CDBS14 ]

SONY only bans your name' date=' you just make another another account.

[/quote']

On PS2 they banned your name and your disc, but the disc ban was only 24hrs. I know a few cheaters from back in the day and they filled me in on everything, from cheating to ranking up. I always asked why they all did it and its always the same answer, " I want to have high rank " so stupid, rank doesn't even matter.

CDBS14 ]

SONY only bans your name' date=' you just make another another account.

[/quote']

No, they can. I don't know if they would go that route for cheating, but they can prevent an entire PS3 from ever getting online. It was brought up because of Home. That place can be very dangerous for young kids if you have some pedophile trolling for victims. The Lori Drew incident is a good example of them having to police their network.

Here is the article I found about them banning your PS3 from getting online.

Home boss discusses bannings and branding for mature users

Peter Edward, director of the Home platform for Sony, has told an audience at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival that users who consistently abuse the upcoming Home service face having their machines banned and disabled from being used online.

In an admittedly radical but possible step, Edward noted that a serious abuser would "have to move house and buy a new PS3 before they could get online again."

Edward was discussing supervising the Home environment, although Sony doesn't intend to become a "virtual police" force. Instead, it will be providing different areas within Home depending on the age of the user, helping to apply appropriate non-game branding for products such as cigarettes and alcohol.

"Ultimately we know a users details, we know machine details and we know where they live," said Edward

"If you really feel like you've been abused or that someone has just shown wholly inappropriate behaviour then you are able to complain about it. If you really, really misbehave you can have your console disconnected at a machine level, so you would actually have to move house and buy a new PS3 before you could get online again.

"Clearly that's not something we would want to be doing very often but as a disincentive to mess round too much it's in our power," he admitted.

Rather, Sony expects players to police themselves and other users, taking advantage of various methods for blocking communication with any users that are disruptive.

"It's a hard line to draw because we don't want to be walking around telling everyone off for saying 'bloody' so we've got to strike a balance there," said Edward.

"We're going to be relying on users assessing what's appropriate to them – if they've been subject to behaviour they don't like they can complain about it rather than we walk around as virtual police."

With a presentation featuring potential branding from Durex, Marlboro and Bacardi, Edward said that it's not Sony's intention to offer a sanitised experience, and that more mature gamers can expect to see the same products advertised online as in the real world.

"It's relatively simple to be confident that somebody is over 18. So it's no problem to have areas that are only open to those aged 18 years' and over. We are able to do that quite comprehensively, we have access to the log-in data that they use for the PlayStation Network," offered Edward.

"Undoubtedly there are going to be some things and some brands that we are not going to want to be involved in the environment at any stage.

"But a large proportion of our demographic is over 18 so we will make a point of catering to that demographic – we certainly don't want to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator," he said.

Well good then. Nice find Irish. Hopefully with this in mind people will do their part and report cheaters when they see them. Cuz if this is the case than it can be stopped for once, cuz I dont know about you but If I was one of these people I wouldn't want to have to spend that kinda money all over again.

CDBS14 ]

well someone in my clan made an account named I_GOT_TOUCHED_bY-SANTA for HOME' date=' he was banned, all he did was delete that user and then he just went on his next account.

[/quote']

Right but names get banned all the time for being racial, or just down right inapropriate, thats different than exploiting a game. I know plenty of guys who have had names banned, thats a different story.

This only shows Stage one, it always begins with something trivial.. an automatic pistol in this case.. but it always leads to more.. Its nothing we didn’t already know.. it was only a matter of time before the cheaters found a way.. from here it just gets worst eventually a code disk.. or in this case more likely a code flash drive? And before you know it, cheaters are flying across the map or getting kills with a single shot from a pistol from a mile away.

It doesn’t change anything for us, like was said- this is the whole reason we are all here at UF in the first place.. cheaters will cheat.. they always do. They don’t know how to play any other way..

At least in this case, for once we have the last laugh.. Socom I - didn’t last long enough to see the Cheaters spoil it for good, they did however manage to completely trash Socom II and they were abundant in Socom III/CA. I’m sure they often got a laugh out of managing to ruin and fuk up Socom for the honest players.. this time however.. the jokes on them..

Socom is already ruined and fuk’d ……………… Slant Six took care of that.

Sony isn't going to ban anyone from playing online, for the same reason that they don't require a certain badnwidth requirement for people to play online to help with the lag issues.

It will cut people out and cost them money when those people don't buy their game. As far as Sony is concerned, if there is a glitcher in your room, find another room.

Disciple74 ]

The best part is they showed every one of those kids psn names. With the things sony can do now. Can you smell the IP ban just coming within days. I say have a nice break from online gaming. :-*

You honestly think Sony is going to do anything about it?

And Sony is going to base adds in Home on the users age? Cause the kids wont lie about their age.

I would think the ps3 its self has an ID, just zap/ban the network adapter....

I would think if it costs them $400 everytime they get caught or reported, they would stop.

And the risk alone of cheating just once, could cost you $400 for a new system... I bet that would take care of most of it...

I think until they are charging us for the online service, its just something we'll have to deal with, most of us don't even associate with anyone that does this bs anyway... I know if we even see anything funny - ya get the boot in a [DEA] room... we do not tolorate any cheating/glitching or alround bs of anykind... there's too many straight up clans to play with.

I know the xbox360 is near impossible to cheat on, so I think its just a matter of paying employees to keep up with the nonsence, thats all... but at the same time if we are paying we will expect it so they don't want to open that can of worms... I guess... sucks for us....but we keep buying the game, and add on's because we're junkies... ;)

Deja-Voodoo- ]

I would think the ps3 its self has an ID, just zap/ban the network adapter....

That's the ticket. The PS3 NIC has a unique MAC address (AKA hardware address) that (in theory) could be used to ban/blacklist the machine, instead of banning the machine's IP address.

Edit: This assumes that there's not currently a way to spoof the PS3's hardware address. If such a way exists, all bets are off.