Sound System

Ok I know there was a post about this in the past but I can't find it and things have changed. I am looking for a great surround sound system for around 1500 bucks. I have a small room that is like 15x15. I have speakers but I think I need to improve them because the ones I have are very old. So this is what I want suggestions on.

• Receiver - What brand and isn't there some difference in whether the sound goes through the HDMI?
  • Speakers - What is a fairly good brand and should I go wired or wireless? How many watts should I go with?
  • Pointers - What other pointers or opinions do you have anything and everything
  • User Friendly - Needs to be somewhat user friendly so I can set it up and still have time at the end of the day to play lol

Hannibal. ]

What exactly does the 6.1 or 7.1 mean?

6.1 and 7.1 and 5.1 are the amount of channels.

For example a 5.1 has a center channel, two front channels, two rear channels, and a sub woofer.

a 7.1 is the same except it has two extra side channels.

I have a 1,200 watt onkyo 7.1 system and it rumbles plenty good. :D

Ok here is the basic setup of my living room. Don't mind the mess because I have been reorganizing so I can improve my home entertainment. Here are 3 pictures that will basically give you the layout of my space. As you can see I don't have that much room and it will be hard to get that true surround sound I am looking for unless you guys have something that isn't too expensive

This picture is shows that I basically have 3 walls to work with. On the right side of the picture is the entrance into my apartment and it is about 4 foot.

anglea.jpg

This was taken from the TV and there is about 8 foot between the TV and the couch.

TVa.jpg

This picture shows the view from the doorway where I could possibly mount a speaker for the back sound.

doorwaya.jpg

So how is the best way to go about doing this? I would like to have a great system that allows surround sound to sound like you are immersed in the movie/game.

Hell yeah, some fellow Onkyo owners. I bought a 1200 Watt 7.1 Onkyo system at Circuit City Black Friday nearly 2 years ago (It was list price $899, I paid $399). It's just unbelievable. I love watching BluRay movies on it, that baby rumbles goooood. I'll take some pictures of my setup for you Hanni.

Chili-Palmer ]

1st thing i thought of.. lol

Operation Ivy - Sound System

Hells yea! I gotta add those guys to my playlist. That was one of the first bands that got me into punk. I think I was about 14 or 15 whe I first heard those guys.

On the OP subject: If a any of your speakers go out on your system, can you just replace it with any brand of speaker? Or does it all have to match?

Hanni, for that smal lof a room, you can get away with a 5.1 that will pound in there. Of course if you plan on getting a bigger place then you may want the 7.1 and just not crank it way up in there. Since it's an apartment, head to Home Crapo and get some wire molding that will cover up the wires. It just attaches with tack nails, so very minor patches when you move out. They have a wire molding that is smaller made specifically to hide speaker wire.

This for an apartment? I did not know that. If you buy a system like this you are going to have to turn everything way down especially the sub. If not people 3 or 4 apartments away will know exactly what your watching. I have this system and it absolutely hits movies and games are incredible.

HT-S7100-B-F.jpg

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S7100&class=Systems&p=i

Also another thing I like about Onkyo Theater in a box package is it comes with a little microphone. You plug this microphone in and the receiver automatically goes into setup mode. You place this microphone at 3 different listening zones in your room and push enter on the remote at each one. At each location you put the microphone it sends a test signal from each speaker including the sub. Once you have measured all three locations the receiver automatically calculates the measurements of your room and adjust levels and acoustics for optimum performance it really couldn't be easier.

Honestly the onkyo system I have I couldn't be happier with and it costs a shit ton less than Bose. You could get a kick ass system for half the money of what you are thinking of paying. My father in law bought an expensive bose system and I watched him kick himself in the ass all the way down the drive way leaving my house after watching a movie. HAHA good times.

Crusty_Demons ]

Also another thing I like about Onkyo Theater in a box package is it comes with a little microphone. You plug this microphone in and the receiver automatically goes into setup mode. You place this microphone at 3 different listening zones in your room and push enter on the remote at each one. At each location you put the microphone it sends a test signal from each speaker including the sub. Once you have measured all three locations the receiver automatically calculates the measurements of your room and adjust levels and acoustics for optimum performance it really couldn't be easier.

Honestly the onkyo system I have I couldn't be happier with and it costs a shit ton less than Bose. You could get a kick ass system for half the money of what you are thinking of paying. My father in law bought an expensive bose system and I watched him kick himself in the ass all the way down the drive way leaving my house after watching a movie. HAHA good times.

That is awesome.!!

And yea especially these days, Bose has gone downhill.

Chili-Palmer ]
Crusty_Demons ]

That is awesome.!!

And yea especially these days, Bose has gone downhill.

Yeah and the sound it makes while it's doing that sounds sweet to me! It sounds like some type of space ship laser shooting lol

Onkyo started out as a company making phonograph pickups. They were to compete with Shure. Then amplifiers, Cassette players and later CD players and speakers. Their speakers are actually made by another company (probably now owned by Onkyo) which uses Micro Fiber and Onkyo sort of just slaps their name on them.

I’ve always liked Onkyo Receivers they tend to stay on top of new developments in THX, surround sound and DTS and incorporate the new certifications earlier then others. They failed in making better pickups then Shure though. Shure was and still is the best choice for pickups.

With packaged systems however you always get something good along with something not so good. In looking at the system linked. I like the components I don’t like the speakers. Sure the price is right but the quality simply isn’t there. Features like the microphone leveling have been around for a long time Harmon Kardon has had it for years. But back to the Onkyo speakers.. lets face it… if you were to talk speakers only Onkyo wouldn’t even be mentioned let alone in the top twenty or so.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that speakers and receivers nor any of the components for that matter have to match. Other than aesthetics or remote control crossovers.

So yes Onkyo Receivers receive a high grade, but Onkyo speakers? NOT. Before spending the money on a package.. shop around and see if you can’t put together your own package using several different manufacturers. If you buy it all at the same place chances are they are going to give you a package rate anyway and this way you get the best of what each piece of your system can be at your budget.

Goat ]

Onkyo started out as a company making phonograph pickups. They were to compete with Shure. Then amplifiers, Cassette players and later CD players and speakers. Their speakers are actually made by another company (probably now owned by Onkyo) which uses Micro Fiber and Onkyo sort of just slaps their name on them.

I’ve always liked Onkyo Receivers they tend to stay on top of new developments in THX, surround sound and DTS and incorporate the new certifications earlier then others. They failed in making better pickups then Shure though. Shure was and still is the best choice for pickups.

With packaged systems however you always get something good along with something not so good. In looking at the system linked. I like the components I don’t like the speakers. Sure the price is right but the quality simply isn’t there. Features like the microphone leveling have been around for a long time Harmon Kardon has had it for years. But back to the Onkyo speakers.. lets face it… if you were to talk speakers only Onkyo wouldn’t even be mentioned let alone in the top twenty or so.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that speakers and receivers nor any of the components for that matter have to match. Other than aesthetics or remote control crossovers.

So yes Onkyo Receivers receive a high grade, but Onkyo speakers? NOT. Before spending the money on a package.. shop around and see if you can’t put together your own package using several different manufacturers. If you buy it all at the same place chances are they are going to give you a package rate anyway and this way you get the best of what each piece of your system can be at your budget.

Your right Goat for the money he has to spend he definitely could get higher quality speakers. It would take some knowledge of what he is shopping for and some shopping around. Where with a theater in a box type system you go buy it plug it in and it works. It saves you the hassle of the shopping around etc.

It's really a preference and money thing I guess. He has $1,500 to spend and could get higher quality speakers but might not want to go through the hassle or have the knowledge to know what to shop for. I know for myself there are really on 3 speakers out of the package that I would care to upgrade and that's the front two speakers and the sub. I would like to replace the front two little speakers with tower big speakers for parties and the sub for the same reason. To be honest low quality compared to other manufacturers or not this system flat out fucking rocks I love to feel the couch shake as a fighter jet fly's across my tv in a movie. The most recent Bond movie that came out this system practically blew me out of my living room. It has a two year manufacturer warranty just make sure you keep the receipt.

Ok I purchased THIS package at Nebraska Furniture Mart and got a very good deal on it. I also purchased another HDTV Samsung 40" LCD that as also on sale. Took it home started to get it out and realized that my front speakers were not going to work very good so I went to Best buy the next day and was looking for stands to put them on.

So after 3 suggestions that they sales rep had and after each one he came up short on having them in stock. The 3rd suggestion for front speakers were for THIS speaker and I said I would take 2. He went to the back and came back with speakers that were clearly larger than the ones I just selected. He said well I have the deal of the week for you. He said they didn't have those speakers in stock and he felt bad for not coming through again so he said he would give me THESE for the same price as the others. I said lets do it.

So I spent quite a bit of time this evening putting it together but still have a lot of work to do. I have Direct TV coming this afternoon with 2 HD DVR's for living room and bedroom and a 3rd standard for the kids room. I only have the Subwoorfer, floors and center channels hooked up because I have to mount the other 4 speakers. My living room is a wreck but I decided to check out some sound with blue ray and played some socom online as well. Just those speakers hooked up are amazing and I also put up the samsung in the living room because the Vizio was just a little to big for the living room. Very impressed with the samsung and I think things will be very amazing when I get it all done this week.

Hannibal. ]

Ok I purchased THIS package at Nebraska Furniture Mart and got a very good deal on it. I also purchased another HDTV Samsung 40" LCD that as also on sale. Took it home started to get it out and realized that my front speakers were not going to work very good so I went to Best buy the next day and was looking for stands to put them on.

So after 3 suggestions that they sales rep had and after each one he came up short on having them in stock. The 3rd suggestion for front speakers were for THIS speaker and I said I would take 2. He went to the back and came back with speakers that were clearly larger than the ones I just selected. He said well I have the deal of the week for you. He said they didn't have those speakers in stock and he felt bad for not coming through again so he said he would give me THESE for the same price as the others. I said lets do it.

So I spent quite a bit of time this evening putting it together but still have a lot of work to do. I have Direct TV coming this afternoon with 2 HD DVR's for living room and bedroom and a 3rd standard for the kids room. I only have the Subwoorfer, floors and center channels hooked up because I have to mount the other 4 speakers. My living room is a wreck but I decided to check out some sound with blue ray and played some socom online as well. Just those speakers hooked up are amazing and I also put up the samsung in the living room because the Vizio was just a little to big for the living room. Very impressed with the samsung and I think things will be very amazing when I get it all done this week.

Sweet set up hannibal. :D Enjoy the movies games and football. You'll hear the crowd at football games like you never thought posible.

So I bought this SAMSUNG

for my bedroom and decided that because of distance while playing Socom from the larger one I decided to move it into the living room. Well over the last several days I have not been satisfied with the TV so I took it back today and bought this BEAST and just hooked it up. It has wireless internet and the XMB just like the PS3. Which I also purchased the new slim PS3 both from Nebraska Furniture Mart which was cheaper than Best Buy. This TV is flatout amazing. I was thinking about going with the new LED tv but when it came down to it the only thing that the LED had over the one I purchased was "I have an LED TV that is an 1" thick" and that is all. This Sony is amazing with blueray and I can't wait to log on and play socom tonight or tomorrow.