six days in fallujah

War, for Konami, has changed again. The publisher is heading back to the Middle East with Six Days in Fallujah, a new, documentary-style video game set in the Iraq War.

According to the Wall Street Journal's report on the Atomic Games developed title, Six Days in Fallujah will be a commentary-free game-amentary that deals with the complex issues of war and the difficult decisions one must make, all set against the replicated backdrop of the Second Battle of Fallujah.

While Atomic Games—responsible for titles like the Close Combat series—say for us, games are not just toys, the Konami marketing folks seem to see it slightly differently, telling the Journal At the end of the day, it's just a game.

We're not trying to make social commentary. We're not pro-war. We're not trying to make people feel uncomfortable. We just want to bring a compelling entertainment experience, Konami's VP of marketing, Anthony Crouts, tells the Wall Street Journal.

Atomic Games president Peter Tamte says to the Los Angeles Times that the developer's goal was to bring to Six Days in Fallujah the horrors of war in a game that is also entertaining. The team is reported to have consulted with some three dozen or so Iraq War vets who were in Fallujah.

Looks like the new issue of GamePro has additional details, should you be a subscriber.

Source: Kotaku.com

"Atomic Games president Peter Tamte says to the Los Angeles Times that the developer's goal was to bring to Six Days in Fallujah the horrors of war in a game that is also entertaining."

What a sick fuck IMO. Sounds like the guy is out to make some cash flow on the back of our vets. Unless there is some kind of extream recognition or donation (which there may be) to the people who gave him the "intell" about the hell they had been through- this guy, company and game can take another plane trip to gofuckyourself - I will buy a one way ticket for them but I will not buy the game.

Let me know if I am off base here.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

"Atomic Games president Peter Tamte says to the Los Angeles Times that the developer's goal was to bring to Six Days in Fallujah the horrors of war in a game that is also entertaining."

What a sick fuck IMO. Sounds like the guy is out to make some cash flow on the back of our vets. Unless there is some kind of extream recognition or donation (which there may be) to the people who gave him the "intell" about the hell they had been through- this guy, company and game can take another plane trip to gofuckyourself - I will buy a one way ticket for them but I will not buy the game.

Let me know if I am off base here.

you are not, thats why i posted this, one of the dumbest comments ever.

From what I've read, they have dozens of vets that were there giving them advice on how the game is made.

"Six Days in Fallujah is in development at Atomic Games in collaboration with "more than three dozen" Iraq War veteran US Marines and is set to release sometime next year on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC."

Jostiq Article

Its kind of a catch 22 if that is true. They will probably have to say that some of the proceeds from the game will go to injured vets, or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is gonna be a TPS with single and online play. With all of the tactical war shooters coming out that will be FPS, I was wondering if the SOCOM fans will get this for their TPS fix. Especially if its the only TPS out there.

Because it seems that most here at UF are very disappointed that most of the tactical war shooters upcoming are gonna be FPS only.

Vengeance ]

im interested in this game' date=' I dont see a problem with its subject material because theres 100's of WW2/Nam games out there. Look at COD WAW and how they portray death (it's entertaining) but someone goes and makes a modern war sim and they're sick?

[/quote']

Key word being modern there. I can see why Vets and soldiers still there would not want this game to be made. Essentially a corporation is cashing in on the bloodshed of our men in arms that is still happening right now.

Prane ]
Vengeance ]

I'm interested in this game' date=' I don't see a problem with its subject material because theres 100's of WW2/Nam games out there. Look at COD WAW and how they portray death (it's entertaining) but someone goes and makes a modern war sim and they're sick?

[/quote']

Key word being modern there. I can see why Vets and soldiers still there would not want this game to be made. Essentially a corporation is cashing in on the bloodshed of our men in arms that is still happening right now.

But basically its the title that is sensitive, right? I mean, come on. SOCOM:Confrontation takes place in the Middle East and so does CoD:MW. I don't know Arabic, but that language that is spoken in both of those games sounds a lot like it to me. Those games are loosely based off of the war in the Middle East.

Its just not so black and white, its very very gray.

But I read one article that made me think. It basically mentioned what would people think of a game about WWII be thought of in 1944.

I hear they are getting a lot of heat from a lot of different Veteran groups. They are claiming that its disrespectful to the ones that served in the operation, because the game is based on a true story. As an x-Army guy myself I like the idea. What better way to honor my fallen brothers? War is a reality we have to deal with and everyone knows someone thats been effected by our current situation. But you do have to walk that fine line because it is, and always will be, a very touchy subject.

On the other hand the game looks pretty good. But, we'll see. Shooters are a dime a dozen these days, and its hard to actually get a good one.

IRISH BULL ]

Well, so much for this game. Konami scrapped it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/27/report-amidst-protest-konami-abandons-six-days-in-fallujah/

the right thing to do, there is no way they will be able to compete against modern warfare 2 and some of the other shooters this year. Heck i heard bioshock2 is gonna have multiplayer.

I don't think the fact the game is fashioned after a real battle is the issue. It's that moronic statement about having players experience the horrors of war in a video game that was stupid. It was going to be a TPS so I was going to give it a try on that basis alone. They should have just made a game and not try to make political and anti war statements.

Too bad.

IRISH BULL ]

Well, so much for this game. Konami scrapped it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/27/report-amidst-protest-konami-abandons-six-days-in-fallujah/

The game developer is still continuing with the game. They are now shopping around for a different publisher.

Atomic Games To Continue With Six Days In Fallujah

28 Apr 2009 at 18:09:17 by Tamer Asfahani

President for Atomic Games, Peter Tamte, has said "[Atomic Games] were informed on Thursday night that Konami had decided to pull out of Six Days in Fallujah. This caught us by surprise. Development of the game had been progressing very well and on schedule. We would very much like the opportunity to complete the game."

We're hoping to speak to Atomic Games in more detail about the game, but until then we can rest assured they will be actively searching for a new publisher, despite coming under heavy criticism from the public.