J. Russell jobless

WOOT! It's about time. Dude was weighing in over 300lbs again in the offseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/JaMarcus-Russell-cut-by-Raiders-Is-he-biggest-d?urn=nfl,239300

Three years after being selected with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, JaMarcus Russell(notes) is out of a job. The Oakland Raiders cut the quarterback on Thursday after a disappointing tenure in which the former LSU star earned $36 million to lead the team to a 7-18 record as a starter.

Reports indicated that Russell was tipping the scales at 300 pounds during the offseason, well above the 255 he supposedly weighed when he was selected in 2007. Ask anyone in the NFL to describe Russell and it wouldn't be long before the word "lazy" was peppered into the conversation.

That, coupled with the recent addition of former Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell(notes), made Russell expendable, so the Raiders made the only logical move and released him. In doing so, did JaMarcus Russell become the biggest draft bust ever?

Though his resume of incompetence can stand up next to anyone's, we're going to hold off on putting JaMarcus on the top of the list for one reason: His failure surprised no one. Generally, it's not a good sign when work ethic and weight are a major concern for scouts. One scouting profile wrote the following about Russell prior to the 2007 draft: "At maximum growth potential and any more weight will affect his quickness ... His weight needs to be monitored, as he will lose some of his agility when he hits the 260-pound range." The questions about laziness were more whispered, but the point is the same. People saw this coming.

He was a guy with a big arm, tremendous upside and a lot of college success who happened to be at the top of a fairly-weak draft class. Somebody had to go No. 1 and because Al Davis needed a quarterback and loves athletic football players, Russell was that guy. He was a No. 1 pick by default.

Russell joins Tim Couch(notes), David Carr(notes) and Alex Smith as other quarterbacks whose lack of success puts them in the "biggest bust ever" argument even though their expectations were more a function of draft positioning rather than an excess of talent. In short, they weren't Peyton Manning(notes).

Tony Mandarich, Reggie Bush(notes) and, to a degree, Michael Vick(notes) are different cases. They were each going to revolutionize the league but failed to have nearly as much impact as anticipated. They are the true busts. JaMarcus Russell merely lived down to expectations

BigMoneyNacku ]

No way is he in the same league as Ryan Leaf. I agree with the article that JR simply lived down to expectations. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be a savior. LOL

same league meaning he's not as bad as leaf was, or the other way around?

edit: stats added. they look pretty similar on paper:

Leaf: 2nd pick overall 98 draft, career stats:

G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

TOTAL 25 655 317 48.4 26.2 3,666 5.6 146.6 14 2.1 36 5.5 83 42 8 65 377 50.0

Russel: 1st pick overall 07 draft, career stats:

TOTAL 31 680 354 52.1 21.9 4,083 6.0 131.7 18 2.6 23 3.4 86 50 7 70 457 65.2

Crusty_Demons ]

Damn I didn't see this coming.

They just traded for Jason Campbell and would have paid Jamarcus Russell another 9 mil this year. Lol I was just trying to figure out what day this week they would release his ass. The Raiders are going to be much improved this year adding Campbell. Jamarcus sucks and I would be shocked if someone signed him.

MakeYaBleed ]

I meant that Leaf came out of college heralded as a very good QB. Everyone in the draft knew that JR was a "project" QB. Big arm and little else, especially work ethic. The ONLY reason JR went #1 or even in the top 10 is because AL davis is a douche. If I remember correctly, no scout even had JR in their top 5 qb's that year.

BigMoneyNacku ]
MakeYaBleed ]

I meant that Leaf came out of college heralded as a very good QB. Everyone in the draft knew that JR was a "project" QB. Big arm and little else, especially work ethic. The ONLY reason JR went #1 or even in the top 10 is because AL davis is a douche. If I remember correctly, no scout even had JR in their top 5 qb's that year.

He was definitely in the top 5 because that was a weak draft class for QB's. I hated him and I am a big LSU fan. Al Davis is a douche for sure and just looking back on all the pro bowlers taken in the 1st round that year has to haunt Al. The only bad move they made this year was trading Kirk Morrison. That move made no sense. If they had kept him, with Rolando McClain and Terrence Howard they would have a quality LB core.

Leaf was 10x better then that piece of shit Russel.

Russel was stupid literally, almost 300lbs and had no leadership at all. How anyone thought he was gonna amount to anything especially with that so called team in OAK was a mystery, yea he has a big arm woohoo yet my WRs couldn't catch the ball if they had stick-um in there hands. Oh and I can't wait till Campbell starts tanking seriously am I the only one to think oh so you replace a piece of shit 1st rounder with a guy who couldn't win shit and call him proven? What the fudge has he proven? I hate Oakland but it pisses me off to see them do so badly year in and year out.

Russell is from here and I've watched him since he was a freshman in high school. This guy has top notch talent but has become lazy. He hasn't always been this sorry when it comes to leadership and work ethic. He came into one of the worst H.S. teams in the area as a freshman and almost took them to a state title. At one point the school system was hurting for money and threatening to eliminate athletics to save. Jamarcus was one of the players getting out and trying to gain support to keep athletics funded.

I think there is more to this issue than what get's publicized. He grew up with his uncle being the main male figure in his life and his uncle made sure he did the right things. Around the time he was drafted his uncle became seriously ill and eventually passed. I think this along with going that far from home could be a factor in his lack of motivation. A new start and maybe some couseling could be what this guy needs.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next great QB but he's not as bad as percieved and he's more talented than Ryan Leaf. Living up to the expectations of the first pick in the draft will likely never happen but being a solid player is a possibillity. He's still young and would be worth taking a shot on if your a team needing a backup. You could probably get him for league minimum with incentives and clauses for weight.

I don't think OAK's wrs are that bad (other than heyward-bey, another bust).

Campbell is a solid qb. He's put up good numbers behind an awful offensive line

in Washington (sacked 81 times total over the past 2 years). I don't think OAK's

line is much better but Campbell is a much better QB than JR will ever be.

Wrath ]

Leaf was 10x better then that piece of shit Russel.

Russel was stupid literally' date=' almost 300lbs and had no leadership at all. How anyone thought he was gonna amount to anything especially with that so called team in OAK was a mystery, yea he has a big arm woohoo yet my WRs couldn't catch the ball if they had stick-um in there hands. Oh and I can't wait till Campbell starts tanking seriously am I the only one to think oh so you replace a piece of shit 1st rounder with a guy who couldn't win shit and call him proven? What the fudge has he proven? I hate Oakland but it pisses me off to see them do so badly year in and year out.

[/quote']

How is Jason Campbell unproven? He put up respectable numbers behind a crappy line as Bleed alluded to, and he has been through a ton of different offensive coordinators. He hasn't had time to adjust. Plus Santana Moss and Antoine Randle El aren't my ideal top 2 receivers. I think Campbell will do fine in Oakland. I don't like their receiving core but Zak Miller will be a nice target for him. Kind of a Cooley type receiving Tight End. They need to emphasize hands over feet in the next few drafts.

Prane ]
Crusty_Demons ]

Damn I didn't see this coming.

They just traded for Jason Campbell and would have paid Jamarcus Russell another 9 mil this year. Lol I was just trying to figure out what day this week they would release his ass. The Raiders are going to be much improved this year adding Campbell. Jamarcus sucks and I would be shocked if someone signed him.

I agree It's just not very often you don't see a rookie work their ass off day and night to try and keep their job. Oakland probably has the worst front end and ownership in the league and I have to think that contributed to it a little. Coaches and staff are supposed to motivate players obviously it was Russel's decision to be lazy but he was probably helped along. He did suck the big one but in all honesty so does the rest of that organization so it's not surprising they don't want to try hard. Oakland is where players go to watch their career die.

It was helped along by AL, crusty. That's one of the biggest reasons Lane Kiffin left. He wanted to diciple guys like JR more, and Al wasn't having it. Same situation now with Cable. I'm sure it is insanely frustrating to have to cater to a guy like that because the owner over rules you all the time.

The only reason I didn't like the Morrison trade was that they didn't get what he was worth IMO. They will be just fine at LB without him, but they should have gotten much more for him.

As far as WR, they definately are still lacking, but are getting better. Hard for young guys to get better when there isn't a veteran WR for them to turn to.

For the record: Zach Miller > Cooley. Zach is one of the best TE's in the league. If he were on a better team, he would always be in the Pro Bowl. That guy is pure money.

Lil V.C ]

really i thought kiffin left cuz hes a flake... hmmm guess i was wrong about him

LOL. He is a little flaky!!! Everything he tried to implement in Oakland was shot down by the "boss" though. Look at Chucky, built a winning team and the "boss" pissed him off, and ran him outta town too. SHit, every damn coach we've had in years that might have been worth a damn, left because of disagreements with that douche.