Man sues Sony for being banned from PSN

The online gaming community can sometimes be a bit harsh, and one PlayStation 3 owner was apparently a bit too excessive for Sony’s liking. The player was banned from the PlayStation Network for his behavior while playing Resistance: Fall of Man and now he is fighting back with a lawsuit against Sony.

Erik Estavillo of San Jose, California believes the ban goes against his First Amendment rights. In court documents acquired by GamePolitics, The UCLA alumni is said to suffer from panic disorder, depression, Crohn’s disease, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Estavillo’s ban has caused him “pain and suffering†because the PS3 is “the only way the plaintiff can truly socialize since he also suffers from Agoraphobia.†The documents reveal that he is seeking $55,000 from Sony for his pain and suffering.

He is also accusing Sony of stealing money from users by blocking access to PSN cash acquired through PSN Redeem Cards once a user is banned from the network. Of course, Sony’s PSN user agreement clearly outlines that if your account is terminated for any reason, you will not get any kind of refund.

It will be interesting to see how this case plays out. Do you think Estavillo has a case against Sony given his medical conditions?

http://www.psu.com/PS3-owner-sues-Sony-after-being-banned-from-PSN-News--a007794-p0.php

I vote No. It doesn't really say what he did to get banned but I don't think Sony should be accountable for breaking his 1st amendment rights. He obviously has issues and Sony doesn't do background checks on every PS3 owner so if someone breaks a rule or does something to get banned everyone is treated equally. I think this guy is trying to get some easy money.

He wouldn't show up for the court case anyway...he's agoraphobic

Its amazing at the kind of lawsuits being thrown around now. Seems like anyone will sue for anything. If this guy wins, it will just open the doors for everyone and their grandma to sue Sony. Besides, him being banned doesn't mean he can't create a new account and get back online. It also doesn't mean that he's banned from other networking things such as a PC, a phone, etc. He could have gone online using other methods to get his "virtual interaction" fix.

dillemma_ ]

I vote No. It doesn't really say what he did to get banned but I don't think Sony should be accountable for breaking his 1st amendment rights. He obviously has issues and Sony doesn't do background checks on every PS3 owner so if someone breaks a rule or does something to get banned everyone is treated equally. I think this guy is trying to get some easy money.

lmao thats a good point. Does it really matter at all that he filed suit if he won't show up to court? I'd imagine his lawyer would want to settle and I hope Sony's lawyers say fuck you we'll see you in court.

dillemma_ ]

Well put, my man! ~ lmfao

1st amendment rights?!?!?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me!? Hahaha!!! Oh, man... I love when retards like that hide behind our constitution. This is a perfect example of what's wrong with America today. This will be thrown out as this guy has no idea what the 1st amendment is about. Jesus Christ! ::)