PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

500x_psnerror.jpg

All around the world, PlayStation 3 consoles simply aren't working like they're supposed to, with a PlayStation Network error preventing people from not just going online, but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.

From Europe to the Americas to, well, my house in Australia, users (mostly of older "Fat" consoles, those released before 2009's "PS3 Slim") are complaining that upon booting their consoles up, they're unable to sign into their accounts, check their trophies, use dynamic themes or access the PlayStation Network. That's fine, Sony say there are PSN connection problems, and that they are "looking into it".

Problem is, the error does more than just prevent you from going online. It prevents you from playing certain games offline as well. The screen above is what I was greeted with when attempting to play Heavy Rain, and pressing out of it simply reboots the PS3, returning you to the main menu screen. It's the same story for other games that feature dynamic trophy support.

Sony say "stay tuned" for updates on the problem. In turn, we'll update if we hear anything more.

While theories abound that this has something to do with the calendar (some users are reporting their date/time settings have been reset), bear in mind Sony has redesigned its PlayStation website over the weekend, so it's likely the result of some tinkering under the hood for the PlayStation Network.

Whichever it is, though, you have to wonder at the design process that turns a network outage into something stopping you from playing an offline, singleplayer title.

Source: Kotaku.com

my brother and Co leader cant get on either, but I can ;D I have a slim, I'll go check my fatty ps3.

I don't know if it means anything but the playstation website just got updated to another new look, no more black n red, lol. They could be shutting down servers systematically and doing some background website/upgrades...yeah that sounded good, ;D SUX though, Sony coulda warned us.

DevilJack33 ]

Good stuff!!! Irish

Like the Operation Ivy Avatar.

Thanks, gotta love Operation Ivy. I wish I could have seen them live, but I was a little young. lol

BTW, according to the Playstation.com forums, the theroy is this error was caused by the internal clock and Feb.28th-Feb.29th. If this is the issue, why didn't it happen last year?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/What-Sony-doesn-t-want-you-to-know-about-8001050F-Secrets-of/td-p/45315814

Irish I 100% agree. There are posters saying that it is an internal clock blah blah blah...

I have had my 20GB since launch, why hasn't this happened before?

I have a feeling it has to do with all the updates over the weekend for the PSN. Even their forums are VERY slow and not 100% functioning.

BTW my 20GB was on fine last night.

Here is the explanation, though I'm a math idiot so I don't understand what the hell it means.

2009 and 2007 would not be leap years. Even if Sony devs had the wrong algorithm 2007 and 2009 are not divisble by 2 or 4. 2010 however is and 2008 was a leap year - Friday Feb 29th 2008.

IF the date issue is correct then it is feasible that it could be divisible by 4 issue because the PS3 was launched in late 2006. So IF it were to happen it would have happened in 2006.

NOW if that is the case then WHY wouldn't they have not seen it during development? The PSN and PS3 were being tested in Feb 2006, I GUARANTEE THAT! So why wouldn't they have had that issue then? Granted there are firmware upgrades but according to them it is not a firmware issue that it is an internal clock that is not affected by firmware or OS.

I don't know what the answer is but that answer doesn't make sense. Yes the clock is resetting on some but that could be just a side affect. Also WHY would this be happening to specific models. Yes the slim has a little different hardware but for the most part that internal clock would be the SAME! It is the SAME concept for timing and would be the SAME firmware for that clock.

MOST IMPORTANT PART:

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

Tool_Minion ]

MOST IMPORTANT PART:

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

Right?!! I just mentioned that on the PS forums. I mean, they are actaully telling people NOT to use their system. I think there is more to this issue than they are telling us.

I manually set my time, which fixes NetFlix. Then I threw in MW2 to see what the fuss is about. I downloaded an update, then MW2 quit because it couldn't find trophy data. Sure enough, I can't even play single player. I tried MLB09 and Demon's Souls. Same thing. Screw trophies, I could care less. This is fucking bullshit, and it's the future of DRM.

IRISH BULL ]
Tool_Minion ]

MOST IMPORTANT PART:

Right?!! I just mentioned that on the PS forums. I mean, they are actaully telling people NOT to use their system. I think there is more to this issue than they are telling us.

IMO, its a precautionary measure in the instance that they CAN'T repair the issue via an update. They are trying to minimize the damage to ensure less people are effected if they were to have to issue a recall.

I say screw em, use it if you can! If you end up busted, be sure they will take care of it!

Just as a reminder IF they for whatever reason have to do a recall ANYTHING saved on that HDD will be lost. You may want to backup anything that you feel is valuable.

I wonder if they are still so unsure of what is going on that they posted that? You know all this started around the same time Cindy Crosby scored that goal.... IT IS ALL HER FAULT! Now I hate her that much more!

Tool_Minion ]
IRISH BULL ]
Tool_Minion ]

MOST IMPORTANT PART:

Right?!! I just mentioned that on the PS forums. I mean, they are actually telling people NOT to use their system. I think there is more to this issue than they are telling us.

IMO, its a precautionary measure in the instance that they CAN'T repair the issue via an update. They are trying to minimize the damage to ensure less people are effected if they were to have to issue a recall.

I say screw em, use it if you can! If you end up busted, be sure they will take care of it!

Now I'm being sincere when I ask this, what is the difference between this and the YLOD? I mean, the YLOD is caused by a hardware problem that they installed, right? It isn't caused by anything that the user did wrong.

So with that being said, don't you forsee, if there is some sort of "recall", its coming out of the consumers pocket? Basically they would come out and say, if you have model's blah blah through blah blah, for $150, plus shipping cost, we will replace your system.

Cause I always thought it was complete bullshit that they charged one cent for the YLOD. IT WAS THEIR FAULT!!! Have you ever received a recall notice about some part on a car?? DO they charge you for the repairs??? No , they don't. You bring it in, and they fix their fuck up free of charge.

Sony should have to do the same damn thing. But they won't. I have no problem paying the shipping cost to get it there and back, but that's it. I have no problem with that at all. Expecting them to pay it, would be like expecting the dealership to pay for my gas there and back.

But its a big corporation, and they have you by the short hairs. And there ain't a God damn thing you can do about it. Hell, Slant 6 got away with (IMO) a crime with Confrontation.

Its gonna be VERY interesting to see how this whole thing pans out. Very interesting indeed.