Cubbies fire back at Brewers, acquire Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin

Here is the details of the trade:

Cubs receive:

Rich Harden

Chad Gaudin

A's receive:

Sean Gallagher, Matt Murton, Eric Patterson, and Josh Donaldson.

----------------------------------

I'm sad to see Gallagher and Patterson go as they are both future all stars. We are playing in the now and we just acquired another Ace to go with Big Z and another young arm in Gaudin.

Guest SuddenRedScare

I'll admit it was a great trade for the Cubs. They defiantly needed to add other good starter to match up with Sabathia. The way I see it, we're (The Brewers) playing for the Wild Card now. But who knows? Anything can happen in this game.

Fuck the Cubs. B)

Guest M16Assassin
SuddenRedScare ]

I'll admit it was a great trade for the Cubs. They defiantly needed to add other good starter to match up with Sabathia. The way I see it, we're (The Brewers) playing for the Wild Card now. But who knows? Anything can happen in this game.

Fuck the Cubs. B)

FUck you Sudden!!! As always ;D

Watch out ladies CUbbies are taking this one for sure now!!! We get rich harden for in my opinion nothing special. Yeah Gallagher may be ok someday I am not a fan of his and I can't stand Murton. Reed Johnson and Ronny Cedeno are better fill ins.

I'm an A's fan and I'm really sad to see Harden leave, but I could honestly care less about Gaudin. Unlike the Cubbies we're in a rebuilding year, and doing quite well I might add. So hopefully the young guys will hold up to expectations and kick ass in the near future.

We will see how the Cubs do when they start playing on the road more then home. They can score runs but to pitching and D win the World Series and honestly I don't think the Cubs have the D or horses on the mound yet to pull it off. Soriano's bat will not make up for his lack of D. Ramirez is having a good year but up the middle is going to be weak when it comes to the playoffs.

I am worried about the Sox even though they are in 1st in what was predicted as the toughest division. The bats are starting to come around but the inconsistency of the starters scares me. Indians are done (sorry Sequoyah but they are) and Detroit could still pop up with something.

Phillies SHOULD win the division but need to hold off the Mets if they come alive.

I am really happy about the Rays, I am not a fan but it is good to see the RSox and Yanks getting their asses handed to them by a small market club. They are playing great smart baseball and it is fun to watch. They have followed the Twins game plan and both organizations are doing very well.

SHANE23 ]

We will see how the Cubs do when they start playing on the road more then home. They can score runs but to pitching and D win the World Series and honestly I don't think the Cubs have the D or horses on the mound yet to pull it off. Soriano's bat will not make up for his lack of D. Ramirez is having a good year but up the middle is going to be weak when it comes to the playoffs.

I am worried about the Sox even though they are in 1st in what was predicted as the toughest division. The bats are starting to come around but the inconsistency of the starters scares me. Indians are done (sorry Sequoyah but they are) and Detroit could still pop up with something.

Phillies SHOULD win the division but need to hold off the Mets if they come alive.

I am really happy about the Rays, I am not a fan but it is good to see the RSox and Yanks getting their asses handed to them by a small market club. They are playing great smart baseball and it is fun to watch. They have followed the Twins game plan and both organizations are doing very well.

Why does EVERY Cubs critic keep saying I can't wait to see the Cubs play the rest of the season with more games on the road. The Cubs have 36 home games remaining and 35 roadies. Also what do you mean we don't have the pitching nor the defense to win the series? Zambrano-Harden-Dempster and possibly Lilly (who since a slow start has really come on) in a 7 game series is fantastic. I was at the game today and Zambrano pitched phenominal, nearly threw a no-no. All three of our front three starters have a sub 3.25 era (Zambrano and Harden are in the 2's) and our bullpen is one of the best in the league. Marmol has struggled of late, but the best part of the Harden deal is we get a bullpen arm to take some of the innings off Marmol's workload.

Also our defense sports 2 gold glove fielders (Edmonds and Lee), not to mention Fukudome's awesome defense in right which will probably net him a gold glove this year. Up the middle shouldn't be a problem, Theriot is a really solid fielder and DeRosa plays well at second (Fontenot isn't as good, but he won't be playing nearly as much when Soriano returns and DeRosa is back at 2nd full time). As you said Ramirez is having a good year, as is Soto behind the plate. The ONLY liability I see in the field is Soriano, but his bat and cannon arm make up for his lackluster routes to flyballs/linedrives.

Btw I am buying tickets for Saturday to see Harden's debut.

Cubs are 35-10 at home and 20-26 on the road. AND look at their record against EAST, CENTRAL and WEST. Your record looks good because you beat up on teams like Pit, Cin and Houston and the weak West. Let's see what happens when they have more games on the road where they have to travel and against the East. Sorry but it has been a gravy train for the Cubs this year in terms of schedule. They have the least travel distance so far.

Lily is going to get rocked come playoff time, sorry he doesn't have good enough stuff for the playoffs.

Cubs will make the playoffs but I cannot see them winning the World Series IF they get there.

BTW I like Edmonds but he is done. Yes he WAS a gold glover and has made two of the best catches in MLB history BUT he cannot stay healthy and is a liability at the plate now. Lee is not having a great year in the field compared to his normal D. I am just saying that I don't think the Cubs have the horses to win it all.

The Cubs have a 7-4 record against the East in limited action. While we have beat up on the Pirates, as we should, we have played Houston a WHOPPING 6 times thus far and Cincinnati 8 times. We face both of them more in the second half than in the first. Also we have had quite a few road trips where we have to travel, including a 6 gamer on the west coast... A gravy train? 6 games against the first place White Sox, a series in Tampa Bay (one of the best home records), 2 series in St. Louis, sweeping the D-Back (who at the time had the best record in baseball). Not to mention finishing June 15-12, while playing 17 games on the road. Quite frankly we have gone through the toughest part of our schedule until September when we have 9 home games and 16 road games.

Also don't base you're argument about our pitching not cutting it on Ted Lilly, our number 4 starter, who would only start in the playoffs in the event one of our front 3 needs rest. And the "done" Edmonds has been making phenominal plays in the field all season and he's hitting .293 with 8 homers and 24 rbi in 109 at bats since coming to the Cubs. He has been pretty healthy all season, especially with the Cubs, I fail to see the liability of a veteran hitter who plays stellar center field. The only thing I can agree with you on is that Lee has made more errors than normal, but he is still a GREAT 1st baseman and makes every infielder better. Watch one game and count how many times Lee digs out a bad throw or makes a phenominal play in the field routinely.

smokeosama ]

The Cubs have a 7-4 record against the East in limited action. While we have beat up on the Pirates, as we should, we have played Houston a WHOPPING 6 times thus far and Cincinnati 8 times. We face both of them more in the second half than in the first. Also we have had quite a few road trips where we have to travel, including a 6 gamer on the west coast... A gravy train? 6 games against the first place White Sox, a series in Tampa Bay (one of the best home records), 2 series in St. Louis, sweeping the D-Back (who at the time had the best record in baseball). Not to mention finishing June 15-12, while playing 17 games on the road. Quite frankly we have gone through the toughest part of our schedule until September when we have 9 home games and 16 road games.

Also don't base you're argument about our pitching not cutting it on Ted Lilly, our number 4 starter, who would only start in the playoffs in the event one of our front 3 needs rest. And the "done" Edmonds has been making phenominal plays in the field all season and he's hitting .293 with 8 homers and 24 rbi in 109 at bats since coming to the Cubs. He has been pretty healthy all season, especially with the Cubs, I fail to see the liability of a veteran hitter who plays stellar center field. The only thing I can agree with you on is that Lee has made more errors than normal, but he is still a GREAT 1st baseman and makes every infielder better. Watch one game and count how many times Lee digs out a bad throw or makes a phenominal play in the field routinely.

Smokes, I couldn't have said it better myself. I have been a die hard Cub fan for all of my 18 years and this is easily the best Cub team I have seen. Lilly is a deceptive pitcher, and his stuff will only get better as the season goes on. He throws a lot of junk including that nifty, huge curve ball. Speaking from experience (I was a #2 high school side arm junk thrower), I got better as the season went on. The more time he has to get those junk pitches moving around the better he is going to be. As for Jim Edmonds, the Padres were extremely silly to let him go. Sure he is old, but he can still play with the best of them. What impresses me most is that most of his home runs that I have seen are opposite field bombs. You only see the best hitters in baseball go yard opposite field on a consistent basis.

As far Harden, I am stoked, this is making our already good pitching staff stellar. I am interested to see which transaction is going to pay off more, the acquiring of Jim Edmonds for next to nothing, or trading to get Harden. Hell I hope they both pan out nicely, but for now, only time will tell.

Road trips to ST Louis and Comisky are NOT road trips, either are Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Pitt. You beat Arizona when they were slumping and lost to the Rays. You had EVERY advantage to beat the Sox at Comisky but got swept. You had a home series, Sox come in and you sweep, Sox go to LA for 3 games and fly back to Chicago while you are at home all week. Then you have to travel to Comisky, oh boy 10 miles, and get swept. You couldn't ask for a better chance.

Every year Cub fans say the same thing, this is the best team we have had in a long time and this is our year. Every year the Cubs FIND a way to blow it and blame it on something, Bartman, Goat, because of how many day games or any number of excuses. Why can't you see that?

I am not saying the Cubs are a bad team I am saying they have had one of if not the easiest schedules in the league.

SHANE23 ]

Road trips to ST Louis and Comisky are NOT road trips, either are Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Pitt. You beat Arizona when they were slumping and lost to the Rays. You had EVERY advantage to beat the Sox at Comisky but got swept. You had a home series, Sox come in and you sweep, Sox go to LA for 3 games and fly back to Chicago while you are at home all week. Then you have to travel to Comisky, oh boy 10 miles, and get swept. You couldn't ask for a better chance.

Every year Cub fans say the same thing, this is the best team we have had in a long time and this is our year. Every year the Cubs FIND a way to blow it and blame it on something, Bartman, Goat, because of how many day games or any number of excuses. Why can't you see that?

I am not saying the Cubs are a bad team I am saying they have had one of if not the easiest schedules in the league.

I prefer not to make excuses. Bartman was never an issue in my eyes. In recent years Moises Alou admitted he would have never caught the ball. IMO it was Alou's negative reaction to the incident that sent them in a downward spiral. Not to mention any real Cubs fan knows that Alex Gonzalez's error on the double play ball is what solidified the melt down. What is wrong with Cubs fans thinking every year is our year. It never hurts to hope and pull for them. If they blow it so be it, I am going down with them, but until that time, THIS IS OUR YEAR! I personally have never made an excuse for the Cubs, I know when they blow it, and I admit to, so please don't place me into the stereotype that you have formulated in your head about Cubs fans.

PS- How is Pitt not a road trip? LOL Thats a little baffling to me.

SHANE23 ]

Yes we beat the then 22-12 slumping D-Backs...right... We find excuses? No, we don't, only a MORON would blame Bartman for our NLCS Game 6 loss. It was Gonzalez's fault for dropping a routine double play ball, Baker's fault for leaving Prior in too long, and Prior's fault for allowing a few bad breaks to get in his head. I've never heard any Cubs fan proclaim "we play too many day games, thus we lost." That's just idiotic and our day record is way better than our night game record last I checked. If the Cubs lose I admit they got beat, I don't look for something to blame.

deltron0 ]

lol @ playing too many day games. wtf

Believe it or not on Chicago Sports radio that was one of the excuses!!! They said all the day games was draining playing under the sun. LOL

I like how everyone now says Bartman wasn't at fault but yet still cannot live in Chicago! He was put in witness protection and moved!

And NO Pitt is not a road trip. It is like playing a league softball team! You can go and fuck around, drink your ass off and still win against them.