Hall of Famer is mad about Madden

Football great Jim Brown suing EA, Sony

After years of barging over husky defenders on the gridiron, ex-Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown is attempting to tackle two serious video game heavyweights in court.

According to Bloomberg, Brown has filed suit against Sony Computer Entertainment America and Electronic Arts over using his likeness in the popular Madden football series. He seeks a court order preventing either company from continuing to use his likeness in the franchise as well as damages stemming from trademark violation.

At issue is the starting running back on Madden's "All Browns Team." The character is African-American and bears the same jersey number Brown made famous -- number 32. In the suit, Brown claims that he "never signed away any rights that would allow his likeness to be used."

He also mentions that unlike today's players, he was not given the option to negotiate terms during his NFL heyday.

"The NFL had league wide policy that players shall have no lawyers or agents when negotiating compensation," he said in the complaint. "Video games were not invented yet and no union to obtain rights from existed.''

EA and Sony have yet to comment on the matter.

Why would he sue Sony..!?

Does Sony own EA..!?

or am i missing something here..

In this instance i think he deserves it.. Unlike 50 cent or whoever it was that was sueing Taco Bell.

Chili-Palmer ]

After years of barging over husky defenders on the gridiron, ex-Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown is attempting to tackle two serious video game heavyweights in court.

According to Bloomberg, Brown has filed suit against Sony Computer Entertainment America and Electronic Arts over using his likeness in the popular Madden football series. He seeks a court order preventing either company from continuing to use his likeness in the franchise as well as damages stemming from trademark violation.

At issue is the starting running back on Madden's "All Browns Team." The character is African-American and bears the same jersey number Brown made famous -- number 32. In the suit, Brown claims that he "never signed away any rights that would allow his likeness to be used."

He also mentions that unlike today's players, he was not given the option to negotiate terms during his NFL heyday.

"The NFL had league wide policy that players shall have no lawyers or agents when negotiating compensation," he said in the complaint. "Video games were not invented yet and no union to obtain rights from existed.''

Does Sony own EA..!?

In this instance i think he deserves it.. Unlike 50 cent or whoever it was that was sueing Taco Bell.

that is a good question, maybe the team is only on the ps3 version, i got to check on that.

I think it's stupid. Unless they use his name DIRECTLY in the game, then he has no case. That's like playing old NBA games and there was an african-american players on the bulls with the number 23 named "Player". EA didn't do anything that specifically stated HIS name (unless it's in the game).

As far as Sony.. wtf?

What a joke!! Did he feel that the players 92 rating in breaking tackles was too much like his rating or maybe his catch rating was too similar? He deserves nothing!! I think all players who try to capitalize on their "trademark" birth name are jokes.

B-O-O-H-O-O Jim Brown, go eff yourself for trying to scam a few bucks cause you think some african american video game character is too much like you. Youre a joke sir

Shadowboxin7 ]

What a joke!! Did he feel that the players 92 rating in breaking tackles was too much like his rating or maybe his catch rating was too similar? He deserves nothing!! I think all players who try to capitalize on their "trademark" birth name are jokes.

B-O-O-H-O-O Jim Brown, go eff yourself for trying to scam a few bucks cause you think some african american video game character is too much like you. Youre a joke sir

NOT only is the character like him..

The character is wearing HIS jersey, HIS number, on the SAME team of the SAME years that he played.!? lol

Not to mention he was one of the greatest players EVER & got paid like $100 bucks a game to do it. ::)

Boohoo yourself, how would you like it if in ten years people got paid 1000 times what you get paid for your job.

(Lets just say you make $50,000 a year, & in ten years you cant do your job anymore.. but people that are doing your same job now get paid $5,000,000 or much more a year)

That would suck wouldn't it :P

Do the Yankees have their names on thier jerseys...?

Who else played for that team in that year with that number.!!??

If his number doesn't mean anything why do we retire numbers at all.!?

Also, lets put it this way if you playing MLB classic teams and you picked the 1927 or 1939 Yankees.

Who do you think is #3, or #4, or #5..?

You think Nobodies since their name isn't on the jersey..!?

Im not a yankee fan, but i would bet you would agree & wont think those numbers mean nothing.!

I'm not talking about names on jerseys. I'm talking about when you go to choose the actual character in the game but instead of having their name, it says "Player." That's what it did with Michael Jordan in the old NBA games. He didn't want his name in the game so instead of putting his name, they made his character but the name was Player.

I know the Yankees never have names on their jerseys, never have, never will, but if you go to choose a character in the game and it just says "Player" then there's nothing wrong with that. It may be there character to the t, but if it doesn't directly say their name, how can they be accused of adding him into a game without his consent?

Because it IS him.. only they are calling him "player".

NO ONE else wore that number, in that year, on that team. PERIOD.!

So it is him.!

It doesn't really matter because the way our judicial system works nothing justified will happen. lol

The argument with Michael Jordan does not hold water in my opinion. It is much like MLB the Show 2006 when Barry Bonds was no longer affiliated with the player's union. They made a player named Reggie Stocker who was black, #25 and played Left Field for the Giants. This coincides with the likes of the Michael Jordan incident. IMO the difference is that in both Michael Jordan and Barry Bonds cases, the player was modern, had not retired, thus there numbers are not technically (as far as record books and retired numbers go) directly linked to them. In the Jim Brown case, the #32 on the Cleveland Browns will be forever linked to Jim Brown because it is his retired number, nobody else will ever wear that number.

Furthermore Chili, I can't say I agree with your argument because if it is the All Browns Team, it is not referring to a single year, in which a single person wore that number, it is referring to the best players of Browns history. This leads me to believe even more that it has to do with the fact that the #32 on the Brown's team matches Jim Brown's retired number.

I hope he gets a settlement out of this. I think it should be investigated in the future for Madden to do things like MLB the Show has done and get the legends consent to actually use their true names and numbers.

Chili-Palmer ]

Does Sony own EA..!?

It's no big deal. He should be happy that he is on the game, most players don't even get put on there or get there stats boosted. they could of made him like that one weak rb from pittsbugh j bettis. who knows people need to stop being greedy and dumb over nothing.