For those of you gentleman who enjoy wine...

I might be castrated for this but...

There are a wide variety of wines from an even wider variety of wine producing companies/families in this world and I happen to be a big fan of wine...in fact you can probably call me a Wine-O.

So hit me with it my fine gentleman...as I sit here and savor my fine Grenache, it would make me happy to hear what you have to say... :)

that's the spirit finally some love on this topic...

Lets hear everyone's suggestions, advice, descriptions of both the good and the bad!

The following are wines that I enjoy and some descriptions of my own/food pairings I believe go best with each. When purchasing wine, remember the fruitier the wine the more it sucks and often times in my experience possesses less alcohol content because the blending screws with the alcohol %.

-Riesling's-(A white wine made from Riesling grapes, indigenous to Germany, and it has nothing to do with the grapes being native German)...good for any grilled dish especially seafood. Excellent with steamed seafood and pastas with white sauces especially Alfredo. In my opinion it is best to spend the few extra dollars for the "Early Harvest" instead of the "Late Harvest"

-Grenache-it is a good "get drunk wine" because it is extremely high in alcohol content, good to pair with most grilled red meat dishes including buffalo

-Cabernet Sauvignon-I like the dryness of most I've tried, goes well with many different chicken dishes and salads, not a very good "drinking" wine by itself

-Chianti- ALWAYS PURCHASE Chianti produced in the CLASSICO REGION OF TUSCANY! Chianti is very textured and somewhat bold, it is good to pair with red meats (including a good burger) and pastas served with red sauce or a mild pesto...a good producer that is good in price would be Bella Notte.

-Barbaresco-very deep and the taste definitely gets better with time, if you purchase a Barbaresco, don't go cheap (it would be like buying a Kia and expecting it to perform like an Lamborghini...not gonna cut it)

-Rose (or Rosso)-very sweet and full, leaves a somewhat cherry aftertaste and is great to pair with seafood, lamb, and is a good "drinking" wine

IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO IMPRESS THE LADIES:

Go with a Brunello and take heed of the following items when purchasing Brunello!

1) Ensure that Brunello possesses the D.O.C.G. (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita) status. And it also ensures the quality of the Brunello and that it is one of the greatest wines of Italy.

2) Expensive DEFINITELY is THE KEY! When you're trying to make it a special night you don't want to spare expense, the BEST Brunello's I've partaken in have extended way beyond the $150 per bottle park (I paid almost $220 for one of Italy's best one time, just wish I could remember the name or still had the bottle.)

3) In my opinion, of the 2 classes of Brunello those aged not less than 4 years (Normale) and those aged not less than 5 years (Riserva), Normale's are best. Especially those aged in "old" oak barrels as opposed to "new" oak barrels.

4) Brunello's are made in 3 different regions and Brunello's are not allowed to be blended with each other, so each region (or altitude) possesses it's own distinction. I prefer Brunello's of the higher altitude, they have a more crisp taste than those of the middle and low altitudes.

One of the BEST Brunello's I've had is made by Arvi, a Swiss Vintner. It is on the pricier side at $80-$90 a bottle depending on where you make your purchase.

Of the better cheaper Brunello's is made by Rosso di Montalcino, which can cost from $15-$20 per bottle.

I hope you all have enjoyed my selections and are able to get use from them!!!!!

Guest [iLL] Andawg

1st nice choice in topics, My wife and I enjoy many great wines.

2nd Expensive does not mean BEST. But true, cheap DOES mean worst. There are some very good wines around $30

As for choices, I'm a Pinot Noir guy. I grew up in Oregon and the Willamette Valley Pinots some years can beat Italy's

I like a good Riesling.

However, I DID just crack open a new chardonnay this weekend with a little hippo sitting on the label called "Fat Bastard" Chardonnay. It was DELICIOUS.

Give it a try. Not too dry...a little bold......and the ladies love the adorable fat hippo who's ass is pushing the label down the bottle.

Andawg ]

1st nice choice in topics, My wife and I enjoy many great wines.

2nd Expensive does not mean BEST. But true, cheap DOES mean worst. There are some very good wines around $30

Good shit Andawg...how long have you and your wife enjoyed the tastes of good wine?

Very true that there are many great wines for around $30, but as far as Brunello's go I've found that generally the more expensive, the better the Brunello tends to be. And yes cheap DOES mean worst...good call with that statement.

If Carlos Rossi was good wine, I'd be drinking a gallon every night!

Most of Yellow Tail's selection is very good and not bad for the cost. I'm also a fan of Ed Domonico Wines, their entire wine selection hosts the D.O.C.G. status and they produce one of the finest Chianti's I've ever tasted, especially considering the cost of $16 a bottle.

Does this "Fat Bastard" have a website TOW? I'm not sure if I've seen it at the wine distributor that I frequent.

APCers might want to try wine from "Ravenwood" ;D :P

ARAS_BOURNE ]

Red Cat ... A red Semi-sweet made in New York.

Bully Hill ... also a red made in New York.

I dont drink wine, but my wife does,

She likes bully hill as we are in NY and she likes the sweet stuff. That can be white or read wine too.

Please.....any suggestions on really sweet wine?

Also while on our honeymoon she had verdi...its really really cheap come to find out but she loves it as well.

I drink svedka vodka, Dissarano, and captain morgan private stock.

Proper aristocrat answer:

I drink Cabernet Sauvignon, in particularly I favor the Tignanello Italian Sauvignon. I enjoy a Cabernet that has a liveliness and an even degree of richness, yet one that usually finishes with firm astringency.

Proper bum answer:

Where da MadDog 20/20 at? Down me some bum wine! and Hit my woman up with some of dat Boone’s farm!

Real answer:

I don’t drink much wine but I do cook with it some times.

Goat.

Well I am not a wine connosieur, but rather I am a beer one.

I have enjoyed some wine and there is a great wine maker here in Iowa that has won a few prestigious awards. It is also a very new company. They are called fireside. Here is their website: http://www.firesidewinery.com

In fact my best friend from high school is in the picture there.

Wll, I'm somewhat of a wine carnivore ;) myself as a matter of fact, my girl and I are members of the wine club at the Wilson Creek Winery in Temecula, CA. http://www.wilsoncreekwinery.com/

We go once a month for tastings and pick up our 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of Almond Champagne that comes with our membership. I consider myself a Merlot type of guy, but will try most evey kind once.

I take exception to the gentleman who claims you cant get a cheap wine that tastes good. Charles Shaw, or as we call it areound here "2 buck chuck" has been known to actually win blind taste tests and as the nick name says it's only $2 a bottle...lol....

As far as APC and Ravenswood-winery goes, I too noticed it one day while I was poking around in "Bev-Mo", Beverages and More that is, and I was curious where exactly that Logo came from. My guess is neither Ravens-wood or APC are the originators. http://www.ravenswood-wine.com/

but along the same lines as logos go, I always wanted to ask SNIPER where or how he got the logo for Red-Cell....you know, the Stone-Faced skull......that was awsome...anyone seen it before or since?

Havoc actually had Stickers/decals of it made for all of us last Christmas....I put it on my snowboard...it looks awsome, thanks again Havoc!

Boy did I get off topic, ahh, who cares, I'm bored.

-Omni

-Omni