Jim Berkland (Geologist), predicts West Coast Earthquake for this March 19th, 2011

For those that don't know him, Jim Berkland is the geologist that successfully predicted the 1989 World Series (in fact he lost his job with the USGS for making his prediction). His methods are based on the lunar effects on the tides and observing where fish and mammals start dieing off.

His claim is that the next big earthquake along the ring of fire will be this weekend. He was just interviewed on FOX News (March 15th, 2011) and here is that interview segment:

That's very creepy. I do like in California, but I'm in the valley which, I hope, is far enough from the fault line to not hurt very much. My only question to this guy is how many earth quakes has he predicted that haven't happened. Lets just not focus one the 2 or 3 examples he was right.

I was talking to a couple people about this yesterday and they brought up a very good point. If we look at Japan and the west coast, both places have very strict earth quake policies for buildings. The actual quake in Japan didn't kill that many people, somewhere in the 100s. It was the Tsunami afterwards that fucked up the place. The quake in 1989 was a 7.1, but the Bay Area recovered rather timely. Even the 1906 quake in SF, it wasn't the quake that ruined the city, it was the fires and lack of water.

Some geologist trying to make a name for himself? Maybe a book deal? It's impossible to predict this crap they have been saying California is on the brink of doom for as long as I have been alive probably longer.

And the difference between a 7.1 and a 9.0 is huge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Edited by Crusty_Demons

I wouldn't say "impossible". I mean it's an educated guess based on what they do for a living. Can you ever accurately predict mother nature NO but if this guy has an idea then this video has served it purpose and probably will prevent alot. Better to have an educated guess and prepare then be ignorant and have a real mess.

That's my point though they have been making educated guesses about this for a long time and the fact is they are always wrong. Could one get lucky sometime? Sure but until the earth speaks to us we will likely never know. These fault lines cover hundreds of miles and it's impossible to tell where and when one will slip.

People will always be ignorant. The people in NO were warned that a CAT 5 hurricane was coming at least a day in advance yet there they were on the news getting interviewed saying "Yeah we are just gonna ride it out"

Edited by Crusty_Demons

There is a problem with that video (T-Bird's)... SLC is at about ~4200 feet and Kansas, which it shows as land, ranges from ~2900 to ~3900 feet. Unless the pole shift will cause the laws of physics to change, that just isn't possible. If the ocean is in SLC... everyone in the US better move to Albuquerque (~5200 feet) or to the highest points in the Rockies or Appalachians...

I actually heard that from 19th to the 26th is the window he actually predicted but meh idk. If it happens I think me and the fam are sorta ready.

I would also like to show ya guys these pics. We had a huge thunder storm and hail storm we never get this round here NEVER last time it snowed around here was in the early 70's. I'm in Richmond California btw.

170c8ebe.jpg

c926b9db.jpg

5b3a770f.jpg

Edited by Neoblackhound

Wrath;828803']I actually heard that from 19th to the 26th is the window he actually predicted but meh idk. If it happens I think me and the fam are sorta ready.

I would also like to show ya guys these pics. We had a huge thunder storm and hail storm we never get this round here NEVER last time it snowed around here was in the early 70's. I'm in Richmond California btw.

170c8ebe.jpg

c926b9db.jpg

5b3a770f.jpg

Oh snap! Get ready Snake Plissken.