Acer One D150-1055 personal review

I just purchased an Acer One D150-1055 netbook.

CPU: 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270

RAM/Expandable to: 1GB/2GB

Hard Drive Size/Speed: 160GB/5,400 rpm

Display/Resolution: 10 inches/1024 x 600

Weight: 2.8 pounds

Price as Reviewed: $349.00 (Price I paid in Canada, I believe this price was American)

Just thought I'd do a little personal review on this little guy. First off, I own a gamer's desktop and a gamers laptop and I understand this netbook won't appeal to everyone. Now for a little background, I work 12 hour shifts as a Correctional Officer and when I work night shifts they just kill me. I hate them and they bore me completely, with the only break in monotony when I tour through the "ranges" trying not to notice the male on male "action". :-X

Many of my fellow Officers bring their personal DVD players to pass the time but from what I've seen, even the more expensive ones don't have the visual quality I've become accustomed to at home. I do have an iTouch which I've loaded countless movies and tv shows onto, but it's hard to hear when your partner is in the chair next to you snoring. (Headphones are a bad idea in a Prison!)

So when I heard about the netbooks that were coming out I became interested. I figured... why spend $250 on a personal dvd player when I get so much more for a $100 more. I did my research and I found the one that I wanted yesterday at Bestbuy. After a day of use, I'm extremely impressed with this little guy. Battery life is decent, I watched "Valkyrie" all the way through and had 10 minutes remaining on the battery. My model came with a 3 cell battery, but I purchased a 6 cell battery online which should give me 5 to 7 hours depending on usage!

It comes preloaded with Windows XP, one of Windows most stable operating systems to date and after removing most of the bloatware it came with, it's a speedy little demon! Boot up is less than 30 seconds, which even my Gaming computers have never achieved out of the box and shutdown time was less than 15 seconds. Ergonomically this Acer One is a little wanting, I have big hands and it shows when I type, but I think I've gotten the hang of it now. The touchpad is super small, and should only be used in a pinch. The right and left touchpad buttons are really tough to push so plugging a wireless mouse into one of three USB ports is highly recommended. The wireless is flawless, and much faster than my 5 year old Dell XPS laptop which has an external wireless card! :o This model does not have a dvd-drive, for obvious reasons, but if you are into movies, we live in a digital age and it's simple to load them on. I used my external 1TB drive and put my entire seasons of Seinfeld, Prison break and The Office... including 30-40 700MB movies on it. I have 3GB's of room left.

Additionally, I downloaded Skype to it and the webcam and mic work great! I have the $30 a year Skype plan that lets me call any land line or cellphone in North America. Should be interesting to see if I can Skype my Brazilian Friend in San Paulo Brazil from work. ;D

Anyway... I am extremely pleased with this netbook, the picture is crystal clear. It's not a everyday number cruncher by any means, but if you travel a lot or have a job like mine with down time than I highly recommend this product. I've probably left something crucial out, but just ask and I'll fill you in.

IMG00075.jpg

I have one of those babies that I use for school. It's just awesome for the fact that there's no need to carry around a heavy laptop or anything when you got the small little Acer that does everything the same, and does it very efficiently.

The only thing I can complain about with mine is the actual mouse buttons. It looks like yours are under the mouse touchpad, but the one I have, the buttons are on the left and right of the actual touchpad. It's a little weird to get used to and annoying but it doesn't take anything away from it.

I got mine on sale right before black friday on tigerdirect.com. Got it for like 150 or something of that sort.

Acer makes some badass little notebooks. I've had no problems with it at all.

BTW: Love the background Xanthe. Megan fox FTW!

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

The only thing I can complain about with mine is the actual mouse buttons. It looks like yours are under the mouse touchpad, but the one I have, the buttons are on the left and right of the actual touchpad. It's a little weird to get used to and annoying but it doesn't take anything away from it.

I agree, the touchpad is a bit unusable, and the touchpad buttons are hard as hell to depress. I do wish there was a better way to turn the sound up and down beyond pressing "alt" and the up and down arrow key, having a manual volume control is a smart thing in my opinion. But beyond those minor irritations, it's a kick butt little unit and I'm super glad I bought it! The 160 gig hardrive was the real deal sealer for me! ;D

For a 10" screen, the $350.00 price tag seems to be about average.

I just purchased a refurbed' Acer netbook with matching specs, except with a 8.9" screen for 229.99.

If you're in the market for one of these, and don't mind a non-new unit, keep a close eye on compusa.com, buy.com, tiger direct and zipzoomfly.com (last site is off memory, google it if need be). I've been monitoring prices for one of these for the past month or so, and lately you can get one for ~200.00 with the specs listed above.

I ended up purchasing mine from E-Bay, mainly because all of the sites I mentioned do not honor the free/reduced shipping cost offered to Alaska.

• Directors

Just to chime in...

We sell these laptops and they are great... for those that are looking to replace a pc, acer has some breat 17" + models that are starting around $799 and these screens are 1080p hd...

Acer really does have some great products out there.

Xanthe ]
willywonka159 ]

Ewww your desktop picture is ugly.

:P

I never would've guessed you swung that way Willy! ???

He was trying to frisk me tonight on socom when I was standing by a wall several times tonight. ;):D

Also this will not be to replace my Desktop, just a laptop. I'm also looking at a Dell Mini or something else inexpensive, which won't take up a lot of room in luggage (I usually bring my PS3 with when I go out of town, so I don't have the luxury of a computer bag with only 2 bag carry on limit).