Wanna play Halo? You against my botnet.

Wanna play Halo?

You might wanna rethink Xbox's claim of delivering a anti-cheat environment.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/02/botnets-beat-sp.html

Yeah they use something like DNS amplification to do their DDoS (Denial of Service) extortion. They even bypass the recursive queries, basically they send a small amount of data to a name server which tells the server to send a shitload of data to the target IP. Your system more or less overloads..

They can spoof the source and insert the target IP without even being detected.

Unfortunately since this isn't a virus there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Its up to the ISP's to enforce stricter DNS server operator security.

Rich little basterd's with no principals are actually using this in online games.. unbelievable!!! This technique is a felony, yet the chance of getting caught is basically zero. So the brat deploys his botnet and crashes your system... Seems for every one honest player there are ten that have no bounds to the level of dishonesty they will go.

Wow.. like i always say though.. "if it can be written.. it can be unwritten.." meaning.. code is great and horrible at the same time. It only takes one disgruntled ex employee to ruin things for all.... in some cases it just needs to be a smart programmer that can get his hands on the source code.. it disgusts me.. really no way to beat it..

It doesn't just kick you offline from Xbox it knocks your internet connection out for a while!

Again I thought this was illegal too. Not only the DDoS but in order to have a packet sniffer you were obligated to register it with the FBI. Now that there are software versions I wonder where that leaves us.

Yes!!

Denial of service attacks are illegal in the US under 12 different statutes, including the Economic Espionage Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

its not a question of it being a crime.. its a federal crime and a felony at that. That these idiots are committing a federal felony in order to cheat in a video game or simply to get a "take that sucker" smug laugh out of it is the point I was making in posting this. The sheer stupidity of it is beyond words. Why then do they do it?

For one.. obviously they are immature retards. Either they don't know its illegal (ignorance of the law is not an excuse) or else they don't care. Also they must have deep pockets (or at least Dad's deep pockets) to do it. Cost is around $2 a peg and it takes about 60 pegs for one IP DDoS... yep around a $120 a pop. And I won't even mention the money goes to some third world country company that now has Dad's credit card info.

But the main factor its being done isn't the illegality of it.. its because they can get away with it. For now it seems to be impossible to tag anyone doing it and prove their guilt. Their real source IP is hiding within a horde of spoof'd IP's many of which belong to unsuspecting unknowing people. The feds aren't bothering to put resources towards finding a way to catch anyone. They have far more things to worry about then the security of a video game. But given just how pinheaded these kids must be.. sooner or later they are going to cross the line. Interfere with the wrong DNS server shut down a network that draws some attention and give the feds the thought that maybe they better do something before this bites us in the arse.

When that happens, just like the early days of the internet when federal officers showed up at Jhonny's house and pulled the little basterd out of his bedroom for hacking into the wrong place.. so too will daddy's little brat face the music for misuse of a game console. Unfortunately for now it looks like the feds could care less.

SHANE23 ]

Not only the DDoS but in order to have a packet sniffer you were obligated to register it with the FBI.

I have used software packet sniffers on occasion at my job and I have never heard of this. I mean "packet sniffing" can vary depending on your definition but this would be the first I have heard of this.

Also DDoS means "Distributed Denial of Service" thus the "bot net"