Jeremy Mayfield and 2 others Suspended indefinetly!

Today, after being tested yesterday, Jeremy Mayfield and a couple crewmen from other teams were suspended indefinitely for violating the substance abuse policy. And when NASCAR says indefinitely they mean it. Just ask Kevin Grubb who shot himself this week after being suspended 3 years ago.

As soon as a story is posted up I'll try and post it.

Guest CplKoontz

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519634,00.html

NASCAR Sprint Cup Driver Jeremy Mayfield Suspended After Failing Drug Test

Saturday, May 09, 2009

* Print

* ShareThis

DARLINGTON, S.C. — NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield has been suspended indefinitely after failing a random drug test.

The result stems from a test last weekend at Richmond International Raceway.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter will not reveal what banned drug Mayfield used. Hunter said it was not an alcohol-related offense.

Mayfield failed to qualify for Saturday night's Sprint Cup race at Darlington Speedway.

He is driving this season in a car he owns himself. Although he raced it into the season-opening Daytona 500, he has failed to qualify for six of the 11 other Sprint Cup events this season.

Mayfield is the first driver suspended under NASCAR's improved substance abuse policy, which went into effect this season.

and this:

NASCAR officials announced Saturday Sprint Cup Series driver Jeremy Mayfield has failed a NASCAR-mandated drug test, along with two other crew members – one from the Cup Series and another in the Nationwide Series. All three have been suspended indefinitely by the sanctioning body.

The three individuals were tested last weekend at Richmond and all were chosen through the random process NASCAR has in place to test drivers and crew members each and every weekend. NASCAR has not released the substance these three individuals tested positive for.

According to Jim Hunter, Vice President of Corporate Communications for NASCAR, Mayfield failed two separate drug tests and as a result can not appeal the results of the test.

“There is just no place for substance abuse in our sport,†Hunter stated.

As an owner/driver in the Sprint Cup Series, Mayfield has been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR as both an owner and a driver. Hunter confirmed Mayfield’s car could enter races, but it would have to have a new owner.

“Jeremy is an owner and a driver, he is suspended indefinitely as both,†Hunter made clear. “His team could be operated by someone else, but Jeremy will not be allowed to participate.

Every weekend, four to eight drivers are tested by NASCAR for substance abuse and each have been tested at least and at this point in the season, some have been tested twice.

The crew members found in violation of the Substance Abuse Policy were Tony Martin, a crewman with the No. 34 Cup Series team, and Ben Williams, who works on the No. 16 Nationwide Series team.

Guest CplKoontz
Prane ]

Why is it the sport that is least affected by steriods has the toughest policy? Every other sport can take a lesson from NASCAR here as they know how to handle their stuff.

they havent released the actual drugs used, but why would a nascar driver use steroids? It could be weed also...?

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

this is what i like about nascar...no "second chances", no congressional hearings, no bullshit. you mess up, your done. i know a lot of people say that nascar is boring, its just a bunch of people going in circles. maybe some of the naysayers should take a look at what goes on behind the scenes. look at the drivers and what they do OFF the track. when is the last time you heard of a nascar driver getting in a shootout at a night club, or driving his personal vehicle drunk at 120 down a city street, or abusing his wife.

xPUDDYTATx ]

this is what i like about nascar...no "second chances", no congressional hearings, no bullshit. you mess up, your done. i know a lot of people say that nascar is boring, its just a bunch of people going in circles. maybe some of the naysayers should take a look at what goes on behind the scenes. look at the drivers and what they do OFF the track. when is the last time you heard of a nascar driver getting in a shootout at a night club, or driving his personal vehicle drunk at 120 down a city street, or abusing his wife.

The thing with NASCAR is that the stakes are so much higher that it precludes even discussion of second chances when it comes to substance abuse. There's no other sport where the lives of so many are put in jeopardy by someone potentially racing impaired or just not 100% there.

Prane ]

Why is it the sport that is least affected by steriods has the toughest policy? Every other sport can take a lesson from NASCAR here as they know how to handle their stuff.

Agreed.!!

Wish a lot of other places would stand firm & do what they say.!! (other sports, the gov, etc)

I'm sure it was probably just weed, he had to be bummed about not qualifying again & just said "fuck it" along with a few crew members.

So Mayfields statement is that it was a combination of 2 prescribed drugs caused the positive. uh....ya right.

I like/liked the guy. His win at Richmond, which he needed to win to get into the first "Chase" was very dramatic. Stories like that night, are just one of the many reasons to watch the sport. I hope, and I'm sure he's taking all the steps to get his point proven. I'm sure that two drugs, that are ok for him to be taking, were not foreseen by a nationally recognized forensic toxicologist to create a false positive. ;)

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

No it's not performance enhancing, it's more about someone driving under the influence.

It didn't say that. It could be. I could see some benefits to driving nascar with a couple different lower lever roids. Not even mentioning Coke/Meth and other uppers to help concentrate.

Of course it could be weed, but that is crazy to me. I highly doubt he'd be toking before a race and what they do on the weekend is thier business.

Guest CplKoontz

well i read a bou it some more in the paper i get in South Carolina..

they said it was not steroids, and it was not alcohol, thats it

but later in the paper it says he may be allowed back into nascar after following a program that Nascar will set up based on each driver..

so we will see what happens.