HD radio?

I do think it is worth it.. even though i dont have one. lol

I used to work in Radio & we had lots of "other" stations going on.. it is only going to get bigger with more options. basically one station will have multiple stations that are similar to the main station, but usually a little more directed in one genre or another..

Example, your avg newer rock station could have 3 HD stations:

HD1 - Rock of the 80's

HD2 - Rock of the 90's

HD3 - All metal & Punk

Even though the normal station might play a mix of all of these, it is rare to hear a lot from one very often.

Also depends how much you like music..

Some people only know spoon fed radio tunes, some people are happy with only bands & songs that get played on the radio, & if that is you then there might be no need for HD.

If you want more choices.. it is a FREE way to go. (as oppssed to XM/Sirius, which is good too, but cost$)

Also depends on what your local stations have to offer in HD. (HD Radio isn't about the quality of the sound ;))

Side note - the XM/Sirius merger is finally a done deal so i would wait on buying anything regarding satelite radio. there will be plenty of options, & promotional deals coming later this/next year.

Chili-Palmer ]

I do think it is worth it.. even though i dont have one. lol

I used to work in Radio & we had lots of "other" stations going on.. it is only going to get bigger with more options. basically one station will have multiple stations that are similar to the main station, but usually a little more directed in one genre or another..

Example, your avg newer rock station could have 3 HD stations:

HD1 - Rock of the 80's

HD2 - Rock of the 90's

HD3 - All metal & Punk

Even though the normal station might play a mix of all of these, it is rare to hear a lot from one very often.

Also depends how much you like music..

Some people only know spoon fed radio tunes, some people are happy with only bands & songs that get played on the radio, & if that is you then there might be no need for HD.

If you want more choices.. it is a FREE way to go. (as oppossed to XM/Sirius, which is good too, but cost$)

Also depends on what your local stations have to offer in HD. (HD Radio isn't about the quality of the sound ;))

Side note - the XM/Sirius merger is finally a done deal so i would wait on buying anything regarding satellite radio. there will be plenty of options, & promotional deals coming later this/next year.

I don't have time to look it up yet, but I heard a while ago that HD radio had nothing to do with HD at all and all it was was a stronger receiver to get channels out of your area or that came in crappy before.

ok I looked it up lol from Wiki:

According to iBiquity, the name "HD Radio" is simply the company's brand for its digital radio technology,[1] and does not stand for "Hybrid Digital" or "High Definition" as commonly believed. Local radio broadcasters use the "HD Radio" moniker to provide listeners with additional radio channels through FM multicasting, while remaining in their traditional places on the radio dial. As with traditional AM, FM and TV broadcasting, HD Radio programming is subscription-free and supported either by commercial advertising or by membership as in public broadcasting. Although HD Radio is promoted as a "cost-free" alternative to satellite radio, listeners of both HD and satellite radio must purchase new receivers enabled with the technology in order to receive the broadcast signals.

I did not know about the multi casting thing, that may make it a little more worth it.

I'm waiting on the Satellite now though for sure.

i dont listen to the radio. Too much "meet me in the club...its goin downnnnn..." (like, what is going down exactly? is it in the street? the club? yo' mama's house?) or songs by that homo band Nickleback. Commercial bubble gum pop or people like Akon lying about being gangsta to have "street cred."

No it works like this.. (your radio will not show it like this YET, but this helps to explain)

If a station is on 95.5, then in HD it has 95.51, 95.53, 95.55, 95.57, 95.59

So eventually each station will have 5 times the choices.!

It is free, you just have to have the receiver.

I know when i buy my next receiver it will have HD, & Satelite. (as well as an input for the ipod)

but like i said im going to wait on the receiver until Sirius/XM have figured out their logistics.

As far as Satelite.. Sirius is better, but i really like a couple of XM stations, so i cant wait to be able to have both.!

I hope they actually end up using the XM name over the Sirius name it just sounds better.

HD radio is really no different that HD television. I good comparison would be turn on your radio and listen to a song, then pop in that cd with the same song .... that's roughly the difference in sound. HD radio sounds much better, just as a CD does over the radio.

Chili-Palmer ]

No it works like this.. (your radio will not show it like this YET, but this helps to explain)

I know when i buy my next receiver it will have HD, & Satelite. (as well as an input for the ipod)

but like i said im going to wait on the receiver until Sirius/XM have figured out their logistics.

As far as Satelite.. Sirius is better, but i really like a couple of XM stations, so i cant wait to be able to have both.!

I hope they actually end up using the XM name over the Sirius name it just sounds better.

I am completely with you there Chili.

The comedy channels on XM kicked the crap out of the ones on Sirius. The uncensored comedy with Sunny Fox is great. I believe that is XM150

Chili-Palmer ]

They have already decided, as of now, its gonna be called Sirius-XM. This is until they launch another satellite in about 10 to 12 years.

I also heard that for $4 more you can listen to some XM channels on your Sirius and vice versa.