I was curious as to the thought behind allowing 2 lives in Search & Destroy. One of the things that makes this mode so great and popular is that fact that it ISNT respawn. With only 3 minute rounds, why would you allow a 2nd life? S&D is one of the most popular modes in the game for a reason, why change it?

WiZ ]

I was curious as to the thought behind allowing 2 lives in Search & Destroy. One of the things that makes this mode so great and popular is that fact that it ISNT respawn. With only 3 minute rounds, why would you allow a 2nd life? S&D is one of the most popular modes in the game for a reason, why change it?

Well,

We put our crack team of UF staff on it for a night of playing.

We balanced all the statistics and the ballistics of one vs multiple respawns.

We counteracted any possible variances of wind resistance from all the various maps.

We adjusted for potential injuries from controller hand cramps in the suspenseful rounds.

We also brought in actuarial experts from France, Iceland, China and Laos for probability clauses.

And in the end.....we just figured......what the heck.

WiZ ]
Red0ctobeR ]

Always with the questioning.

Questions are good....... without them people would step back and think enough. :)

I just thought the 2 lives with such short 3 minute rounds was... uh... interesting.

Interesting is good.....without it people would just be bored. :)

;)

Interesting?

What I think is interesting is tow talking to his bag of raspberry M&M's. then saying that he can't get the bag open. Then out comes the words " I think they child proofed the bag!" Well big guy if ya can't get the bag open they must have Tow proofed the bag. In other words a child probably could open them...Just a girly man can't. ;D

Red0ctobeR ]

Interesting?

What I think is interesting is tow talking to his bag of raspberry M&M's. then saying that he can't get the bag open. Then out comes the words " I think they child proofed the bag!" Well big guy if ya can't get the bag open they must have Tow proofed the bag. In other words a child probably could open them...Just a girly man can't. ;D

I have to stop allowing my Staff to play along with me on nights when I'm not quite myself. :-*

I agree with WiZ, S&D is the best mode and with 2nd life you guys are taking the "REAL FUN" of S&D. Whole point of Search & Destroy is no Respawn, its 3min. rounds it should stay like that. All the modes are pretty much "RESPAWN" instead of S&D so why take that away?

I personally hate respawn because there is no real point in staying alive because if you die you can comeback, beats the whole purpose of playing the game.

Undertow ]
Red0ctobeR ]

Interesting?

I have to stop allowing my Staff to play along with me on nights when I'm not quite myself. :-*

OOHH don't get mad get glad. ;D

HTK ]

I personally hate respawn because there is no real point in staying alive because if you die you can comeback, beats the whole purpose of playing the game.

So let me ask this....from a purely analytical standpoint......if you personally hate respawn because there is no real point in staying alive, and it beats the "whole purpose" of playing the game....then why do you elect to play a game that's pretty much 85% respawn? I think Search and Destroy is the only mode without a respawn, correct?

You know, not to sidetrack tows question, but I thought I would hate respawn too. But it makes the game more difficult. When you have a full ground war there are guys flying around all over the place. There is a fast paced feel about the game. Hell last night I was in a team objective and there were choppers air strikes, people being killed left and right. It was very exciting. That is the kind of thing that you usually didn't find in socom. Maybe in a small killing fields where all the grenades go flying and people going left and right. But within seconds everyone is dead and within 5 minutes the game is over. NOW that isn't fun.

Undertow ]
HTK ]

So let me ask this....from a purely analytical standpoint......if you personally hate respawn because there is no real point in staying alive, and it beats the "whole purpose" of playing the game....then why do you elect to play a game that's pretty much 85% respawn?  I think Search and Destroy is the only mode without a respawn, correct?

I like the gameplay, graphics and my clan is on it. When i log on and nobody is on, i play only search and destroy. There's a value to actually stay alive and not die. Respawn is more like, Chaos. People all over the place, no order at all. I still play it tho, but i personally do not like it. One mode that isnt respawn now has 2 lives/respawn. I dont want you to get mad or anything i'm just speaking my mind.

Red0ctobeR ]

Hell last night I was in a team objective and there were choppers air strikes, people being killed left and right. It was very exciting.

Thats the beauty of CoD4.  Your able to get a few different gameplay styles due to the modes it offers.  And each mode (depending on your personal preferences) offers a certain level of skill & gameplay.  Search & Destroy is one of the most popular modes in the CoD series.  For somebody like me who had been playing it (CoD2 was a launch game for the 360) a long time you hate to see what this mode brings, altered.

I realize the Crucible is a "test" type thing.  My original post was just to find out why.....  Not to start a "dont question us" type thread.  Im sure many of these things will be tweaked at a later date with discussion from clan reps and UF staff input.

I don't know why many times we try to answer something, people begin to view it as a "don't question us" mentality or think it will go down that road. And when it's certainly not that mentality, and smoeone merely mentions it as such, like Wiz there, people can instanly latch onto it and think that's really how things work here. You should know this by now and thinking anything but really discredits us as a whole.

Listen, guys....it's a NEW game. New to us, UF, anyway. We're trying some things out. Different things. Seeing what fits and what doesn't. It's an evaluation, FOUR week tourney.....I think ANYONE can live with a little change in even their favorite things. I don't understand the small hush over a small crowd when they learn that S&D may be changed for the Crucible. It's not like this is the 13-week tacmap tourney. All of the sudden, people think we're messing with the Bible and don't care about your love of the game or your feelings.

And as for asking you to clarify, HTK, you weren't being called to the mat. For the most part, I solely construct the actual rules and game play here in UF, so I value opinions...and sometimes I do try and get into the mentality of the gamer, to see WHY you like things and why you DON'T. It helps UF become better through each and every tourney. I wasn't questioning you.....I was merely asking a question.

Undertow ]

I don't know why many times we try to answer something, people begin to view it as a "don't question us" mentality or think it will go down that road.  And when it's certainly not that mentality, and smoeone merely mentions it as such, like Wiz there, people can instanly latch onto it and think that's really how things work here.  You should know this by now and thinking anything but really discredits us as a whole.

Listen, guys....it's a NEW game.  New to us, UF, anyway.  We're trying some things out.  Different things.  Seeing what fits and what doesn't.  It's an evaluation, FOUR week tourney.....I think ANYONE can live with a little change in even their favorite things.  I don't understand the small hush over a small crowd when they learn that S&D may be changed for the Crucible.  It's not like this is the 13-week tacmap tourney.  All of the sudden, people think we're messing with the Bible and don't care about your love of the game or your feelings.

And as for asking you to clarify, HTK, you weren't being called to the mat.  For the most part, I solely construct the actual rules and game play here in UF, so I value opinions...and sometimes I do try and get into the mentality of the gamer, to see WHY you like things and why you DON'T.  It helps UF become better through each and every tourney.  I wasn't questioning you.....I was merely asking a question.

OH i know man, i'm upfront with all my stuff and i like people to be upfront with me. Like i said and like you said 90% of the game is Respawn so why not leave S&D the way it was meant to be. ;)

But then again like you've stated its a 4 week tourney so its really not a big deal in the end.

For this the FIRST tourney at COD, just think of it like this. It's not only an evaluation of prospective clans. It's also being used to evaluate the game itself, the different modes, maps, game types, rules, respawns, etc. etc.. etc..

So like Tow said, questions concerns, comments etc etc are not only welcomed they are encouraged, this is a dry run. Things will go down as they are proposed and I doubt much will be changed for the first run through, it's just too much a hassle to go changing things at the last minute, so do it this way for now. Afterwards we can go through what worked and what didn't, what you liked what you didn't, hear suggestions and comments about it all and then make any changes deemed to need changing. Just try it this way and then comment. It' doesn't do much good to start second guessing the temporary rules set for evaluation before we even try them out.