Had a Guy Steal my CC information

I get on my Online Banking today and noticed some odd charges. I immediately got everything stopped and called the police. I am really not a victim anymore but wouldn't mind finding who and how they did it. I'm usually pretty careful. I really want to know if it's someone I know or a business I purchased from you know.

Here's what I got and I would like to see if anyone has any ideas on how to figure out who did this.

The guys stupid because he made purchases at dumb places like.

Domino's Pizza in NC.

Netflix which is going to a NC address.

Fandango.com where he bought tickets.

And Jillian micheals.com.

Domino's I called and the manager could not find the ticket. He said he had over 300 tickets from the weekend and it was hard to find. He did try though.

The other places wouldn't give me the guys address. But one did slip and give me the guys email address but it's a Gmail account.

I live in Oklahoma.

No doubt they'll catch the guy but I was told by my bank that they don't notify me when they do.

So I'm on the case myself. If I could find the address or name I could give it to the police and I would get the pleasure of getting him handcuffed my self.

Anyone have any clues as to how I could find his information?

It could have been a neighbors house or a friends... Netflix is the same thing he could have used a false address and just uses the streaming. I admire your effort but you have to figure that this guy managed to steal your cc from half a country away... I wouldn't assume that he is an idiot and I wouldn't assume that this is the first or last time he will do this.

Crusty_Demons;818156']It could have been a neighbors house or a friends... Netflix is the same thing he could have used a false address and just uses the streaming. I admire your effort but you have to figure that this guy managed to steal your cc from half a country away... I wouldn't assume that he is an idiot and I wouldn't assume that this is the first or last time he will do this.

clearly they are all in NC.....the guy is not that smart

That sucks Marauder I'm pulling for you. I had my email get hacked last week. Some jag was sending my contacts a bunch of spam. Try sending the police in the netflix direction. That seems like a pretty good lead.

Your bank sucks for not telling you. I love my bank because if they see a couple of purchases out of state, stuff I don't normally buy, or an amount I don't usually spend they freeze my account. It is frustrating when you get your account frozen for buying gas on a road trip but in the grand scheme of things I love that it will be very hard for someone to bleed my account dry. They always contact me about everything too.

Edited by Prane

• Directors

well, someone knew you because you need the CC billing zip to use it on netflex, not to mention dominos asks the CCV number on the back

I've dealt with this many of times unfortunately Marauder and I know how bad it sucks. I believe I have had a credit card compromised around 5 times, the most recent being last November or December. They actually caught that criminal, as he had been doing this for months and all the signs pointed back to him from a plethora of fraud reports. He was...a Wendy's Drive Thru Cashier. What he was doing was taking a cell phone picture of the credit cards, then sending the pictures out to co-conspirators to make reproductions of the original card. The factor that helped in him getting caught is the proximity to the cards being compromised, all of which were from Illinois and all the fraudulent charges took place in Illinois.

Unfortunately, being an out of state matter, I wouldn't say your thief will be caught for sure. It's a sad fact, but there's so many of these cases and the criminals are becoming increasingly smarter in how they do things. This person that stole yours is not one of the smart ones, so hopefully the evidence will lead right to him. The important part is that you established that the charges were fraudulent and are off the hook for those charges. I would love to see this guy go down for what he did, hence my Criminal Justice background. Make sure you fill out the fraudulent charge claim from your Credit Card provider and send it back ASAP. They have deadlines for which that you have to supply your written statement in support of the fraudulent charge. They will usually have that claim sheet in the mail the next day, so expect it later this week or early next week.

As far as locating the guy. If you can get a phone number on him, there are plenty of services that will give you an address for the cell phone owner or even land line. I did this once for a guy that tried to skimp out on a payment for a hunting item I sent him in advance of payment. He was ducking my calls and emails, so I paid $5 for a perfectly legal online service to do a full search. I was able to get his name, home address, and a few other pieces of information. I threatened legal action and made him aware of the fact that I now knew his full name/address. I received a paypal payment within hours of that voicemail...LOL.

CDBS14;818166']clearly they are all in NC.....the guy is not that smart

It doesn't matter all you would have to do is use a fake address or pretty much any address that isn't yours. I feel for the guy and everyone hates a thief I'm just saying that this is not a new practice and these guys know what they are doing. You would have to be a complete dummy to use your real address with a stolen cc and if your a complete dummy there is a good chance you wouldn't have the first clue where to get a stolen cc number.

Good points AC.. I'm guessing that stuff could be included in the sale of a stolen cc number. That would mean there is a chance whoever got your number and sold it is someone close to you. Otherwise they got the info online somehow.

Stolen cc numbers can sell online for 2 dollars because they are so plentiful.

The bank won't give you the info they have, or the progress they've made, for good reason.

If they tap the wrong guy, but give people info in the meantime, there are some people out there, as I'm sure you know, who would take matters into their own hands in the interim.

Think of the litigation against the bank if they handed you info pegging the wrong guy that you harmed by that person's family?

It's right for the bank to withhold the info until the matter is cleared.

As for the info you have, the banks, I have found, are pretty good at tracking these things down.

I have been hit with a similar situation twice in the last three years. They were kinda tipped off when I took out money from an ATM in Illinois, but just 45 mins later, I had "made purchases" from two Targets in Kentucky. The bank later let me know that the person was an employee of a Target I went to here in IL and passed the CC info to an accomplice in KY. Shifty bastards, those minimum wage employees.

There are employees in bank divisions that get their rocks off on getting these people, and if you've supplied the info to them, such as which purchases are the fraudulent ones, they can go through the legal motions to subpoena the information they need from these business that are, by law, not obligated to supply to you.

It will take time, though.

Tow is exactly right. The companies will not disclose any info on the perps. I have had this happen 3 times in the last 2 years. Luckily, all my cc's have protection. I tried to check into the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas and they denied my card because someone was buying shit in N.C. the same day. The cc company stopped it instantly and all 3 times, i just disputed the charges and it was all taken care of very quickly and I never heard about it again.

I don't feel they are a scam.

I do feel, however, it's like trying to protect yourself from mosquito bites during the day by wearing a suit of armor.

In other words...a little bit of overkill for the cumulative price you will eventually pay.

The monthly/yearly fees don't seem bad on their own, but cumulatively, when added altogether...it's a ton of money to pay for something that may never happen.

Especially with the willingness of financial institutions nowadays (as I mentioned above in my own experience) to protect their customers from fraudulent purchases and not hold them accountable, it minimizes this need even further.

• Directors
TOW-19;818235']I don't feel they are a scam.

I do feel' date=' however, it's like trying to protect yourself from mosquito bites during the day by wearing a suit of armor.

In other words...a little bit of overkill for the cumulative price you will eventually pay.

The monthly/yearly fees don't seem bad on their own, but cumulatively, when added altogether...it's a ton of money to pay for something that may never happen.

Especially with the willingness of financial institutions nowadays (as I mentioned above in my own experience) to protect their customers from fraudulent purchases and not hold them accountable, it minimizes this need even further.[/quote']

Almost like insurance hehe

Tow is exactly right. The companies will not disclose any info on the perps. I have had this happen 3 times in the last 2 years. Luckily, all my cc's have protection. I tried to check into the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas and they denied my card because someone was buying shit in N.C. the same day. The cc company stopped it instantly and all 3 times, i just disputed the charges and it was all taken care of very quickly and I never heard about it again.

Mine was N.C. too. Did they buy from Dominios?

IRISH BULL;818226']Speaking of this subject' date=' has anybody ever used those identity protection companies? And if so, is it worth getting? Or are they just a scam?[/quote']

From what I have heard about them these places are mostly a scam. All they do is place “fraud alerts†at all three of the credit bureaus for your ID. These alerts expire in 90 days so they continuously re-apply them for you before they expire. These alerts require the credit agencies to get verbal authorization to prove that you are really authorizing new accounts or activity. I'm pretty sure you can just put these alerts on your accounts yourself and update them if you wanted to. I don't really think they do much more than this.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm