the lack of respect kids have for adults due to not being directed in a physical manner? Or is it just a result of ignoring the child causing the child to become independent far too soon?

TheCaracarn ]
o_HALO_o ]Some Parents figure they can throw a video game in, turn on the tv, throw some food in front of the kid and they can then be free to go about their own business. Some Parents just don't get it.

As a wise man once said, "...nobody is ever given a book on how to run your life..."

Parents are not taught how to raise children. Unfortunately, especially where I live, it is taboo to get married young and have kids. I know many people who have had kids who are not capable as human beings to have children.

I guess to make my last question to you slightly more concise... Say there was an organization with the intent to stop/inform parents about what goes on in online games. It could be modeled and be similar to the Truth About Tobacco organization where they do advertisements in various media forms. Would the majority of parents just say "meh" or would they take what that organization advertises to heart?

o_HALO_o ]

Here is a thought. Where did the respect kids have for adults come from?

Did adults earn the respect of children/teens by exercising their superiority by physical contact (spanking, etc)?

Was the respect more of a fear of doing wrong?

Was the respect just ingrained into society?

Is the lack of respect kids have for adults due to not being directed in a physical manner? Or is it just a result of ignoring the child causing the child to become independent far too soon?

If you honestly trying to say you dont belive in spanking your children when they are wrong either A) You were the perfect child that everyone dreamed of or B) You are just trying to make yourself look better cause you know damn well kids deserve to be spanked when they are wrong because that whole go to the corner bullshit and they dont learn nothing from it. Your right parents dont should be spending more time with their children instead of letting the game be there personal babysitter. I was 19 when i got married and i was 20 when i had my first child and i will be having another one in the next couple of days. But do you know where i learned to be a good parent from my parents and so on and so forth. I got spanked when i was wrong and i that taught me not to do it again because there would be consequences. Its the people who dont believe in spanking there children are the ones whos kids are running all over them and just doing whatever the hell they want and thats whats wrong now a days shit im not scared to spank my child and i dont give a fuck who says what because you know what i truely love my children and they may not see it when it happens but later in the future when they have there own children they will understand why i did it and appreciate it.

I didn't say that. I was just throwing some ideas out there.

This is getting off topic but I will say this, there is a right place and right time for spanking or physical contact. Just so we are clear on that.

What I am asking is more of a philosophical question... about society in general.

How was respect between a child and their parent first created 1000s of years ago?

YourMomsNewBF_69 ]

If you honestly trying to say you dont belive in spanking your children when they are wrong either A) You were the perfect child that everyone dreamed of or B) You are just trying to make yourself look better cause you know damn well kids deserve to be spanked when they are wrong because that whole go to the corner bullshit and they dont learn nothing from it. Your right parents dont should be spending more time with their children instead of letting the game be there personal babysitter. I was 19 when i got married and i was 20 when i had my first child and i will be having another one in the next couple of days. But do you know where i learned to be a good parent from my parents and so on and so forth. I got spanked when i was wrong and i that taught me not to do it again because there would be consequences. Its the people who dont believe in spanking there children are the ones whos kids are running all over them and just doing whatever the hell they want and thats whats wrong now a days shit im not scared to spank my child and i dont give a fuck who says what because you know what i truely love my children and they may not see it when it happens but later in the future when they have there own children they will understand why i did it and appreciate it.

This is getting off topic. But since you brought it up, I never EVER raised a hand to my kid. Its never crossed my mind, and I wasn't a perfect kid by any stretch of the imagination. So that's not it. AND, I don't think I'm trying to make myself "look better".

I also don't have a kid that runs the house. My daughter knows there are consequences for her bad choices and I get results without physical punishment. And pulling off a belt to hit a child with, like someone mentioned, is child abuse. Hitting any kid with ANY foreign object is child abuse. And you probably should be in prison. :police:

Now back on topic. I like idea of some sort of PSA's to inform parents who just know about the online gaming world. There are PSA's about your kids online with their computer, but your right, it should be included to cover the online gaming world. I would imagine that most parents aren't aware of what can be done on a XBOX or PS3.

They make sure they keep little Johnny or Suzzie away from bad websites on the home PC. But when the kids are playing their "toy" they think everything is fine. So yea, parents should definitely be informed. I don't think we need someone policing the online gaming community more than it already is. But parents who aren't informed should be informed so that THEY can make the decision based on their parenting practices.

Tool_Minion ]
YourMomsNewBF_69 ]

I like this sentence too.

I will say I did it for noble (in my mind) reasons. I grew up on Transformers and X-men. I am a well adjusted grown ass man, so I figure I am basically getting him interested in 'boy' things. He has 3 older sisters, so you can imagine what his idea of a good time was before (barbies, house, dressing up...ugh) he learned of killer robots from outerspace.

All the same, I have influenced my son to think that violence is awesome, and their are no consequences past what you can fly away from. That is wrong.

Now I use that as an example because my son is too young to play video games online. When he is old enough, he will have to sneak MW22 game time in at a friends house with more lenient parents BECAUSE of the online content. I have whitnessed to many fucktards online to let my kids mess with it. I was a grown man before I played my first online game (NFL 2K on the Dreamcast), and he needs to be at LEAST driving before I let him do anything other than play in a controlled situation online.

we all watched xmen and transformers when we were kids theres nothing wrong wit that does not in my eyes make u a bad parent at all the parents that let there 7 year old kids play mw2 online those are bad parents theres no end to the shit that goes on here 19 and im still shocked of the shit i hear on that and on socom not singlin mw2 theres a lot of scumbags out there