Led Zeppelin NOT comfortable with Rock Band, Guitar Hero

Led Zeppelin Uncomfortable With Licensing Songs To Rock Band, Guitar Hero

There's little doubt that the artist line-up for Rock Band 2 is shaping up nicely. Guitar Hero is getting some nice exclusives as well. With Journey, Boston, Metallica, The Who and other top tier acts lending their tunes to the dominant rhythm games, there aren't many superstars left to cross off the list.

One of the artists that continues to elude both Activision and Harmonix is Led Zeppelin. It's been chalked up to a lengthy licensing process, but a recent write-up from the Wall Street Journal helps shed more light on the British band's absence.

According to their management, the band isn't "comfortable" giving up access to its master tapes, the very thing required to edit these things down to Rock Band and Guitar Hero ready formats.

"It ain't about the money," says Peter Mensch of Q Prime Management who handles Led Zep's interests.

In better news, the Wall Street Journal writes that hold outs like Van Halen, Steely Dan and Guns N' Roses all have "deals of varying types in the works" to bring more of their music to gamers. In far, far worse news, so are the Eagles.

Chili-Palmer ]

According to their management, the band isn't "comfortable" giving up access to its master tapes, the very thing required to edit these things down to Rock Band and Guitar Hero ready formats.

why cant they just make a copy of the master tapes the they can do what they need to do with them and zep. still has a copy of the master tapes.

It would be the shit if I could play misty mountain hop or the immigrant song on Rock band.

Cynical2U ]
Chili-Palmer ]

why cant they just make a copy of the master tapes the they can do what they need to do with them and zep. still has a copy of the master tapes.

It would be the shit if I could play misty mountain hop or the immigrant song on Rock band.

They worried that the master tapes will be taken and used for other reasons. Imagine owning a website, one of the most popular websites around, and a company comes to you asking if they can use your source codes or your mysql databases for the benefit of others. That would make you feel uncomfortable. Others have the source of your success. And Harmonix/Activision can't try to do their own things because all their tracks are copyrighted. Without the master tracks and permission, there's nothing they can do.

-ChurcH- ]
Cynical2U ]
Chili-Palmer ]

They worried that the master tapes will be taken and used for other reasons. Imagine owning a website, one of the most popular websites around, and a company comes to you asking if they can use your source codes or your mysql databases for the benefit of others. That would make you feel uncomfortable. Others have the source of your success. And Harmonix/Activision can't try to do their own things because all their tracks are copyrighted. Without the master tracks and permission, there's nothing they can do.

Thanks Church I didn't even think of it like that..

Good. Learn the real stuff kids!

I play guitar myself and I also get a lot of enjoyment out of playing rock band/guitar hero. they are fun games. I just finshed learning Stricken by disturbed in like 20 mins.