PS3 Yellow Light Of Death HOME FIX!!!!!

I cannot believe it at all!!! I did tried the "Reflow technique" and it worked!!!!!! If you have any kind of technical skill, access to a heat gun or paint stripper, do this! The Thermo paste cost $6 at Radio Shack.

This saved me $150!

2 part video on YOUTUBE.

Now I cross my fingers in hope it keeps working.

IRISH BULL ]

Holy crap! I would never feel comfortable enough to break my PS3 down that much. I personally would do a hell of a lot better paying the $150. Or, paying $399 for a new one.

LOL I know, but it was not that bad. Every time I took a piece out I set it aside with it screws. Took me about 30 minutes to take a part, and then 10 to put back together. I watched the video and had a good idea what to do.

It's great to have a lot of that copyright stuff back!!!

FYI.. if you try and fix this yourself.. Sony will not except the unit. So if you try and fix yourself.. you are infact sealing the deal that your now the fixer. I called Sony 2 times this morning to ask questions.. you might ask why i called 2 times? Well the first lady told me that today was the last day i could send in my 60gb model. She claimed that Sony had not been making them for a while and that they were not fixing them anymore either due to lack of 60gb parts. I couldnt believe what she was saying.. i infact talked a bunch of shit and was like "WTF lady.. this is less then 2 years old and you wont fix it?? Not to mention this is the model that crashes the most.. $600 down the tube is what your saying then?" her response was.. " not if you send it in today!!"

I called back and talked to another person and he assured me that it was the Warranty service was up.. being that the 60gb models have long left store shelves.. that it was virtually impossible to have a valid warranty (12 months from purchase) So im still unsure if i want to do this or not.. however my 60 has been in a box for about 12 months now w/ call of duty 4 in it and an active system that could be used by one of my friends for game shares... anyways i just wanted to share my "lovely" morning on the phone w/ Sony after reading this post and considering to do it.

inadub ]

FYI.. if you try and fix this yourself.. Sony will not except the unit. So if you try and fix yourself.. you are infact sealing the deal that your now the fixer. I called Sony 2 times this morning to ask questions.. you might ask why i called 2 times? Well the first lady told me that today was the last day i could send in my 60gb model. She claimed that Sony had not been making them for a while and that they were not fixing them anymore either due to lack of 60gb parts. I couldnt believe what she was saying.. i infact talked a bunch of shit and was like "WTF lady.. this is less then 2 years old and you wont fix it?? Not to mention this is the model that crashes the most.. $600 down the tube is what your saying then?" her response was.. " not if you send it in today!!"

I called back and talked to another person and he assured me that it was the Warranty service was up.. being that the 60gb models have long left store shelves.. that it was virtually impossible to have a valid warranty (12 months from purchase) So im still unsure if i want to do this or not.. however my 60 has been in a box for about 12 months now w/ call of duty 4 in it and an active system that could be used by one of my friends for game shares... anyways i just wanted to share my "lovely" morning on the phone w/ Sony after reading this post and considering to do it.

So if we have the original 60gb and we get the YLOD, we're up shit's creek without a paddle.

yea this solution does work if you YLOD is being caused by your mother board but also another common cause of it is the silver power supply which cannot be fixed only replaced and sony refuses just to sell that part but there easy to get off ebay..any way i did not know today was the last day but o well untill i get a heat gun my 600 system is gonna sit in the closet

Well Irish, i talked to 2 different reps.. and the first claimed that yea if you dont send it in today , your screwed.. so being pissed and not believing that i called Sony again and the next rep informed me that they had in fact just had a meeting regarding the 60gb model and its warranty status.. however it was to inform the reps that its virtually impossible to have a store bought 60gb w/a warranty and receipt still w/in the last 12 months. He claims that they basically wont fix it "under warranty". So you can send it in but it will cost the $149 to do so. At least that is what the second rep said, he just figured the first rep misunderstood.. or that i misunderstood the rep.. but then i told him the specific questions and answers i gave and got.. and he laughed and assured me they would still fix.. just not under warranty.

The customer service at SONY is bad. I was screaming at them when I got the YLOD. I told them I bought a new PS3, and wanted my old system de-activated. I argued with them for hours, talked to 4 people and they would not de-activate that system until I sent it in for $150. Even though I bought close to $1,000 in material and could not use it, they would not budge.

The answer i got today was no. If the seal is cracked.. they dont want it. Its considered Modded. I told them Modded was when you alter or modify something.. and i was told opening case was a good way for them not to accept it. So not sure what the truth is... i was also told today if i had receipts to prove faulty PS3s.. they would remove activations too... the second rep just laughed when i asked...

inadub ]

The answer i got today was no. If the seal is cracked.. they dont want it.

From a business standpoint, that is the ONLY way to handle things of this nature. Of course there are workarounds business's can use, but on a worldwide scale like sony, I wouldn't touch it either.

In my industry, a large percentage of "warranty" claims are improper installation. You ALWAYS check plump, level, square first on a warranty or repair job. Let's I show up to a homeowners house to look at windows that don't operate properly. If I just started tinkering without checking, I now own it. No matter what I do to fix it(assuming I still didn't know it was out of square), it will never work right. Then the HO says, well it worked better before I came. Now they want me to fix it for free, and get pissy about it. I can't blame HO's for that, I would want the same thing in my brand new house, and not some patch job. Now I have to keep fixing it every time it happens within the 1yr warranty on labor we do. Or do a full re-install at cost to me. If I check first, I can let them know immediately, it not a warranty problem and check with who installed it. Let them know I can fix it, but to do it properly I have to rip out the window and try to re-install it, assuming it comes out in one piece. Or I can scab it together for them with no warranty on my labor, and it usually voids the manufacturer's warranty.

Now if it's one of my Pro customers who installed it, it gets a whole lot stickier. ;)