3D TV's Without The Glasses This Year

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/24/is-toshiba-ready-to-offer-glasses-free-3d-tvs-by-year-end/

3D TVs that don’t require glasses and thus eliminate the incompatibility problem between glasses offered by different makers: that doesn’t sound too bad, does it? Rumors about such TVs coming from Toshiba emerged today in various media [JP] in Japan, and according to those reports, the devices are expected to arrive in Japan by year-end.

And if the rumors are to be believed, potential buyers will be able to choose between three different models, which could be sized at about 21 inches. The displays are reportedly offering a relatively wide viewing angle, which makes it possible to view 3D images for more than one person and from more than just one position (unlike in the case of the Nintendo 3DS, for example, which requires users to look straight at the device at all times).

This sounds like the glasses-free 3D display Toshiba showed back in April (pictured above) and which features WXGA (1,280×800) resolution, 480 cd/m2 brightness, and ±15 degrees (horizontal) 3D viewing angle.

Toshiba is apparently planning to price the 3D TVs at “several hundred thousand yenâ€, whatever that may mean (100,000 Yen currently translate to $1,180).

Japanese IT news site Impress just posted an official statement [JP] from Toshiba. The company says it can’t confirm the reports and that it’s not able to go into details such as technical specs at this point. Toshiba also says it’s currently investigating how future 3D TVs can look like and when it’s the best time for commercialization.

post-10687-140900775057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crusty_Demons

Well back when the convex TV idea was thrown at the wall. I remember a story about how a 3D TV without glasses would work. It would work like those pictures you made in grammar school, where you cut one picture into strips and pasted the strips on one side of the folds on a page, then cut another picture on the other sides of the folds so that when you looked one way, one picture, the other way, a different picture. Well the idea for the TV is that there would effectively be one TV for the left eye and another for the right, but on the same screen.

But regardless, I was planning on waiting for THESE TV's instead of that lame glasses idea. I already wear glasses. I don't need another pair. :loco:

I'm guessing it's like anything else the initial demo models and such will be small. I don't think they stand a chance in hell of mass marketing these things if they can't go big. I'm think we'll be hearing a lot more about these in the future.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

willywonka159;815971']But 3D movies already suck. And I refuse to wear glasses while playing video games.

Everything is not for everyone.. But those who are not so set in their ways that they can take a risk and try something new I guarantee you you will not be disappointed. I'm not talking about that real 3d crap that they are over charging you for at the movie theaters with the passive glasses. I am talking about the real deal with the active shutter glasses. It's expensive no doubt but if you know someone who has the setup take a chance maybe ask them to let you try a game or two on their setup.

All I'm saying is it's just sad to see people write something off completely without even giving it a chance.

I picked up the 55" Sony 3D and I switched over to Directv for the 3D channels. So far I am absolutely amazed at the picture. Even the upconvert of 2D to 3D is pretty bad ass. It's, obviously, not as crisp as 3D but still pretty damn good. I watched the UFC fights last night in upconverted 3D and was impressed. I'm eagerly waiting for college football so I can watch a few of the games on ESPN 3D. And the glasses arent that bad.

Crusty_Demons;815960']People used to say the same thing about HD. I wouldn't knock it until you get the chance to play a video game with it. Words cannot explain how cool it is.

Thats people I am myself, I always wanted a HD tv though. Meh I am fine without the stupid glasses on my face haha, maybe when they make it so I can touch and move the object we can talk but no thanks right now.

BTW- I have tried and find it lame so I am not writing it off without trying it.

Edited by Neoblackhound